Oil & Fuel Anyone winterize a diesel?

/ Anyone winterize a diesel? #1  

ccsial

Veteran Member
Tractor
(Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1900 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new
A friend asked if he should fog his diesel tractor for the winter like we do the boat engines by spraying fogging oil in the air intake. I guess this would be OK but I have never done it since I use my tractors all year.

Any comments?

/ Anyone winterize a diesel? #2  
I winterize my tractor and truck by plugging them in so they will start.:)

/ Anyone winterize a diesel?
Egon said:
I winterize my tractor and truck by plugging them in so they will start.:)

I do the same with my diesel truck and all 3 tractors, but my friend does not plan to even start the tractor from Novemeber to May. He uses it for mowing and plows snow with his truck. This is his first year with a diesel tractor.

/ Anyone winterize a diesel? #5  
I winterize mine by mowing in december. :)

What's the wattage on the heaters. I think the trucks are 1200-1500watts or so. Picture 2-3 of your wives hair dryers running in the garage all night.

/ Anyone winterize a diesel? #6  
ccsial said:
A friend asked if he should fog his diesel tractor for the winter like we do the boat engines by spraying fogging oil in the air intake. I guess this would be OK but I have never done it since I use my tractors all year.

Any comments?

Take the battery(ies) out, and let it sit.

/ Anyone winterize a diesel? #7  
For winter storage as stated take the batteries out and cover the exhaust.

Block heaters do not have to run all night. Timers are available. Many are in the 600 watt range such as in my truck. The tractor is about 300 watts. Block heaters can be purchased in many different wattage ranges.:D

Put a 750 watt heater in each bank of a V8 and you can melt snow off the hood and make a puddle under the truck.

/ Anyone winterize a diesel? #8  
Some have mentioned on here about blocking the clutch pedal down. I know this doesnt apply to the engine but just FYI so the clutch doesnt stick or rust or whatever it is that it does.

/ Anyone winterize a diesel? #9  
Might want to consider some antifungal additive for the fuel tank -- or drain it. If there is the chance that the tractor might be used in the winter --- anti-jelling fuel additive for any summer blend fuel that might be in the tank,too.

/ Anyone winterize a diesel? #10  
I winterize my 4600 by keeping it parked in the pole barn, the heaters (hydraulic and block) ready for plug-in, and a can of SeaFoam poured into the gas tank to keep the fuel fresh. This seems to work really well here in MN.... ;)

-Bob