Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #11  
Perhaps. But if I couldn't get it off with a wrench with the blade in the vise, it probably would have bent a nail that size and caused a big problem.

This isn't a string trimmer head, but a brush cutter attachment for the string trimmer... looks like this:

311U1sRdPCL.jpg

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #12  
Another vote for the impact. Impacts are a necessary tool to own. I even used a small one to disassemble a vacuum cleaner fan. There is NO OTHER way to do it. The fan is lightweight aluminum and there is no way possible to prevent it from spinning except using an impact.

I have been taking blades off of finish mowers with an impact for decades. In my opinion it is the absolute best way.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower
Thanks everyone, the impact tool never crossed my mind and I got one for Christmas 2015 , so will try , but meanwhile I left a voice mail with Buhler's headoffice service line and we will see if they get back to me whether they are a reverse thread or regular thread bolt.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #14  
You can also use a mower blade removal tool. I got one at my local Tractor Supply, but they are available at amazon too (Amazon.com : Arnold Mower Blade Removal Tool). I use one of these to replace the blades on my JD Z930M which can be a bear to get off. I don't have an impact wrench... but I should! :confused2: The removal tool is pretty cheap, I've found it much easier than clamping wooden blocks, etc, and it works in both directions. It also works all around the edge of the deck (depending on your deck shape), and I've had not problems with it slipping while working with it.

That said... this may not be wide enough for a 5ft mower blade, but if it fits around your blade it might do the trick.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #15  
Thanks everyone, the impact tool never crossed my mind and I got one for Christmas 2015 , so will try , but meanwhile I left a voice mail with Buhler's headoffice service line and we will see if they get back to me whether they are a reverse thread or regular thread bolt.
If it's a right hand turn blade I think it will be RH thread bolts. You should be able to break the bolts loose even if you are tightening it. If it breaks loose but doesn't immediately spin out you're probably going the wrong way.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #16  
I used a box end wrench, and put the open end on the shaft. On the box (closed end) end of the wrench, I attached a 3ft section of small chain with large "S" hooks on it (both ends actually), and the other end I was able to find a good anchor spot on the frame. Then I just used my 2ft breaker bar and broked the nuts loose. That worked out well for me.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #17  
If it's a right hand turn blade I think it will be RH thread bolts. You should be able to break the bolts loose even if you are tightening it. If it breaks loose but doesn't immediately spin out you're probably going the wrong way.
[and have ruined the bolt]. Make sure you are going the right way.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #18  
on my 72" MMM I use the block of wood technique.. wedge block between edge of deck and blade and break it loose.. On mine (New Holland) enough of the spindle threads extend to tell if it was a right or left hand..

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower
Buhler replied back to me that it is a normal direction thread, so with that , (and all the help here) and my impact wrench, the next sharpening should be a breeze! .....thanks

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #20