Asphalt sealing 101?

/ Asphalt sealing 101? #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Driveway finally got paved. Now I'm busy spreading loam around the edges. I've already scratched the new driveway with the FEL. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Nothing worse than It would get from plowing in the winter.

Driveway guy said to get it sealed next summer.

If it's so great, why doesn't the DPW use it on the roads?

My preliminary research says to have a pro do it, please enlighten me as to what they use that isn't available at the home center.

Is it thick enough to cover my plowing scratches?

/ Asphalt sealing 101? #2  
Depends on the depth of your scratches /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If they are just skinning the asphalt off of the stone, making it look gray, it'll cover. If you actually cut down into the blacktop, you are SOL.

It isnt used on highways simply because it will be worn off with the traffic that you will never see on a drive, and the expected life of a highway isnt that of a driveway. We did a lot of parking lots when I was working in the biz. Far as I know they held up real well. You put it on to fill in the little cracks that you cant see so that they dont turn into big cracks that you can see.

Anyhoo. If you DIY, get a Coal Tar Emulsion. Pretty much everything else is paint. You can add sand to the mix to fill in small gaps. Start with a floor broom that you will want to throw away, a squeegee, and a white wash brush. You use the brush near any concrete to keep it clean and do the edges.

After you get about a foot of so from the concrete, pour a line from the bucket and move it around with the squeegee, rub it in with the wet with sealer broom. You can use just a broom, but the squeegee will keep it from getting to thick. Pour, spread, rub till done. Its not real hard, after you do a few pours you will get the hang of it.

You are better off doing 2 thin coats than one thick. One thin is probably enough for a drive, 2 wont hurt. 2 will make it more look more even.

The benifit of having someone else do it is basicly in the cleanup. Wear junk pants, shirt, socks, and shoes. Some guys spray it on, I have never been a fan of that. Yes it looks more even, it is also cut pretty hard to get through a nozzle.

/ Asphalt sealing 101?
Thanks for the info.

Just realized I forgot to ask another question - how often do I need to do it?

/ Asphalt sealing 101? #4  
Probably every 2 years. Every year is ok if it looks like it needs it.

/ Asphalt sealing 101? #5  
I sealed my parent's driveway many times. It wasn't hard, just time consuming. I don't remember what the actual material was, but it came in five gallon buckets which my brother and I just poured around and brushed/squeegied out smooth. It was a black tar like substance. If it could sucessfully be installed by a 15 year old and his 12 year old brother with absolutely no supervision whatsoever, I suspect any grown person can do it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Asphalt sealing 101? #6  
I have similar questions, as had our drive done last May. The men that did it, suggested I seal it next year (not sooner) but that I don't get someone in that will spray it on. As Varmintist said, they cut it too thin to get through the nozzle to do any good. I am going to hire them to do it, as they suggested some of the spots that didn't roll out the smoothest, would fill in when sealed. Also, a couple spots that some sticks were right at the surface of the topping and showed up later with a small void.
As far as scratches, I made a couple with my forks, when I offloaded too big a pallet of shingles and 'nose-dived' a bit, dropping the FEL to keep the back wheels close to the ground, and marking the asphalt (not too bad, but didn't like to see it). Also, I have a 'bird bath' where the gas truck set too long when delivering gas two weeks after laying the new asphalt. Wish I had known to put down a pad for him to stop on.
But, its all better than the gravel drive was, except now I am out brooming off the asphalt to keep it clean of leaves and walnuts.
Thanks for posting.

/ Asphalt sealing 101? #7  
I think the biggest reason that sealing is a good idea on driveways, but isn't done on public roads, is compaction. The road crews use bigger rollers and get better compaction in the mix.

The coal tar emulsion sealers are oil proof, so crankcase drippings won't eat the asphalt.

As others have said, as you value your life, have a place to take off your filthy clothes outside the house.

/ Asphalt sealing 101? #8  
Our roads are sealed, about every 5 years. But not the way the asphalt drives are done. I thought it was because they can't shut the road off for the time period needed for the driveway sealers to set up and dry a bit.

Our roads are first sealed (not sure what oil or mix they spread) and then a layer of 'pea' gravel is spread on top. This pea gravel is for one thing, used so the cars can drive on it right away. It is very dusty, and some fresh sealer can throw up onto the car if hot and only a thin coat of pea gravel. After a week or so, the pea gravel is rolled off to the side by the cars, and a new coat of seal is laid down.

/ Asphalt sealing 101? #9  
I'd say to DIY.

Using Varmintmist's recommendations on what to get, how to do it and what to where will make it easy. I've been helping a friend do his the past several years. We had done it with 5 gal buckets but changed this year.
First - I'd recommend a place that makes/sells this for a living. You'll get a fresh mix (made same day or day before). This will help with consistancy and lack of need for stirring.
Instead of using buckets, see if they rent a large (couple hundred gallon) tank. They're about $30/day to rent. We used this approach on the coating this year and what a difference in time needed. He took his truck and a trailer to the place. They loaded the tank and added the correct amount of material. Drive it home and add the # of gallons of water they specify. The tank will have a handle connected to a large paddle inside. Stir it for about 5 minutes.
Off the back of the tank, they'll include a 5' long, 3" diameter hose with valve. Dump your material either directly on the driveway or into a 5 gal. bucket. Spread using Varmintmist's format.
Using this tank, we (2 of us) were able to do a 550' long driveway (+ turnarounds, double width at garage...) in about 2 1/2 hours. (about 7000 sq/ft total)

/ Asphalt sealing 101? #10  
Haven't seen the rental tank in our area, yet! But it is absolutely cheaper and easier to go to the asphalt plant and get a container filled. We have an extra 55 gallon drum we keep just for that project with a pour spout attached.