Anyone using a Snow Bucket / High Volume Bucket?

/ Anyone using a Snow Bucket / High Volume Bucket? #11  
A bucket with no edge tamers is going to get gravel everywhere. Plus, a bucket gets packed with snow sometimes. The back drag option on snow pushers do not box in the entire top. They just have a cross bar with a rubber edge many times and add wear shoes. I bet a person could add 2 angle iron pieces with a 2x6 plank to use on the farm if they already had a pusher.

/ Anyone using a Snow Bucket / High Volume Bucket? #12  
If I went snow bucket, does anyone have any thoughts as to size of snow bucket for my model? Was thinking of 96" or 84"? Not sure how big is "too big" though.
The bucket I made for my GC2610 is 72" wide. If the snow is of the variety that makes good snowballs I can have difficulty pushing more than about 100'. The tractor will begin to power out and stop moving. I will then have to pick it up and dump before continuing. On occasion it will push snow more than 10' ahead of the bucket before spilling out the sides. The biggest difference is that the windrows are farther and fewer between. For my tractor, any wider would be too big.

/ Anyone using a Snow Bucket / High Volume Bucket?
I wouldn't go more than about 20" or so wider than the tractor for the heavy roof drop snow. I have a 8'6" but it's on a 5 ton SS with 110hp. My routine is first "shaving" off what I can, usually with my tractor that has a 9'6" Fisher V blade, then back drag/dig out the rest just far enough away from the building to be able to either use the V plow or the rear pusher (or both, no turning around the tractor)
to carry it off. Sometimes I don't feel like switching bucket/pusher on the SS.

Nice set up!!

I have been thinking a 96" snow bucket might be to big? I seen a picture of one on a 4x4 pallet and it looks gigantic in comparison to the pallet. But to fall in line with what you mentioned about the width of the tractor, I just looked it up and I believe it is 65" wide but with AG tires and we ordered with the R14's so im pretty sure it will be wider than that...its still not here so I cant measure it myself. But I can say for sure it does come with a 72" bucket.
What sucks is there is 2 different 96" bulk buckets for sale by me at not bad prices. But it seems like a 84" bucket might be more fitting. I'm wondering if that means a 8' pusher would be a bit big also. Ugh, this stuff is tough to figure out.

A bucket with no edge tamers is going to get gravel everywhere. Plus, a bucket gets packed with snow sometimes. The back drag option on snow pushers do not box in the entire top. They just have a cross bar with a rubber edge many times and add wear shoes. I bet a person could add 2 angle iron pieces with a 2x6 plank to use on the farm if they already had a pusher.
I've seen the HLA ones that do cover the entire top. I did like the idea of having more of the top covered vs just a bar going across the top, as some of the snow I need to back drag can be pretty tall. But having the top enclosed seems like it will limit you in other ways then.

That is a great idea on some L brackets and planks to make your own back drag

The bucket I made for my GC2610 is 72" wide. If the snow is of the variety that makes good snowballs I can have difficulty pushing more than about 100'. The tractor will begin to power out and stop moving. I will then have to pick it up and dump before continuing. On occasion it will push snow more than 10' ahead of the bucket before spilling out the sides. The biggest difference is that the windrows are farther and fewer between. For my tractor, any wider would be too big.

Wow, that seems pretty good to me. I'd be pretty happy with those results.

/ Anyone using a Snow Bucket / High Volume Bucket? #16  
You will be emptying that bucket all the time. The time wasted just transporting the snow to a dump spot will be high. Get a front plow that you can angle.

My bucket is huge, and I fill it up in about 6 feet of pushing snow that is 2ft deep. Sure I can push it farther, but if the idea is to decide where it is going, a bucket is about the worst tool you can use. A front angle blade/plow is much better. It sounds like you also have some tight spots to get into….and a bucket is bad news for this.

There is a reason you dont see snow removal folks using buckets on their machin…

Also if you do decide to make your own, do not make one that is wider or larger than the size matched light material bucket would be for the tractor. There is a reason a light material bucket is the size it is…..

Last edited:
   / Anyone using a Snow Bucket / High Volume Bucket? #17  
I wouldn't go more than about 20" or so wider than the tractor for the heavy roof drop snow. I have a 8'6" but it's on a 5 ton SS with 110hp. My routine is first "shaving" off what I can, usually with my tractor that has a 9'6" Fisher V blade, then back drag/dig out the rest just far enough away from the building to be able to either use the V plow or the rear pusher (or both, no turning around the tractor)
to carry it off. Sometimes I don't feel like switching bucket/pusher on the SS.View attachment 718850View attachment 718851

Wouldn’t the skid steer do better with the chains on the back since most of the weight rides there? A Gehl 7800 is a beast. The average person don’t realize how much muscle sits in that small package.

/ Anyone using a Snow Bucket / High Volume Bucket? #18  
What can I say, I'm lazy 😆
I have a set for each axle if it gets icy, but for stacking - you know how the weight transfers to the front with lifting. 👍

/ Anyone using a Snow Bucket / High Volume Bucket? #19  
Nice set up!!

I have been thinking a 96" snow bucket might be to big? I seen a picture of one on a 4x4 pallet and it looks gigantic in comparison to the pallet. But to fall in line with what you mentioned about the width of the tractor, I just looked it up and I believe it is 65" wide but with AG tires and we ordered with the R14's so im pretty sure it will be wider than that...its still not here so I cant measure it myself. But I can say for sure it does come with a 72" bucket.
What sucks is there is 2 different 96" bulk buckets for sale by me at not bad prices. But it seems like a 84" bucket might be more fitting. I'm wondering if that means a 8' pusher would be a bit big also. Ugh, this stuff is tough to figure out.

Yes it will be wider with R14 tires.
Rustyiron’s setup has lots more weight, and lots more lifting power than your tractor will have. You dont want to compare what they use with what you can.

As I said just get a light material bucket from the mfg, that will ensure you arent going beyond capacities. Sure fluffy cold stuff wont matter, but you have to get the bucket that is safe in the heavy wet stuff.

/ Anyone using a Snow Bucket / High Volume Bucket? #20  
I hear ya, thought about that also. I'm mostly on all gravel. Thought about edge tamers but then there goes some of the back dragging.

Yep working on more ballast too. Looking into a box blade soon (we need one anyways) or a ballast box, tires will be filled but seems like that may not always be enough?

Sounds like a bucket and also pusher would be ideal.
When lifting anything on a loader you always need 3pt ballast. As a rule of thumb the 3pt ballast should be equal or more than your loader capacity.

3pt ballast unloads the weak expensive front axle & increases stability. Front axles pivot so all stability comes from the rear axle. Wheel weights or loaded tires do add to traction & stability but do nothing for unloading the front axle.

Personally I gave up on my ballast box after building it. Used it once or twice & now it sits in the weeds. I just throw my most convenient impliment on of one isn't on already. The compact size of the ballast box doesn't compare to the fact I might actually be able to use the impliment for something other than being heavy as well.