Are my grape vines toast?

/ Are my grape vines toast? #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
We had a frost that was more of a freeze on Tuesday. My grape vines where starting to throw out leaves and now they are all shrivled up. I have the hardy woden and ontario varities from millers nurseries. Will they bounce back or are they gonners?

thanks
Forgeblast

/ Are my grape vines toast? #2  
Good Mornin forgeblast,
I put in three grape vines a few years ago, Im now down to one vine ! :( I have gotten some grapes off of them, but two of mine died over the course of the winter. I would think that the variety that you have will come back, although not much may happen until next year. To be safe you might plant a few more now that the warm weather is here to stay ! :)

/ Are my grape vines toast? #3  
I am in the exact same situation with my one surviving grape plant... the freeze was a little over a week ago and does not appear to be doing anything.:( I already have cuttings getting rooted to replace the others that died previously but I was really hoping this one would make it.

/ Are my grape vines toast? #4  
I've had it happen a number of times and the vines always came back. In some cases on younger plants they sent up a shoot from the roots and started a new vine, so don't give up on them just yet.

/ Are my grape vines toast?
thanks all, I will do a wait and see. They are supposed to be hardy, i hope that they make it.

/ Are my grape vines toast? #6  
We had a frost that was more of a freeze on Tuesday. My grape vines where starting to throw out leaves and now they are all shrivled up. I have the hardy woden and ontario varities from millers nurseries. Will they bounce back or are they gonners?

thanks
Forgeblast

Most likely you will not get any fruit on them this year. With some luck, you will see some new leaves in a few weeks. If they are hardy, they should bounce back. This has happened to me all but one year in the last 6-or 7. Only had grapes one season due to frost. This year I got lucky and we only had one frost after bud out. I was able to cover the vines with some cloth sheets.

/ Are my grape vines toast? #7  
While I can't speak for your grapes, there was a report on our local news last week that the grape growers here along Lake Erie suffered some pretty serious frost damage last week. The county extension agent mentioned the extent of the damage won't truly be known for about 1 month.

I know it burned a fern we have in a hanging basket pretty good!

/ Are my grape vines toast?
Most of the japanese knot weed (the bamboo looking invasive species) was decimated. the leaves are hanging and drooping. I am going to give them another spray of roundup just to help them along. It was such a late and hard frost/freeze that it caught a lot off guard. I mean our last frost day is may 31'st for our last frost day most go by memorial day and this frost came less then a week before. I think it will be ok to put my tomatoes out this weekend.

/ Are my grape vines toast? #9  

thanks
Forgeblast

Last year in early May my grape vines had leaves on them..and then we had a frost. All the leaves died out, but new ones came back...but i didn't get any grapes.

The ones that you have are real hardy....and should be alright.

You can start new vines by taking some cuttings, and put them in a 2-liter bottle with water...and then they will start roots.

/ Are my grape vines toast? #10  
I just noticed yesterday that my grape is pushing new growth from under the ground. Looks like it was a close one but it should pull through. :cool: