Are special tools needed to replace a clutch on a compact tractor?

/ Are special tools needed to replace a clutch on a compact tractor? #1  

cedar21

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 30
The clutch on my New Holland TC 30 seems to have gone out, and I am thinking of trying to do the work of replacing it myself. Are there special tools needed to replace the clutch?

I realize that replacing the clutch involves splitting the tractor. This is something I have not done before, but the shop here gave me an estimate of $2,200.00 in labor to replace the clutch, and I am considering tackling it myself.

Thanks in advance.

/ Are special tools needed to replace a clutch on a compact tractor? #2  
Just a good set of hand tools. Fairly easy job.

/ Are special tools needed to replace a clutch on a compact tractor? #3  
A wheeled floor jack helps a lot when splitting .. cribing the two tractor parts doesn't allow much movement.

/ Are special tools needed to replace a clutch on a compact tractor?

I have a good set of hand tools and a clean shop to work on it, and a floor jack like CalG mentioned. When I talked with the local New Holland Dealer about what it would cost for them to repair it, I was told that a puller was needed to remove the clutch. I have the repair manual, and it doesn't say anything about a puller being needed though.

/ Are special tools needed to replace a clutch on a compact tractor? #5  
I have done a few at work and one on my own tractor. It's not difficult. Really the hardest part is removing all the parts around the bell housing to get acess to all the bolts.

Use two wooden wedges between the front axle and frame so you prop up the front half streight while separating both halfs.

While your in there think of other parts you may want to replace. The hydraulics may be empty so a good time to check/replace the suction strainer. It's also a good time to inspect every tooth on the flywheel.

/ Are special tools needed to replace a clutch on a compact tractor? #6  
I am not familiar with your tractor. Does it have a wet or dry clutch? If a dry clutch, you will need a line up tool, but I have successfully "eye balled" the alignment.

/ Are special tools needed to replace a clutch on a compact tractor? #7  
I have a good set of hand tools and a clean shop to work on it, and a floor jack like CalG mentioned. When I talked with the local New Holland Dealer about what it would cost for them to repair it, I was told that a puller was needed to remove the clutch. I have the repair manual, and it doesn't say anything about a puller being needed though.
Did the dealer mean a puller was needed to remove the pilot bearing?

/ Are special tools needed to replace a clutch on a compact tractor? #8  
Depending on hours, you might also want to replace rear oil seal on the engine. Doesn't take much additional work. When reassembling the tractor halves, make yourself a couple of alignment dowels to help with reassembly. Also, set the parking brake before starting and roll the front end way from the rear end.

I am not familiar with your tractor. Does it have a wet or dry clutch? If a dry clutch, you will need a line up tool, but I have successfully "eye balled" the alignment.
It has a dry clutch.

I am attaching a scanned pages from the repair manual that gives instructions about removal and replacement of the clutch, replacement of the clutch release bearing, and troubleshooting and specifications. It says that an alignment arbor FNH 00077 tool is needed to align the clutch. The tool is available for around $25.00.

It seems fairly straightforward to replace the clutch, just that I have not split a tractor before.

Attachments

• TC 30 clutch removal and installation.pdf
    327.4 KB · Views: 41
  • TC 30 clutch release bearing remval and installation.pdf
    171.2 KB · Views: 33
  • TC 30 clutch troubleshooting and specifications.pdf
    240.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Depending on hours, you might also want to replace rear oil seal on the engine. Doesn't take much additional work. When reassembling the tractor halves, make yourself a couple of alignment dowels to help with reassembly. Also, set the parking brake before starting and roll the front end way from the rear end.
The tractor has 2,200 hours on it.
Thanks for the advice about making alignment dowels, and rolling the front end away.