Are Harbor Freight Chains any good?

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #1  

BruceWard

Platinum Member
I was thinking about buying a few of these

5/16" x 20 Ft. Grade 70 Trucker's Chain $29.99
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
40461.gif

I would rather buy from Tractor Supply but their chain is twice as expensive.

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #2  
I once broke one of the grade 43 - 3/8" HF chains setting my neighbor's Ford tractor upright after it overturned. Don't know if I overloaded it or not -- maybe I did. We were all kind of excited at the time, and did some things we should have been smarter about.

Other than that, I have had many HF chains, and had no problems with the 5/16" grade 70 ones. In fact, I have pretty much standardized on those as the chain I get for almost every need.

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good?
Lowes wins since it is 50 miles closer than HF.

Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a good binder?

Someone stole the four 2.5" ratchet straps I was using with my B21 so I am going to upgrade to chains.

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #5  
I recently bought the Lowes chains and got the binders at TSC. Looked all around for binders but didn't want the big bulky 5/16/3/8 ones. Found the 5/16 only orange colored ones at TSC with a price as good or better than any where else.
I still use 4" ratchet straps on the Deere though as I custom cut them to length for that application and I feel they are plenty strong and easier to use. Those ratchets are powerfull enough to suck down the 16.9-30's on the Deere. Those 4" ratchet straps were cheap compared to chain and binders. Think I paid 25.00 ea. for them. They look and feel of quality too.

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #6  
I have a few of the Harbor Freight chains use them all the time never had any issues.

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #8  
I was thinking about buying a few of these

5/16" x 20 Ft. Grade 70 Trucker's Chain $29.99

I would rather buy from Tractor Supply but their chain is twice as expensive.

I use the HF grade 43, 3/8 x 14 Ft. Truckers Chain. They put it on sale very often for around $16 or $17 (I believe it on sale in the store right now) It has a rated capacity of 5,400 lbs, a little more capacity than the 5/16" chain. I think I have 3 of them giving me a 42 foot capacity for about $50.

I wrap them around my front weight bracket when they are not being used. I have not yet been able to break one, I think I need a bigger tractor.

Attachments

• chain.gif
    chain.gif
    39.6 KB · Views: 728
   / Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #9  
Al my chains are HF, haven't broken one yet, if you watch for a sale then also apply the 15-20% off coupons they email me every week you can't even come close to that price anywhere else.

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #10  
If they are rated as schedule 70 chains then they have to meet the requirements of schedule 70. Many people make the mistake of using schedule 43 tiedown chains for other uses. They don't shock load well.