Are diesel conditioners needed for new

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #11  
Present day Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) has 3 common problems
1. Low lubricity
2. Gelling at low temps
3. Absorbs moisture from the air

Lubricity was lost when the sulfur content was reduced, some fuel pumps are more sensitive than others. The Bosch on VW's tended to scar and self destruct. If your pump needs more lubrication, use an additive.
Gelling is the nature of diesel at low temp. Easy solution is to not use when its cold out :) Easily done in Mississippi, not as easy in Vermont. Common additive was an addition of kerosene, basically a "lighter weight" diesel.
Absorbing moisture from the air can cause microbial contamination (algae). This can be minimized by keeping your tanks full, no room for "wet air". Addition of a biocide is also a remedy.
A decent additive will attack all 3 problems.

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #12  
Present day Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) has 3 common problems
1. Low lubricity
2. Gelling at low temps
3. Absorbs moisture from the air

Lubricity was lost when the sulfur content was reduced, some fuel pumps are more sensitive than others. The Bosch on VW's tended to scar and self destruct. If your pump needs more lubrication, use an additive.
Gelling is the nature of diesel at low temp. Easy solution is to not use when its cold out :) Easily done in Mississippi, not as easy in Vermont. Common additive was an addition of kerosene, basically a "lighter weight" diesel.
Absorbing moisture from the air can cause microbial contamination (algae). This can be minimized by keeping your tanks full, no room for "wet air". Addition of a biocide is also a remedy.
A decent additive will attack all 3 problems.
Good post reply newbury. I would like to add that raising cetane cant hurt either. One thing to be careful with is emulsifiers they work well and sometimes too well not allowing your water seperators to actually do their job. I use FPPF but that is like Coke or Pepsi. The previous poster said just about all that needs to be said. Rock on

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Are diesel conditioners needed for new #13  
The only thing that I would recomend is when the weather starts
to get cold you will need an aditive to keep the diesel from jelling.

willy

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #14  
I've used Amsoil's, diesel all in one, in my tractor, rtv, and truck since new. They claim outstanding detergency, improved lubricity, better cold flow, and higher octane.

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #16  
They do, for the price of a second mortgage:
1693380581194.png

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #18  
I use all of the products offered by PowerService. I even have a bottle of 911 sitting on a self that I hope I will never need. Like someone else said, what brand you use is like asking coke or pepsi. I have no idea if I really need them or not. On the other hand, I don't want to find out. After reading about fuel nightmares on this forum it just give me a little peace of mind. It's like anything else preventive, you don't know if you need it until you find out that you needed it and by then it's too late.

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #19  
You don’t need it. Modern engines don’t need an additive. The big question is how fast are you burning you fuel. If you are using it up in 3 or 4 months, you’re probably ok. If it sits longer you might add a biocide just in case, it keeps growth from happening. I also agree with something that helps with gelling if it gets cold where you live.

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #20  
Huh? You don’t need it, but…..oh, and if…..
Just on the topic of cetane it’s lucky to find any diesel over 44. Diesel engines like cetane to be around 55.
From the net….
The scale for measuring cetane ranges from 0 to 100, and the higher the number, the better. Modern highway diesel engines tend to require fuel with a cetane number ranging from 45 to 55. Typically, regular no. 2 diesel has a cetane number of 40 to 42, while Cenex Premium Diesel has a cetane number of 47 to 52.