Anyone Seen A Loader Mounted Stump Grinder?

/ Anyone Seen A Loader Mounted Stump Grinder? #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
My welder friend is wanting to build a stump grinder and he is thinking about doing one to mount on the loader of like a John Deere.
Do you think a loader such as a 300E on a 3E series could handle an appropriately sized stump grinder?
Would the tractor have enough hydraulics to power it?

I am thinking designing one for the 3 point is a better idea but you never know.

/ Anyone Seen A Loader Mounted Stump Grinder? #2  
I think the loader is big enough but surely not by a lot.

Small std. flow grinders can be bought for 15-20gpm flow rates so you won't make 50% of whats needed for commercial units but depends of course size etc... your friend builds as you are considering custom.

You could add a rear pto driven hydro power pack is you want more flow.

/ Anyone Seen A Loader Mounted Stump Grinder? #4  
i would be worried about the side loads on the loader and if you spin the wheel front to back then it becomes a pain to sweep side to side.

/ Anyone Seen A Loader Mounted Stump Grinder? #5  
I think visibility to that area on a tractor is going to make mistakes more likely, and when you accidentally feed it in wrong and it kicks back through the whole loader i think there's a good chance of doing some damage.

I think 3pt + pto mount makes more sense in general, with the biggest low hanging fruit possibility for improvement probably just being its own seat or a swivel seat for the tractor. Ive never used a stump grinder, so these are my uninformed guesses as to the major points.

/ Anyone Seen A Loader Mounted Stump Grinder? #6  
I've seen them on skid steers before. Those have high flow systems.

As others have mentioned, they need a pretty good hydraulic flow, and most tractors don't have that, so a PTO hydraulic pump would be needed.

/ Anyone Seen A Loader Mounted Stump Grinder? #7  
A loader is a long lever and isn't designed for perpendicular loading. It's strength is built for pushing and pulling forward and back. Besides that, tractors lack the hydraulic flow and the native ports to easily attach such a device. Even a skid steer isn't nearly as effective without the hiflo hydraulic upgrade.

/ Anyone Seen A Loader Mounted Stump Grinder?
All of the comments pretty much confirm what I was thinking. I think if we're going to build a stump grinder a 3-point style is the way to go.
I appreciate the comments.

/ Anyone Seen A Loader Mounted Stump Grinder? #9  
I have a woodland mills 3pt stump grinder and If I was building one I would build the 3pt type but make it swing side to side. much easier to control than using the front and back motion of the tractor. L range at pto rpm is still too fast to grind a stump so control becomes an issue. a hydraulic cylinder is much easier to control speed with restrictors. forget about using a stump grinder with a gear tractor if using the motion of the tractor to sweep through the stump.