Apolgies.. I have Read the forum, but need HELP

/ Apolgies.. I have Read the forum, but need HELP #1  

Jim57

Veteran Member
Tractor
Shibaura SD2200 4X4
I read the forum here and found the answer to the following question.

<font color="red">

I have 11.2 X 24 rear tires 600 X 16 front tires and I was told that I should put water and antifreeze in the tires. If I put water and antifreeze in the tires... What Air Pressure should I put in the tires after installing the water? Front? Back?

</font>
<font color="black"> I realize now that the tires should be normal pressure as if no water and antifreeze in them.... But what is the correct air pressure? Front? Back? Thank you for your most valuable time. </font>

Sincerely,
Jim Bonham
864-647-9810
bsm357@aol.com

/ Apolgies.. I have Read the forum, but need HELP #2  
Jim,

The recommended PSI should be written on the side of the tire.

Do you have a low pressure gauge (like 0-20 psi) as opposed to a regular one that may go up to 50 or 100 psi? The low pressure are more accurate for these types of tires.

I'm looking for a 2nd opinion on this but I got a gauge that is meant to withstand the corrosive properties of my calcuim filled tires. Would a regular tire gauge do OK with Jim's mix?

Brian

/ Apolgies.. I have Read the forum, but need HELP #3  
Welcome to Tractorbynet, Jim, but let me make a suggestion. You posted your original question, and got a couple of responses. And now you posted this message by starting a completely new thread, although it's closely related to, even refers to, the other message. Next time try clicking on the "Reply" button in your original message and then enter the new message; i.e., "reply" to yourself (or even one of the other messages in that same thread) and that way it will all be kept together, make it easier for others to understand and make all the responses easier for you to find.

Try it; I think you'll like it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As to your question about air pressure - it would be the same as if you had no liquid in the tires. Only fill the tires 75% to 80% with liquid, then add air, and check air pressure with the valve stem at the top; i.e., 12 o'clock position. One popular way to determine just what the air pressure should be is to adjust it so that the tread all the way across the tire is touching the ground, giving you a full "foot print". You can probably do that simply by looking at them sitting on a hard dry surface, but another way is to drive through water onto a hard dry surface and see if it makes a full tire print.

And did you know that you should use an air/liquid tire gauge? Liquid in regular tire gauges may ruin them, and the ones made for both liquid and air cost little, if any, more than the regular ones.

/ Apolgies.. I have Read the forum, but need HELP
Thank you for the info on where to post. I started to do this but I wasn't sure. And Yes... I did purchase a wet pressure gauge. So far I haven't found the air pressure on the side of the tires but I will do what you suggested about the foot print. Thank you very much. I have operated tractors and heavy equipment most of my 48 years. I just have never had the opportunity to own my own tractor until now. It is one of my Dreams come true. I am clearing about 2 acres to farm next year. I look forward to enjoying the harvest and possibly even selling some of my harvest. Who knows... I might even grow something that goes into a record book. LOL... I can dream can't I? LOL Thanks Again.

Jim

/ Apolgies.. I have Read the forum, but need HELP #5  
Jim, there may or may not be a pressure listed on the side of the tire. Now I've been in the automobile tire business, and I've repaired flats on tractor tires, but never got much into the technical aspects of tractor tires, so . . . I'll tell you what I think. If someone knows better, they can correct me. On car tires, there's a "max pressure of xx" for a weight capacity of xx pounds shown on the side of the tire. IF you load the car (or pickup) with more weight, it is permissible to go 10% above the pressure listed on the side of the tire. And unless something has changed in the last 14 years or so, B.F. Goodrich specifically recommended to not go below 80% of the pressure listed on the sidewall. In contrast to that, on tractor tires, R1 or Ag tires at least, there may or may not be a pressure listed. If one is listed, it isn't necessarily the recommended operating pressure, but is more likely the maximum recommended pressure to seat the bead when the tire is installed on a wheel. You then lower the pressure to your operating pressure. I've almost no experience with R4 tires, but with R1, I and my farmer neighbors usually ran our rear tires at approx. 12 psi all the time. On my B2710 Kubota, I ran 16 psi in the front tires for mowing, tilling, etc. and increased to the rated maximum of 24 psi in the front if I was going to be lifting loads in the front end loader.

/ Apolgies.. I have Read the forum, but need HELP #6  
The tires on my tractor do NOT list a tire pressure. Recomended tire pressures are in a table in the owners manual for the different types of tires available from the manufacturer. Something that suprised me was front tire pressure varied greatly, depending on your use of the tractor. For field work front tire pressure was rather low at ~15 psi. For loader work front tire pressures were listed at ~35 psi.

/ Apolgies.. I have Read the forum, but need HELP
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I read the forum here and found the answer to the following question.

<font color="red">

I have 11.2 X 24 rear tires 600 X 16 front tires and I was told that I should put water and antifreeze in the tires. If I put water and antifreeze in the tires... What Air Pressure should I put in the tires after installing the water? Front? Back?

</font>
<font color="black"> I realize now that the tires should be normal pressure as if no water and antifreeze in them.... But what is the correct air pressure? Front? Back? Thank you for your most valuable time. </font>

Sincerely,
Jim Bonham
864-647-9810
bsm357@aol.com
)</font>

OOPS! the Front are 600 X 14

/ Apolgies.. I have Read the forum, but need HELP #8  
The inflation info is in the manual for my Kubota. I do like Bird mentioned though, as my R4's are heavier rated than the R1's or turfs that mine is specced for(mine is an '85 B8200, before R4's were put on CUT's).

My rear R4 says max pressure at 2000lb weight capacity is 20psi. My tractor only weighs about 2200lbs. When I have 20psi in the, they look like ballons. I run about 10psi.

When I got them, I put the tractor on the concrete drive. I set the air pressure, and then sprayed some water right in front of the tire, and then drove forward. I lowered the air pressure till I could see the full width of the tread. Too much air, and it rode on the center of the tire, and rode real bouncy.

Had to do that with my old Jeep too. It only wieghed about 2500lbs(Early CJ5). Most tires, like the 33x12.50's I ran, had a max inflation of 32psi. But, that was for like 2500lbs per tire. If I put 32psi in it, it bounced all over the highway, and was a real handful to keep straight. Doing the wet patch method, I found a pressure of 20 to 22psi was perfect on the street.