3-Point Hitch Anyone with experience with a 3pt co-op???

/ Anyone with experience with a 3pt co-op??? #1  

drueke

Tractor
Kubota BX2370, 1973 John Deere 820
Hi,

I would expect there are many sub-compact (and other) tractor owners with a 3 pt hitch fairly close to where I live (like about a mile or 3). My Kubota has a cat 1 3pt hitch and I'm thinking about attachments that I'd like to use rather infrequently such as a 1 bottom plow, disc harrow, auger (post hole digger) etc.

I could buy or rent these but I was thinking of a co-op where members could buy one attachment and share it with other co-op members.

The immediate concern is maintenance costs and liability insurance but I'm sure there are other concerns as well.

Has anyone tried this concept in the past and what was your experience?

Thanks,
Ray.

/ Anyone with experience with a 3pt co-op??? #2  
Can't imagine it working.

The co-op would also need a trailer, and someway to lift the implement on and off. This stuff is heavy.

But, willing attitudes can accomplish many things that I would have difficulty with.

/ Anyone with experience with a 3pt co-op??? #5  
Interesting proposition!

Geeze I have compact single bottom plow I haven't used in years. That you probably really couldn't hurt. Another great tool to pass around would be small plastic mulch layer 2 -3 ft. for small farming use. Stoney soil can be pretty abusive to it though and rototillers or post hole diggers can take some serious wear doing use too under the same conditions...

What would be the logical way to address damage whether through either negligence or just simple wear?

/ Anyone with experience with a 3pt co-op??? #6  
I would think people would trash the stuff doing things they wouldn't do with their own.

Yep! Any thread on loaning out tools or equipment has post after post of instances where the loner was used and abused and that's to people they know and trust! Imagine what it would be if it wasn't a deal between just two people.

/ Anyone with experience with a 3pt co-op??? #7  
My family used the loan out system for years until I opted out. The system worked like this. I worked my butt off to buy a nice truck, two trailers, two tractors and around 12 super farm implements. My two brothers borrowed them, bent them, broke them, abused them and returned them in horrible shape and of course never offered to repair or pay for the use. It was a great system for them until I decided they were too old to babysit anymore. :)

/ Anyone with experience with a 3pt co-op??? #8  
Sure. There are thousands of ag co-ops that share equipment among members. Of course, these co-ops are vital parts of their members' business models. And they generally have invested significant capital in the tools and facilities to maintain and repair the co-op's equipment.

Don't think co-ops are a good idea for SCUT/CUT owners who are just maintaining their property and maybe doing a little hobby farming/ranching with their tractors and implement. Sharing implements is a good way to end a friendship.

/ Anyone with experience with a 3pt co-op??? #9  
I ain't renting my stuff out! But i'll rent yours, what do you have?

/ Anyone with experience with a 3pt co-op??? #10  
You can borrow my equipment as long as I'm in the driver's seat.....