Asian beetle defense?

/ Asian beetle defense? #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Getting to be that time when the onslaught of the dreaded Asian beetles will descend on the house. Hopefully not as bad as last year, but don't know yet.

What are your defenses? Spray? Traps? Acceptance?

The sites that discuss 'accepting' them as a good insect to have, discuss just sealing up all the cracks that they can crawl through to get into the house, but I don't think these people who say that, have a clue what they are talking about.

I am going to try to cut them off with spray. Going to use Ortho "Home Defense" initially. It has helped cut down on the spider and "Daddy Long-legs" infestations this summer, and, I think, has also wiped out the wasp population (at least I can't come up with any other conclusion for no wasps).

/ Asian beetle defense? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Getting to be that time when the onslaught of the dreaded Asian beetles will descend on the house. Hopefully not as bad as last year, but don't know yet.

What are your defenses? Spray? Traps? Acceptance?

)</font>

Might not work for you, but my free range chickens do a fantastic job of keeping down the beetle population!

Pete

/ Asian beetle defense? #3  
The best defense is killing them when they are in the grub stages before they turn into bettles that fly around and eat everything.

A lot of people recommend milky spore, which works, but I don't believe it is the best. It also does not work on masked chafer(?) bettles and their grubs, which do lots of damage to lawns.

You might want to try using beneficial nematodes. I buy them from Gardens Alive; they sell them as Grub Away Nematodes. They actually work! And they get rid of the problem for years. And they are non-poisonous so you don't have to worry about killing you dogs or cats or kids!

Garden's Alive Website

/ Asian beetle defense?
Bob
Thanks for the link, and upon looking up the asian (ladybug) beetle, here is what they say.

</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Unfortunately, there are only a few tactics that prove to be useful. First, your home should be tightly sealed, not only from the weather but also from these visitors. Doors, windows, and attic vents should be inspected every summer for small openings in screening, caulking-breaks around the trim, and any crevices that may have opened due to wood shrinkage. Once any of these problems are discovered, they should be remedied as soon as possible in order to keep these pests outdoors. Once they have found a way inside, these insects can be vacuumed up; then the bag inside the vacuum should be removed, placed into a tightly sealed plastic bag and moved to an outdoor location. )</font>
/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif