Anyone own a 2540?

/ Anyone own a 2540? #1  

jmh1783

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 HST
I visited my local dealer again yesterday. Drove the 2540 again. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on them? It looks like it has the same 2.7 liter engine that the 4540 has just tuned differently. 2650 vs 2058 RPM to get PTO speed. How is the 2540 on fuel? Anyone mow/brush cut on hills with it? Does it have enough power for up and down cutting? I'd be using a 6' cutter.

Anyone plow with one? I've been going back and forth with the 4540 and figured the extra weight would be better for plowing. The new property I'm buying has at least 1/4 mile of driveway. However I have pasture to mow and am concerned that 5200 lbs might be a bit much. The 2540 is lighter and should have less of an impact. The soil here is dense clay with some rocks.

Thanks for your help.

/ Anyone own a 2540? #2  
A number of us have the HST version of that tractor, (2538 HST), and everyone seems to love it! Check out this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mahindra-buying-pricing/348064-info-mahindra-2538-a.html

The 2540 has slightly different specs, notably a more powerful loader. A few nuances too like a standard suspension seat and the foot guards are clear instead of metal.

I use mine for loader work with a grapple, dirt moving, and running a 6' rough cutter. It is a beast and cannot be stopped so far. Very stable, loads of power for my needs, and reasonable on fuel. I have not done a gallon/hr calculation, but perhaps one of the other 2538 HST owners have. A 2540 should be a bit better too as it has an almost identical engine and is more efficient without the hydro loss.

LA Confederate has some great videos of his 2538 ripping up a food plot on his property with his box blade and then with a plow as well I believe... I could only find the box blade vid

There was a picture on the garden forum of his 2 bottom plow work. Sure looks nice and here is the link. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...your-garden-grow-post4424113.html#post4424113

Good luck with your decision!

/ Anyone own a 2540?
Thanks Snowback. I have read all the stuff on the 2538 including the videos. Looks like a great machine. I was attracted to the higher lift capacity of the 2540. I did make the mistake of driving a 2538 cab model and I think I'm coming down with cab fever however the additional cost will likely keep me in check. As I've told the dealers I've been talking to, I can either buy less tractor and more implements or more tractor and fewer implements. :) I'm glad I still have time to make a decision.

Have you had any issues with your 2538? Anything you wish it had or perhaps added later? A lot of the tractors I'm looking at are missing the telescoping 3pt arms. From what I've read the solution is either a long crowbar or a quick hitch. How do you deal with manhandling heavy implements?

/ Anyone own a 2540? #4  
Thanks Snowback. I have read all the stuff on the 2538 including the videos. Looks like a great machine. I was attracted to the higher lift capacity of the 2540. I did make the mistake of driving a 2538 cab model and I think I'm coming down with cab fever however the additional cost will likely keep me in check. As I've told the dealers I've been talking to, I can either buy less tractor and more implements or more tractor and fewer implements. :) I'm glad I still have time to make a decision.

Have you had any issues with your 2538? Anything you wish it had or perhaps added later? A lot of the tractors I'm looking at are missing the telescoping 3pt arms. From what I've read the solution is either a long crowbar or a quick hitch. How do you deal with manhandling heavy implements?

I love the 2538. HST was a must for me as I do only a little true straight line ground engaging. Mostly loader and cutter work in the woods where i need to moderate speed frequently. A cab would be great, especially in the summer down here, but I would have it torn off in about a week in the tight woods.

As for implements, I find that I use my low back and a stray 2x4 that might be laying around, probably should get a big crow bar as that would make things a lot easier. Quick hitch is something I am interested in as well, but I use a 3 pt mounted drawbar to move my transport trailer around, so there would still be lots of on/off. In all honesty, I have found hooking up the 6' MD cutter and 6' HD box blade easier on this machine as compared to my prior Max 25 with 4' implements. That was a much smaller setup, but more pain in the rear. I am certain it is because of the clevis pins and brackets I went with on the heavier duty implements. I can back into where I last dropped it off, (as level as possible), and then lift the arms till it basically lines up. Then slide pins in through implement clevis brackets. Some wiggling involved, but much easier than trying to wrestle the lower 3pt arms around the permanent single pins on lighter duty equipment. Just my 2 cents.

Now on what I needed - I did add two things. The suspension seat from the 2540, as I do a lot of rough terrain work, and also a cruise control option. The seat was +/- $300 after sharing cost with dealer on the initial purchase. The cruise control was around $150 installed and is an electrically actuated magnet that grabs and secures the HST pedal at the speed you desire. Makes long mowing passes and transport down the county road a breeze. It is a utilitarian/basic machine with not too many frills like cupholders, but it's heavy, powerful, and sturdy for a mid size CUT. (And it's very reasonably priced too!) Some others may have more refined Hydros and loader controls, but this beast has suited me just fine. Also if you drive it around again, note how tight a turning radius it has. I think it can corner as well as the smaller Max did.

Not sure if it matters to you, but this machine with implements can still be hauled around with a half ton as well - barely...

Good luck!

Clearing deadfall 2 resize.jpg

/ Anyone own a 2540? #5  
   / Anyone own a 2540? #6  
Is the 2540 a slightly larger frame than the 2538?

I might be wrong, but I think the overall chassis/frame is the same. The HST changes up the tranny configuration of course, but when they were sitting side by side it looked the same to my eyes. (With the exception of the loader, seat, and deck shields, etc... Engine specs look a touch different, but I think that is tuning and HST effects. Maybe a dealer can straighten us all out.

At this link, the "Dimensions" and "Tire sizes" are identical - http://mahindrausa.com/sites/default/files/tractor/pdf/23386 MAH542500 2500 Ser_8pg 051216 (1)_1.pdf Doesn't look like the cab was available on the 2540 when this went to press.

/ Anyone own a 2540?
There isnt a 2540 cab unfortunately. The 2540 gets a more powerful loader which is a head scratcher. The frame size is the same as the 2538. The engine thing is a pet peeve. The 2540 has to go all the way to 2650 rpm for PTO speed while the 2538 gets there at 2400. Weirder yet it looks like the 4540 has the same engine and it does it at a lowely 2058 rpm.

Snowback: You mention haulling around a half ton, I assume you mean logs like your picture or a trailer. I cant imagine you have many hills in your area. I wonder how the 2538 would deal with the load on a hill. Might be a bit much.

/ Anyone own a 2540?
mike69440: No cab 2540. Would be nice. Mahindra actually has one of the better websites. None of them are that great. You should check out Branson's. Its dreadful. There are mistakes in their online data that contradict their pdf brochures. The printed brochures contradict the website and the pdfs. I was interested in one of their smaller tractors a 4015 which only shows gear models online. My dealer said no, they are availabe in hydros. Go figure.

/ Anyone own a 2540? #9  
Snowback: You mention haulling around a half ton, I assume you mean logs like your picture or a trailer. I cant imagine you have many hills in your area. I wonder how the 2538 would deal with the load on a hill. Might be a bit much.

For clarity - when I said "this machine with implements can still be hauled around with a half ton as well - barely..." I meant that I can move a fully loaded 20' trailer with tractor and implements safely using my Ram 1500 half ton truck. Sorry for being unclear, but that is funny... :cool:

As for the tractor, I am certain it can haul around many tons on a trailer. It pulls my 2,400# equipment trailer like it's not even there in mid range. Our property has no really steep hills, but I do mow brush and tall weeds up and down a little bit of a grade from front to rear of the property in mid range, and there is no discernible difference from when mowing going down the slope. It would really be great if the dealer would let you try it out for an hour or two to make your final decision. Always is best to be certain that the machine will meet your needs. If you think about it, this mid size CUT with 38HP has a very high power to weight ratio relative to the very large CUTs. It's still a medium large CUT with lots of built in weight, but its a bit more nimble and lighter of foot than say a 3540 HST or something of that sort. (Plus it has very similar power...)

Below is final clarification of my "half ton comment".

Rig and Tractor Loaded out with implements sized.jpg

/ Anyone own a 2540? #10  
You're right jmh1783 - I've looked closer at Mike's link. That Campway dealer is either confused, or being deceptive. Clearly they used the same picture for their advertisement of the "2540 Cab" and the "2538 Cab". And in both pictures it is indeed a 2538 HST. In the description of the 2540 they also say it is available if HST... :laughing: I think they are just confused...

If you are concerned about ground engaging power, I would encourage you to private message LA Confederate and ask how he likes the way his 2538 HST handles his 2 bottom plow. I think that would be a really good testament to grunt and capability. His garden rows sure look good!

Take care!