Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage?

/ Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage? #1  

Greenvalleymatt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1626, started with a 49 8n
Looking to prep future gardening plots with my new tractor and tiller, and my grandfather said if I keep tilling eventually I can be rid of the Bermuda. Anyone successfully done so? Tips and tricks? I know spraying would greatly help but I'm not keen on the idea of chemicals unless absolutely necessary.

/ Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage? #2  
Bermuda can have root systems 30" deep. And it is persistent. I understand you don't like spraying, but glyphosate will kill it, and (little known fact) it has no residual effect on other crops or vegitation. The farmers put it on and plant 2 days later.

You will be able to "control" it with tillage, but I doubt if you'll get rid of it. But ... you'll get some nice butt time on your tractor trying it !!

/ Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage?
Bermuda can have root systems 30" deep. And it is persistent. I understand you don't like spraying, but glyphosate will kill it, and (little known fact) it has no residual effect on other crops or vegitation. The farmers put it on and plant 2 days later.

You will be able to "control" it with tillage, but I doubt if you'll get rid of it. But ... you'll get some nice butt time on your tractor trying it !!
I purchased some roundup from Lowes to spray some areas that weren't going to be used for growing and it didn't seem to affect the grass other than turning it a shade of yellow for a week, but then bounced back. I mixed according to the directions. Is there a specific type or mixture you would recommend to kill it? In that case I was spraying an untilled area, it does seem likely to me that with it being a runner, if I only sprayed a small portion of the grass, with a strong root structure, that I may just have not been enough to get to the entire root system. I'm wondering if it's different tilling then spraying, as to break up the pieces of grass Into smaller more manageable pieces.

/ Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage? #4  
I fought Bermuda at my old house. Roundup would knock it out for a season but it would come back. I had luck digging down 24" to get all the roots out. It roots very deep, which may be part of why it's so tough and drought resistant.

I have a neighbor down the street who tilled it up with good luck. He had one very small patch that came back the next season. It spread very fast.

So yes, I think tilling works in general, as long as you can go deep enough to get all the roots. And be ready to jump on any stuff that comes back the next season.

/ Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage?
I fought Bermuda at my old house. Roundup would knock it out for a season but it would come back. I had luck digging down 24" to get all the roots out. It roots very deep, which may be part of why it's so tough and drought resistant.

I have a neighbor down the street who tilled it up with good luck. He had one very small patch that came back the next season. It spread very fast.

So yes, I think tilling works in general, as long as you can go deep enough to get all the roots. And be ready to jump on any stuff that comes back the next season.
I've had great luck on smaller scales tilling then hand picking out pieces of roots, then covering with weed fabric. But im not trying to spend all that time doing that for large areas. I'm hoping I can till every few weeks during the summer allowing the roots that end up on top enough time to dry out, then continue that process.

/ Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage? #6  
I just planted 250 lbs of common Bermuda. Now, after a year of record rainfall, we are in a drought with no rain in site.

Reminds me of an old saying.....if I bought a pumpkin patch they would outlaw halloween!

/ Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage? #7  
Just look up natural weed killers and you
will find almost all of them use salt, dish soap
vinegar etc. The soap will cut threw the oil on
the leaves etc and then the other items can work.

willy

/ Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage? #8  
I spray with roundup and then cover with 4 inches of mulch for walkways around my raised beds.

/ Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage? #9  
Mix round-up at max rate ----- 4oz per gallon. ---- For most weeds/grass 1 or 2 oz does the trick. You have to spray it a couple times to finally get it down, Takes time and work but you can get it.
After a week to ten days if it starts greening up---spray it again! --- trust me---it works!

/ Anyone successfully gotten rid of Bermuda through tillage? #10  

Just to try and help out here a little....

Farmers plant 2 days later using special hybrid seeds developed by Monsanto. And glyphosate will damage and sometimes kill anything that has exposed roots or foliage. And it does have a longer half life than many think.

I use it. I recommend it, in fact. Just be careful with and follow the directions religiously