Ariens Zero Turn at Home Depot

/ Ariens Zero Turn at Home Depot #1  

Chuck52

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L210
This isn't just about Ariens, so I put it here instead of in the dedicated forum.

My old crappy MTD rider has another broken pivot bar. This is the second one and my dear wife is so tired of hearing me complain that she sent me out looking for a zero turn. I want to stay somewhere in the vicinity of $5K, so for new I'm limited to homeowner models. I looked at JDs, Hustlers, CC, Landpride and Toro so far. All those were at lawncare/farm equipment dealers, but since the last place I visited was close to Home Depot I decided to check their CCs to make sure the one at the dealer wasn't the same thing they had.

They actually did have one of the CCs I had looked at, but they also had an Ariens Max Zoom 60" with a 26HP Kawi engine, and better hydraulics (ZT3100 vs ZT2800) than were on the other mowers for which I could find that info. It looked to be similar to the Hustler I looked at, but 60" vs 54" deck and a few more HP with the Kawi motor. The price is $5K vs $5300 for the Hustler.

Now, I'd rather buy at a dealer than HD, if only because the dealer would do the service if needed. However, from what I can tell, the Ariens seems to be about the best deal I saw today.

All the mowers I looked at had Kawi engines from 21 to 26 HP. The smallest deck was 54" and the largest 60". Thye price range was about $4800 to $5500.

I did find one used Kubota ZD18 with about 320 hours for an asking price of $5200 that was tempting, but I'm thinking how nice a warranty can be.

Warnings or suggestions welcomed.

Chuck

/ Ariens Zero Turn at Home Depot #2  
The Kaw motors are good engines...That's a plus. I don't know if Ariens makes their own stuff or not anymore...Something in my rattling brain says that they sold out, don't know if it's MTD or not (They make almost all homeowner tactors etc anymore). The Kaw motor is a good sign though...

For 5k you should be able to get a decent machine..Good luck.

/ Ariens Zero Turn at Home Depot #5  
For what its worth...

I cant recall ever seeing an Ariens ran by any commercial crews. That counts for something in my book.

That said, the specs on it look as good as any of the true commercial brands...

My feeling on it is if the price is close and the specs are close I'd be swayed to the commercial brands I see in the field even if it meant a slightly smaller deck.

You can figure acres per hour by taking cut size times speed divided by 99. So a 54" mower at 8 MPH will get through 4.36 acres per hour. A 60" will get through 4.84 acres per hour. For whatever thats worth to you.

/ Ariens Zero Turn at Home Depot #6  
For just a few more $$$$ you can get a Ferris IS500Z with a 61" deck and about a 26HP engine. My co pilot just got one for about $5700 last week. Its a commercial grade mower that is all welded, not stamped. The thinnest metal on the thing is 1/4", even on the deck. They have a great reputation and the full independent suspension makes mowing a dream. I maintain a fleet for a commercial mowing company and they are tough as nails. They use the IS2000Z and IS3100Z's. They have tried them all from Dixon, JD, Scag, ect but the Ferris is hands down the best. He can use them for 2 seasons and sell them off for new ones at only a 20% or so loss so they hold value terrific.

Do not waste your money on a HD box store model. He did just that 5 years ago with a Cub Cadet ZTR and he is now doing it over.

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/pages/mower.php?product_id=23

Chris

/ Ariens Zero Turn at Home Depot #7  
chuck said "Now, I'd rather buy at a dealer than HD, if only because the dealer would do the service if needed. However,......."

Seems you have already answered any question about what you should do. I'd certainly try, as others have here, to head you away from a box store, but already think you know, and have experienced, that you get what you pay for. Some people enjoy wrenching on the cheap stuff, and keeping it running. That may be you, but sounds like your dear wife doesn't either like to go without, or doesn't like you having to do mechanical fixing on the broken-down machine. :D

Doesn't mean that they don't all break down and need work sometime. But enjoy the search and hope you find the best one for the money. :)

/ Ariens Zero Turn at Home Depot
As it happens, reality has set in....again. We need, and I mean really need, to replace our air conditioner, and it makes sense to go to a heat pump, and all the duct will be replaced and some added. Our SIL is in HVAC, but even with contractor pricing and him basically giving us his labor, we're still looking at enough $$$ to make me second guess my need for a grass cutter.

I don't consider the time I spent looking wasted because we should be back in the market next year. Thanks for the input on the machines. I especially will see where the nearest Ferris dealer is, since I didn't think they had anything in that price range.

I don't really get excited about working on the old riding mower, but at least I have experience! :mur: This time I'm going with the cast iron pivot bar.

Chuck

/ Ariens Zero Turn at Home Depot #9  
Chuck,

I picked up a used Ariens 2048 ZTR on craigslist a couple years back. It's 20hp two-cylinder brigs motor, 48" deck, about 250 hours when I bought it and around 400 hours now. I use it pretty hard mowing around trees in fields and rough lawns. It's really been a pretty good unit, but not without it's problems.

The unit is fairly well built, the frame seems adequate and the deck is heavy. When shopping around, I used deck thickess/gauge as my measure of overall quality. It's probably fair to say that there are some commercial units as light as it, but no residential units as heavy as this unit.

I like that I can do a tune-up and buy the correct Brigs&Stratton plugs and filters at EVERY hardware and department store on the planet. I like the speed. I like that the motor seems to be pretty efficient for a 20hp gas motor and fill-ups, for me, are infrequent.

I dislike adjusting the drive mechanism. Driving a straight line means frequently tweaking pressure on the drive levers. Adjusting the linkages does not adequately solve the problem. I expect its a hydraulic flow/restriction issue. (So far it's not serious enough to warrant a tear down, only serious enough to be annoying.) I dislike the rough ride over any rutted area at speed. I dislike removing the deck.

I was looking at new $5k units made by all the big names same as you. I found this unit for $1500, and to do it over I'd buy it again. Taking money out of the equation, I'd get one of the tanks listed by some of the other posters.

/ Ariens Zero Turn at Home Depot #10  
i have looked at the ariens zero turn at home depot
the belts dont arent as heavy as other zero turn mowers
worried about slipping
and it looks like craftsman and bobcat ztr mowers are manufactured my husqvarna
from the looks of it there to similar
is this correct