Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics)

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
The roof on the dog house covering this well was severely rotted and the tarp being used to cover it looked ratchet so in a spur of the moment I replaced it on Saturday..

I used PT 2x4 and plywood (3/4") and the best tar paper Lowes had.

My concern is the nails I put on the side edges.. I think I had to at the top edge but I put them on the sides because it was a pain cutting the overlapped shingles.. My back was bugging me lol.

I don't know squat about roofing, first timer..

What do you folks think?

Attachments

• image-1574965638.jpg
    image-1574965638.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 179
  • image-2893886442.jpg
    image-2893886442.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 202
  • image-3756198421.jpg
    image-3756198421.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 257
  • image-377699408.jpg
    image-377699408.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 291
   / Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #2  
Take some scrap small pieces of your shingles and hammer it down over nail heads,do on a hot day will help.

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #3  
it's a dog house, it will be fine for years. don't ever do that on your own house though, that's why shingles adhere to each other so you don't have to.

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics)
I call it a dog house for lack of perhaps a proper term. This enclosure covers a well.

I'd prefer it not leak.. I'm thinking it would not be a good idea for it to be moist during the winter and I'd rather not have to come back and do this again in a couple years!

I think I like the idea about putting pieces over the nails, might look better than dabbing tar on them. That stuff seems to cook out in a few years anyway.

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #5  
I would buy a tube of caulking designed for roofs and cover each nail head. Henry is my favorite brand and it's sold at Home Depot in their roofing isle. Lowes has something very similar if that's closer. Just make sure it's for roofs and it's black. Just put a spot on each nail head and spread with your finger.

How did you flash the high side? Ideally you want the metal to overlap the siding so there is no way for moisture to get behind the siding or into the structure.

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #6  
Its just fine for a covering for your well. Like has been said - don't nail the edges on your house roof.

Another point - unless there is something I don't see here - there is no ventilation on the "doghouse". Humidity/moisture accumulation inside the structure is what has led to the rotting of the wood. You might consider poking a couple holes - 6" - on opposite ends and installing screened vent covers.

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #7  
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics)
Thanks Eddie and Oosik.. I like the venting idea.. I'm going out of town for nearly 2 weeks so I'll revisit this then. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears..

And M5Farms, I know lol

It was dumb, I can't believe I did it.

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #9  
Eddie is right the drip edge on the top should of been on top of the shingle. You dont really need nails on the edges closest to camera. One day in the sun and they stick. Use a roofers black polyurethane (i think is what it is) caulk. Its real rubbery and black and can take the sun. I buy at lowes as we dont have an HD close. I think thier brand there is Black Jack and sold in the roofing isle. It stays soft and pliable to expand and contract.

Also it looks like i see a nail head between the tabs of the top shigle. At the end of the first shingle bwtween its last tab and the tab on the first of the next one on the top row. Put of caulk/sealent on this head as well. