Ariens log splitter

/ Ariens log splitter #1  

SirReal63

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
It is time to buy a log splitter, I am considering the Ariens 917002. I am not married to this splitter and would be willing to look at any others people think are better. I think I would prefer a tow behind as opposed to a 3 point tractor driven one. My neighbor and I will share this splitter as we decided to avoid duplicating implements, he bought the chipper shredder and we are buying the splitter.

The budget is 2k or less but would rather spend up to the budget to get one that is durable and can handle our large Oak logs. If there is a comparable one that is less I will certainly take a hard took at it. We will not be getting into the wood cutting business but we need one we can depend on.

Last edited:
   / Ariens log splitter #2  
Re: Aries log splitter

I suggest you use the search tool, as there are many reviews on splitters here at TBN. For example, I wrote a series on the smallest Ariens, which works well for my needs but may not for yours.

/ Ariens log splitter #3  

There was a recent thread on log splitters that should provide you with a good bit of starter info. But I'll share my one observation regarding splitters -- they are mostly for stove wood, i.e. 24 inch logs. We burn 30 or even 36 inch logs in our fireplace and it is a costly upgrade to get one of that size. So my first point of advice is to make sure you are happy with the throw length.

/ Ariens log splitter

I have read close to 20 threads on the subject, including yours, which is partly why I am leaning towards the Ariens. There are also hundreds and hundreds of threads that offer very little information on purchasing. I understand no splitter is perfect for everyone, and there will be a hundred different opinions, that is ok, it is part of the process.

I am certain you know that even within a brand one model will outshine the other models. What we are hoping to avoid is buying one that people have problems with and what they replaced it with and if they are happy with that. I usually research things to death, but I trust the opinions of people here more than any other resource, and customer reviews on online sales sites are not trustworthy.

/ Ariens log splitter #5  
One always wants something better than you have......BUT..........I have a 7 or 8 year old 35 ton TSC splitter. In addition I have a 4 wedge splitter head and fall off shelf installed..........How is doing 36" Oak and Hickory with just a strong grunt out of the B&S governor. I change the oil regularly on the 12 horse engine; but still have the original hydro fluid in the splitter.........Probably 300 hours on the unit and at least 100 4X4X8' cords.

Yes, I could use a faster unit; but what I have is great for me. In all these years I have had to replace one hydro hose........THAT's IT. Get the machine YOU want. NOT what some know it all that doesn't even work with wood make the decision for you.........God bless.....Dennis

/ Ariens log splitter
There was a recent thread on log splitters that should provide you with a good bit of starter info. But I'll share my one observation regarding splitters -- they are mostly for stove wood, i.e. 24 inch logs. We burn 30 or even 36 inch logs in our fireplace and it is a costly upgrade to get one of that size. So my first point of advice is to make sure you are happy with the throw length.

We typically burn 24" or shorter pieces, the stove is a Jotul F118CB and can take long logs but the shorter ones are easier for loading.

One always wants something better than you have......BUT..........I have a 7 or 8 year old 35 ton TSC splitter. In addition I have a 4 wedge splitter head and fall off shelf installed..........How is doing 36" Oak and Hickory with just a strong grunt out of the B&S governor. I change the oil regularly on the 12 horse engine; but still have the original hydro fluid in the splitter.........Probably 300 hours on the unit and at least 100 4X4X8' cords.

Yes, I could use a faster unit; but what I have is great for me. In all these years I have had to replace one hydro hose........THAT's IT. Get the machine YOU want. NOT what some know it all that doesn't even work with wood make the decision for you.........God bless.....Dennis

Dennis, I appreciate the wisdom and your experiences. I am still heavily leaning towards the Ariens 34 ton unit. I know there are much nicer units out there and a whole lot of lesser ones as well. It should be a good compromise. I do have some serious Oak to cut and it is well seasoned as it is coming from several trees that have been dead for quite a few years.

My size 11 shoe for size reference.
IMG_20150221_103954_743_zpsbr5d8eaf.jpg

IMG_20150221_103739_681_zps3ggtddow.jpg

This is about 6-7' long.
IMG_20150221_103344_307_zpseo6ii0ts.jpg

One of several stands that have to come out.
IMG_20150221_103629_675_zpsek9k1yv6.jpg

I know a lesser splitter may be able to handle the task but I want one that is more durable that won't be too stressed.

