Apparently there's small weasels here, interesting...

/ Apparently there's small weasels here, interesting... #1  

rangerfredbob

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L260
Saturday I mowed the swamp area to get the reed canary grass down for the year (I need something that can mow in water...) and Sunday morning walking around the shop I found something the cat drug in, a little brown and white weasel. I looked it up and apparently it's an Ermine or sometimes called a Stoat... this one was pretty small so must have been juvenile, body was ~5" where adults are 7-10".

I'd seen what looked like a long mouse a few years ago when mowing that area, now I've seen closer and figured out what it was... looking into it I'm a fan of what they do so hopefully the cat leaves them alone... I don't have chickens or anything they prey on so they are free to kill and eat all the voles, moles, gophers, mice and field mice they can catch!

/ Apparently there's small weasels here, interesting... #2  
Gotta be better than ground hogs which, for some reason we are over run with this year. Very destructive but my 17 HMR Savage always gets them Bet I've dispatched at least 20 so far this year.

/ Apparently there's small weasels here, interesting... #3  
I had mice find a way in last winter, and they were rather elusive. One day I came home and the dog immediately started going ape$**+... "That ain't from a mouse!"
A weasel had moved in and he cleaned out the mice in no time. Then his girlfriend moved in and they decided to set up housekeeping.
I managed to get one of them out, and the other found it's own way. Then I sealed the hole in the floor where the waterline comes in.
A couple of days later I went up to the henhouse and one of my hens wasn't looking well. I picked her up and her entrails were dragging on the ground... he had gone in through the bird's bung hole and eaten his fill.
Luckily he never came back for more, which is unusual.

/ Apparently there's small weasels here, interesting... #4  
Couple years ago weasel located 3 wild turkey nest,3 turkey hens had no brew. :oops:

/ Apparently there's small weasels here, interesting... #5  
I've been out here 40+ years. I've seen a little weasel a couple times. White belly - brown back - black tipped tail. 3X the length of a mouse and a little bigger in diameter.

/ Apparently there's small weasels here, interesting...
Oosik, that's the same little guys, they have a huge territory in the north including Oregon and Washington apparently mainly west of the Cascades... I've been in this property for 9 years now and I've seen two...

Anymore I leave most things alone with a few exceptions (no need for incrimination), a couple weeks a "big brown mouse" (black tail doe... I called her Steve and waved several times :)) circled the shop for like 3 hours, I've seen a coyote a few times lately, the cat knows where danger lives and is alert at all times so he's fine, I can use all the help I can get with the voles...

/ Apparently there's small weasels here, interesting... #7  
I've been out here 40+ years. I've seen a little weasel a couple times. White belly - brown back - black tipped tail. 3X the length of a mouse and a little bigger in diameter.
In winter they turn white... and are known as ermine. I've seen many in my life and killed several. They can be mean and will kill a rabbit or full grown chicken.
One afternoon I was at the stove cooking supper and had left my door open, as I have a bad habit of doing. Two weasels strolled in like they owned the place. I had a partially empty beer in my hand and managed to numb one enough to stop it. The sounds it emitted were pathetic, I will never do that again.

I threw that can at him and never spilled a drop.

/ Apparently there's small weasels here, interesting... #8  
This morning - a lake otter out rolling in the dry dirt. He's just a BIG weasel. As Brownie and I stepped out on the porch - he is over the edge, down the cliff and into the little lake. He probably won't be here long. I don't think there are any more bass in the little lake. I would guess there is another - somewhere. They usually travel in pairs.

/ Apparently there's small weasels here, interesting... #9  
I have hunting property in Hardy County WV. My parents bought it in 1970 or 71. Last fall, for the first time, my buddy was hunting one of my stands and saw a Fisher, or Fisher Cat. It's a big weasel family animal, 17 pound average, but possible of 40 pounds, with the temper of a wolverine. Two years ago while working on my cabin we had about 20 turkey come out on my rifle range plucking up bugs after I mowed. Haven't seen a single turkey since. The Turkey's can come and go, but we always see some. The Fishers are know to like Turkey. They are on the endangered list, but WV still lets trappers take 1 per year.