Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently?

/ Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently? #1  

Mickey_Fx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204
Just received my new set of tines and have started to replace them. Unfortunately, as received they don't fit. The profile on the attachment end is much different than the factory tines. Have about a third of the tines installed and had to grind on each and every one of them to make fit.

Before anyone asks, I'm not going to say who I bought these from as I have yet to contact them.

Looking at the pics it should be obvious what the problem is. Can't say for sure if my tiller is something "special" or the mfgr didn't follow the factory profile on the attachment end. Gonna take a fair amount of time to rework 32 tines to get them to fit. Hope the qlty of the steel and the temper is better than the profile.

Right now all I can say is, if you have plans to replace your tines, be prepared to modify them so they fit.

Paid ~$240 including transportation for the set and with the needed mod, it's going to take maybe 4 hrs to replace the old ones. :(

Attachments

• tine 1 copy.jpg
    tine 1 copy.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 332
  • tine 3.jpg
    tine 3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 355
   / Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently? #2  
obviously what you bought were not the right ones for your tiller...they were close but no cigar...
If the company you purchased them from assisted in determining what you needed they may have supplied the closest thing available

/ Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently? #3  
Are you sure that is a Yanmar tiller? I have never seen any Yanmar tines with blue paint on them. Maybe a Mitsu or Iseki? If it was for a Yanmar and you got the correct bolt size (10mm or 12mm) then there should be zero modification required.

/ Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently? #4  
I agree with Aaron. I have had to replace tines over the years and the Yanmars fit nicely when the correct bolt is size is purchased. IIRC, I had some Iseki (or at least blue) tines, and they would not have fit your tiller. What brand is it?

/ Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently? #5  
Take a good clear picture of the data plate of the tiller so Make, Model, & serial number are readable, then send that picture and the 2 you have here back to the supplier. It wouldn't be the first time someone in the supply chain mismarked a part or put it in the wrong bin location in a warehouse.

/ Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently?
It for sure is a Yanmar tiller. Bought it from Ernie. The blue colored tines were what was on it when purchased.

Maybe the blue tines were not the original but that doesn't change the facts that these new tines don't fit. Over the yrs I posted pics of this tiller here on the forum. Here is just one.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...d1186680786-auto-tiller-controls-tiller-2.jpg

A few parts were removed while I was setting up the UFO controls.

/ Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently? #7  
My tiller has blue tines has well, it's a RSB-1600

/ Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently? #8  
It looks like you need the 12mm version- not the 10mm version. Do you have a picture showing the two tine's bolt holes side by side? You can see the contour difference in the attached picture.

tine.jpg

/ Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently?
You are right about the profile looking like the 12mm part. I've rechecked to day and for sure my tiller needs 10mm fasteners. No way will the 12mm bolt work. Being an old ME, this isn't exactly rocket science so to speak.

Guess one could use the 12mm tines but keep the 10mm fasteners. Maybe I've stumbled on to something, a variation, others can benefit from from this discussion.

/ Anyone replace tiller tines somewhat recently? #10  
Interesting, my RS1300N tiller uses the 12mm. Just changed them recently. Tines and bolts both were correct.