Are there any good veterinarians anymore?

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #21  
At least here, licensed Vets have to be MD's (GP's) first. Just so happens that the guy I rent hay ground from is a vet and owns his own practice so we get excellent care for the animals at a reduce cost. In fact, he makes house calls.
Are you sure about the GP requirement. I checked both MSU veterinary school and Michigan licensing and neither have that requirement

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #22  
Here's some interesting tidbits...

There are currently 154 medical schools in the US, plus 30 osteopathic schools in the US.

There are 32 veterinary schools in the US.

There are about 985,000 physicians for 330 million people in the US.

There are about 124,000 veterinarians for 145 million dogs, cats, birds, horses as pets.

So there's about 1 doctor for every 300 people in the US, while there's about 1 veterinarian for every 1150 cats, dogs, birds and pet horses. That doesn't include ag animals like cattle, pigs, chickens, etc... commercial operations all need vet work.

There is currently a shortage of Veterinarians.

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #23  
   / Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #24  
And the money Veterinarians make is staggering.
After reading the first few pages, we all seem to have a similar story. Each small town had a very well trained, sensible vet that is probably now retired. We had one that was well known in MY area. He had a typical office, out by the main road, pretty much took care of anything. I remember taking a cat there with a broken leg in the 90’s and it was like $150 to set the leg. That would probably be $2,000 now.
He lived at the end of a long winding private lane. He passed away and his house became available for sale. I went to look at it, and no kiddin fellas, his house was like a 150 year old stone castle on like 25 acres. I asked his son some questions and he told me it was mainly a cash business and he amassed 10’s of millions over his 50+ year career.
I can see why/how they made a lot of money. I don’t know how lucrative it is today with everyone using credit cards and now the popularity of pet insurance.

We also have U-Penn New Bolton Center nearby and they do a ton of work in the area on large animals

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #25  
Sorry for your loss, the loss of a pet is tough. Texas has one of the best vet schools in Texas A&M, they do lots of research work. Most of the vets in our area come out of A&M. The problem is they only want to see dogs & cats. The large animal vets are retiring and the ones that are left don't want to make house calls. Our horse vet that makes house calls is the last in the area and he is in his 70s.

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #26  
Somewhere I heard or read that: The difference between a doctor and a vet is, a vet's patient can't describe the symptoms or pain.

Doug in SW IA

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #27  
Somewhere I heard or read that: The difference between a doctor and a vet is, a vet's patient can't describe the symptoms or pain.

Doug in SW IA
A medical doctor only has to treat 1 species. ;)

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore?
I saw this on here and I want to tell you it is absolutely true.
dog memories.jpg

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #30  
I met a good vet about 23 years ago... Someplace in Vermont but I don't even know what town I was in. I was working in New York and had to run to New Hampshire to pick up a check so that I could keep working. I put in a few hours in the AM, took a shower and headed out but my pup had developed an eye problem which had me worried. I got off the ferry in Grand Isle and when I stopped in the store for a bite to eat, I asked the clerk if she knew of a good vet. She gave me a name and since it was just off the interstate I decided to stop. It was just about lunchtime but they got me in quickly, even though I hadn't called ahead. She got her eye checked out and they gave her a brief checkup overall... I paid the bill and less than an hour after jumping off the interstate I was hammering back up onto it again. It's been decades yet I have never forgotten the care they gave my dog that day.

The next day I left her in the motel with a note on the door; "Caution, Friendly dog in the room." When I got back that night the staff told me what a great dog she was... They'd had a blast playing with her.