Anyone Running a Discbine on Lower Hp Tractor w-Success?

/ Anyone Running a Discbine on Lower Hp Tractor w-Success? #1  

leeave96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wheelhorse 520H & 314-8
Cutting Hay 218 JD555d and Krone 281cv Aug 22, 218 - YouTube

Several weeks back, I essentially clipped my fields with my Krone 2801cv mower conditioner (impeller - 8'-10" cut). I used my trusty JD5055d (Nebraska Tested at just over 50 PTO hp). The combo did fine, temperature needle moved a tad off it's normal mark. 4th gear low range - ground speed right at 5 mph. Cutting height at 5 inches.

Normally I use my IH Farmall 756 which is 70 PTO hp and it has no issues.

One thing that surprised me was the fuel use. The JD has about a 15 gallon fuel tank. Nebraska says under full load, about 3 gallons per hour fuel burn. I had just a bit less than a half tank when I started and the needle really moved towards empty! I use this tractor with a JD348 square baler, w/pan kicker and kicker racks in tow (level ground) and get great fuel mileage. Apparently the 348 combo is not overly taxing the JD based on fuel consumption. The Krone has it working/drinking...:)

Question is - anyone running a discbine type disc mower conditioner w/either rollers or impellers in heavy first cuts with a lower hp tractor successfully?

I doubt my JD would deliver the mail (nor would I recommend it) under those conditions, but in a pinch, perhaps the slower ground speed and higher stubble might get me through. Sometimes due to the day job I need to cut early in the morning or late evening/dark with heavy dews and where the sickle mower conditioner would otherwise plug, the Krone keeps going. I might try JD/Krone in first cut next spring for kicks. I still have and use my Hesston 7-ft model 1110 sickle mower conditioner (in rocky ground) with the JD and it's a fine combination.

Anyone running lower hp with a disc mower conditioner in heavy first cut hay? If so - and successful with it, how are you getting it done? Lower ground speeds, higher stubble cut - what?

Just curious.

Thanks!

/ Anyone Running a Discbine on Lower Hp Tractor w-Success? #2  
The 8 foot machines with flail conditioner could be pulled with 50-55 PTO HP years ago, so you aren't far off the mark anyways. 5MPH is what makes it work.

Rollers seem to take more power, seen 10' 6" roller machine run on 62 PTO HP.

Nice 5055D.