/ Ariens log splitter #7  
Have you actually looked at the Ariens? I do think they have nicer features than most of the other brands, but the construction is very similar to the others. Almost makes me think Ariens simply outfits it to their specs, but the frame/etc may be common with other brands and come from the same factory (which is quite common nowadays -- there are only a couple big manufacturers of outdoor power equipment in the US left, and they crank out equipment for 6-7 brands).

The only splitters I have seen that are noticeably different and beefier are the ones sold at Tractor Supply under the County Line label, and the Northern Tool Northstar brand splitters (which are the beefiest I have laid eyes on). I like the Northstar rail design better, and they come with Honda engines which have given me good service in the past. They cost a couple hundred $$ more, but that's probably where I'd put my money, especially with a $50 Northern Tool coupon in my pocket.

/ Ariens log splitter
I looked at the County Line brand at our local TSC. It was on the list but I think the quality of all of the County Line stuff had gone downhill in the recent years. We have 2 Ariens service shops and a Dealer in our little town, which is another bonus. I can have the Ariens shipped right to the Dealer who will assemble and test it prior to my picking it up. It is a hard decision, we don't mind spending a little more if it means less chance of issues.

/ Ariens log splitter #9  
We have 2 Ariens service shops and a Dealer in our little town, which is another bonus. I can have the Ariens shipped right to the Dealer who will assemble and test it prior to my picking it up. It is a hard decision, we don't mind spending a little more if it means less chance of issues.

I would definitely recommend purchasing from an Ariens dealer over Home Depot. My HD Ariens arrived crated, empty of hydraulic oil, and missing parts. I spent most of the money I saved at HD on hydraulic oil, not to mention the time wasted trying to find a place where it could be purchased. Neither HD nor Ariens responded to my calls for help, though admittedly I was aware there was some chance that the oil wouldn't be provided and the missing nut was replaced with one from my parts drawer. A bigger concern is that both companies said they would do something and then ended up doing nothing, and I'm left with the feeling they just said what was needed to get me off the phone. My closest Ariens dealer is 75 miles away, so using him is possible but inconvenient should the need arise. The fact that he is available matters a lot to me because I can just imagine the cluster f*** that would arise should I attempt to have a splitter repaired at TSC or HD, let alone a mail order outfit like Northern Tool.

Many folks have praised the Subaru engine in the Ariens splitters, and so far mine has always started with only one or two pulls, even when I run it all the way out of fuel. Honda gets high marks as well. Briggs engines still grace the splitters at my local TSC, though I think I read somewhere that they are switching to Kohlers. I'm not real keen on either brand, but again lots of people have been happy with them.

Almost all the smaller oaks here had been cut two to five years before I bucked and split them, and popped apart after just a few inches of wedge travel. If your oak is anything like mine, that means you can short stroke the ram and save a lot of time waiting for it to come back down from fully retracted. The 34 and 27T Ariens move more slowly than my little 22T, but if you short stroke it the difference is probably pretty minimal.

The one or two oaks I had that came down in the last year were real bears to split, stringy and tough, making me use the wedge almost like a cleaver to cut across twisted grain that just wouldn't come apart any other way. Better to have the added capacity and not need it than the other way around.

I think my biggest round was about 18" across, and it took all I had to lift it up onto the rail. Only had two or three like that, but if I'd had more I would have tipped up the splitter and just rolled them onto the foot. I think the 34T Ariens will operate horizontally or vertically as well.

It sounds like you have the right idea buying heavy duty, reputable equipment to tackle those trees. All those checks and splits in the logs in your photos have me thinking you'll have no trouble getting them to split no matter which of the TBN "favorites" you end up with.

/ Ariens log splitter #10  
Jack,
Take a look at the Dirty Hand Tools splitters. Back at the first of the year, I was researching splitters myself. Checked at the local Lowes, and they had the 22 ton DHT splitter in stock. ($999) I bought it on the spot, and ordered the optional "log catcher." ($79) Haven't regretted it. DHT splitters have much faster cycle times than many others, and they're built like a tank. I haven't found anything yet that it won't split. In the past two months I've probably split about 3 cords with it, all oak. (red, white, and post oaks up to 3' diameter) (I use the FEL to pick up the big blocks and put them on the splitter :D )
The only issues that I've had were a couple of tiny hydraulic leaks. One was simply a loose fitting, the other fixed by removing the fitting and applying fresh thread tape.

One thing that might help you decide: Lowe's has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If you buy it and it just won't do the job, take it back.