Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now?

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #162  
Both were used. Yes, lots of variables affect the used market. I think the used market is much more of a buyers market right now. I see some good prices.
There are some deals buying older diesels for export out of California.

Utilities and municipalities we're dumping lots of non compliant equipment.

On a neighborhood scaled I picked up 2 free Echo straight shaft like new trimmers and a nice Honda powered self propelled mower all free.

Only reason they were available free is because they are gas powered...

The local mower shop breaks the law Everytime he fires up a 2-stroke while servicing...

Individuals pretty much get a pass but I can see authorities coming down hard on a business violator.

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now?
Oh wow, you definitely live in a different land than. Can't imagine that, though I fear it is coming. I actually prefer the electric weed eater, leaf blower and cordless tools in general.

I guess one day the tractor and the car will be ok with EV but it isn't this day.

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #164  
I’m curious why a standing mower? What is the advantage?
On rough ground, much easier on your body, easier to get on and off if you need to during a mow, also much more compact and maneuverable for a trailer or tight quarters lawns. I much prefer them.

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #165  
This may help
Bought 1999 Case-IH Magnum MX-270 with 5,000 hours for $41,000 in early 2021.
Sold it yesterday with 5650 hours for $46,900.

No major repairs made during ownership, just maintenance, new exhaust stack and a timing cover gasket.

So I used the tractor about 600 hours in 3 years and made + $5,900

1708779128502.jpeg

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now?
So a 14% return - finance rate (if you financed it) Plus what you actually made with it. Pretty good investment.

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #167  
So a 14% return - finance rate (if you financed it) Plus what you actually made with it. Pretty good investment.
Made probably $350,000+ of hay with it in last 3 years.

Of course there are several other pieces of equipment involved that cost money, too.

Plus I used it to pull an Artex spreader, which made me even more money.

1708782061741.jpeg

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #168  
I've never realized a loss with cars and trucks but always bought older used.

I guess I was flipping but doing it the right way by taking title...

Rust isn't a problem here and I like convertibles... buy one in the fall and sell it in the summer... any kind of convertible or pickup was a money maker...

Cash for clunkers really made it much harder as a lot of older cars turned in.

A new California bill wants to revive a cash for clunkers with a clunker being at least 20 years old.

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #169  
I've never realized a loss with cars and trucks but always bought older used.

I guess I was flipping but doing it the right way by taking title...

Rust isn't a problem here and I like convertibles... buy one in the fall and sell it in the summer... any kind of convertible or pickup was a money maker...

Cash for clunkers really made it much harder as a lot of older cars turned in.

A new California bill wants to revive a cash for clunkers with a clunker being at least 20 years old.
All of our cars and trucks are over 20 years old and the tractors nearly so. No plans to buy anything newer.
California's plan to mass-manufacture their way into an environmentally sound future doesn't makes sense to me.
rScotty

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #170  
All of our cars and trucks are over 20 years old and the tractors nearly so. No plans to buy anything newer.
California's plan to mass-manufacture their way into an environmentally sound future doesn't makes sense to me.
rScotty
Me too except there is a move to simply ban like is already the case for blowers and brush cutters and 25 hp and greater non tier compliant diesels