Anyone own a small portable sawmill? advice on buying one please

/ Anyone own a small portable sawmill? advice on buying one please #1  

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
We have a lot of trees and the wind and rain supply a small amount of possible lumber to mill

I'm not planning on selling for profit but will be doing some honey do projects.

Any advice on what to look for or stay away from?

cant seem to find any used ones.

/ Anyone own a small portable sawmill? advice on buying one please #2  
Although they're geared more for commercial operations, Sawmill Exchange
Sawmill Exchange
has a few available. A word of caution; sawmill owners can be worse than tractor owners when it comes to which one to buy.

How much lumber are you thinking about, how big are the trees, and do you plan to make it stationary or would you like to move it around? You can buy a low-budget Hud-son, made in Upstate New York for around $2500. It's an all manual, low volume machine with a 12 foot track, but you can buy/build more length as needed. I"m considering one of these, but they will have to forgo the funky paint job.

From there the sky's the limit for prices, depending on what you want or need.

/ Anyone own a small portable sawmill? advice on buying one please #3  
There are several "Sawyers" here on TBN. I'm sure they will stumble onto this thread and offer excellent advice.

/ Anyone own a small portable sawmill? advice on buying one please #4  
There are several "Sawyers" here on TBN. I'm sure they will stumble onto this thread and offer excellent advice.

There was actually a good thread some time ago answering this same question. I learned a lot but don't remember where to look for it.
Some would tell the OP to use a search engine yet I believe there's value in starting a new discussion occasionally.

/ Anyone own a small portable sawmill? advice on buying one please #5  
There was actually a good thread some time ago answering this same question. I learned a lot but don't remember where to look for it.
Some would tell the OP to use a search engine yet I believe there's value in starting a new discussion occasionally.

I use the search function to add information to a thread. But I enjoy new threads.

If everyone used search the sound of crickets here would be deafening. :)

/ Anyone own a small portable sawmill? advice on buying one please #6  
There are lots of different ones out there...do some shopping...As the owner of a HUD-SON Oscar pro 336 I can say they are viable option...

If you are completely new to band saw mills...see If there are any close by folks that have and operate band mills and see if they will let you observe them sawing some logs...

Good luck...

/ Anyone own a small portable sawmill? advice on buying one please #7  
I was in a similar situation. I considered used equipment but after a year of looking at used for almost the same as new, I bought an HM 130 Max from Woodland Mills in the spring. I'm milling mostly dead Ash on my property for my own uses and am pleased with it so far. I also closely considered Hudson and Norwood but I think Woodland Mills is the best bang for the buck at this level. If you're doing volume or for profit, hydraulics is the way to go and that's a whole different price point.

/ Anyone own a small portable sawmill? advice on buying one please #9  
I use the search function to add information to a thread. But I enjoy new threads.

If everyone used search the sound of crickets here would be deafening.
:)

Well said.:thumbsup:

/ Anyone own a small portable sawmill? advice on buying one please #10  
I bought a Woodland Mills HM 130 a few years back for personal use around the property. It has come in handy and I have used it to build custom hunting blinds, mill my own 6x9 beams among many other projects. I love having it around. A you tuber I follow, The outsider does a good video on wether you should purchase a mill for home use.