Anyone used these bird deterrents?

/ Anyone used these bird deterrents? #1  

Alien

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
We have poultry that seem to delight in pooing on our porch. No matter how many times we chase them they come straight back.
I know you can buy sensor activated water sprinklers and expensive devices but I ordered a cheap one to see if it is going to work OK. It claims it works for birds etc. If it does work OK I will order another one. I have 3 little dogs that I don't want to scare or they might decide that inside the house is a safer place to do their business.
As we have high water pressure, the hoses may not stand being connected 24/7 to the tap for the sprinkler type device. The one I have ordered is dispatched in Australia, not China. I don't trust Chinese ebayers after dealing with some in the past.

/ Anyone used these bird deterrents? #2  
Are they perching in rafters? Where are they flying to and standing around in your porch area?

/ Anyone used these bird deterrents?
They just wander around looking for something to peck at. The trouble is that they wander through the carport to get there and it is covered in droppings as well. Night time they roost behind the barn and they decide early morning is the best time to start wandering and this poo event happens several times a day.

/ Anyone used these bird deterrents? #4  
We don't have that model, but I do recommend the infrared versions that aren't fooled by blowing leaves, moving branches, etc. We have tried reflective Mylar tape and my takeaway was that it takes a lot of it to dissuade our jays, which are pretty intelligent, though not in the same league with gallahs.

Have you tried to make some other area more attractive to the chickens? I.e. water a patch of grass, or closing curtains to reduce the number of dead insects on the porch, or...?

I am still looking for a durable bird netting to enclose our orchard. I am starting to think it will need to be galvanized chicken wire.

All the best, Peter

Thanks Peter. The problem started when we removed a lot of bamboo shelter, however there is still plenty of shelter / grass area for them behind the house. Several acres in fact. It seems they just want to be where we are. I can mount this device where there will be no false alarms from leaves etc. We tried netting a few years ago but they flew up over it. Anyway, it will be here this coming week so I will keep posted on the outcome.

/ Anyone used these bird deterrents? #6  
I saw something made for chickens, plywood ends and chicken wire. Bad drawing but you get idea. It had a door one end, handles both ends, easy two people to pick up and move around yard.
20210319_183151.jpg

We have a pen for them but my wife doesn't like them being locked up and the pen needs constant cleaning too. Being able to move it around like that would solve some of the problems. (So would selling them) I think the repeller is the way to go for us if it works. It allows them to roam yet keeps them away from our living area. It may also keep possums away that frequent occasionally.

/ Anyone used these bird deterrents? #8  
I purchased one of the motion sensor water sprinklers to discourage resident geese. it seemed to work sorta OK but I was shy about leaving a charged hose connected all the time. It certainly got me a few times. :p

Lol JethroB. I saw those and had the same thought. I didn't want to be getting up at midnight to turn off taps after the hose fittings let go. I saw one on youtube used as a thief deterrent. It worked very well.

/ Anyone used these bird deterrents? #10  
I saw something made for chickens, plywood ends and chicken wire. Bad drawing but you get idea. It had a door one end, handles both ends, easy two people to pick up and move around yard.View attachment 690863
I've seen something similar, one side had wheels, the other bars to pick up one side, and move everyday.