Anyone own a Diamond C or Big Tex dump trailer?

/ Anyone own a Diamond C or Big Tex dump trailer? #11  
   / Anyone own a Diamond C or Big Tex dump trailer? #13  
I have a big tex, 7 by 12, with spare, tarp, ramps, 2 way gate. 14K. I wanted something my tractor would fit in, so 7 foot wide and 12 long. I have hauled a lot of rock, dirt and scrap. If I had not wanted to haul the tractor, I would have went a lot smaller to get into tight places. And hauling rock and sand, you have to have brakes.

/ Anyone own a Diamond C or Big Tex dump trailer?
I'm the OP and appreciate the great info provided here. Great education. I'm narrowing things down and know some things I want. Remember, this is generally lighter duty for rural ag use. The worst will be occasional gravel and maybe only 3,000 lbs or so. Generally, wood chips and dirt. Life is just so much better with a dump trailer.

So far, I need double axle with brakes and 10K capacity. I also want a thicker steel floor and sides. Some low buck trailers are too thin. Also want roll tarp, spare tire and charger. I'm still thinking 5ft wide because that works for me and also looking at 10ft for the same reason.

/ Anyone own a Diamond C or Big Tex dump trailer? #15  
I recently bought a 5X10 Load Trail for general use - gravel, dirt, haul away junk, hay/straw, etc. I didn’t have a need to haul my tractor or anything too large so that simplified my choice.

I am really happy with my choice and I got a lot of use from it so far. I am towing it with my Jeep so the 5’ width is ideal as it tucks in nicely behind the tow vehicle. It is a Jeep so 7K max was fine for me.

Double axle for sure, roller tarp makes life easier, charger is handy for when it is parked in the winter. I got the spare tire - I am sure I will never use it but if hadn’t bought it I definitely would have needed it...

Good luck

/ Anyone own a Diamond C or Big Tex dump trailer? #16  
I have a Big Tex 10LX. It's 7'x12' and 9990 GVWR.

I can also attest that they will handle a lot more than rated for. I hauled some gravel for a friend and I was watching the springs to try and gauge when it was full/heavy enough and it ended up being about 12K Gross on the scale. Luckily we were only going about 3 miles. I was worried it wouldn't dump it but it did. The axle tags show they are actually 6k axles so it has some margin built in for the 9990 GVWR.

I have never had a load hang up on the rear D-rings as mentioned above, a few pounds of dirt or gravel yes, so that is a little annoying but I just sweep it out by hand while it's raised.

I have hauled my Lifted TJ in it and put my MT240 in just to see how it fit (Would need a 16' for it to fit with backhoe on).

Something to consider, here in TX 10,000 lbs is the amount where it about doubles the annual registration, under 10K is about $75.00, over 10K is $140.00.

/ Anyone own a Diamond C or Big Tex dump trailer? #17  
Most of the 10K units are actually rated at 9,800 to 9,990 - this puts them under CDL - as well as maintains the ½ truck use.....

/ Anyone own a Diamond C or Big Tex dump trailer? #18  
   / Anyone own a Diamond C or Big Tex dump trailer? #19  
Something you may want to check on, Where I got my gravel they had a 4 ton minimum. If you only got 1, you got charged for 4. I had a 7x14 Big Tex. It was a pretty good trailer. I was heavy, 4400# empty. I always asked for 5.5 tons of gravel and would get close at times, but once got 7k. Trailer struggled to dump that load. I only hauled gravel for myself, and got a bigger tractor, so I sold it to get a GN flatbed.

/ Anyone own a Diamond C or Big Tex dump trailer?
Something you may want to check on, Where I got my gravel they had a 4 ton minimum. If you only got 1, you got charged for 4. I had a 7x14 Big Tex. It was a pretty good trailer. I was heavy, 4400# empty. I always asked for 5.5 tons of gravel and would get close at times, but once got 7k. Trailer struggled to dump that load. I only hauled gravel for myself, and got a bigger tractor, so I sold it to get a GN flatbed.

Thank you. Trailers are in short supply with all the shutdowns and I've been unable to find anything that works for me.7K or 10K in a 5X10 be fine. My use is mostly wood chips, dirt, a few rocks and and a ton or so of gravel every now and then. It's very unlikely I'll ever haul more.

I did find a BigTex I like but their 7K 70 series had only 16 ga floor and sidewalls. Other brands are thicker and 16ga seems too thin for me so for now, I'm just waiting for something to turn up in my area.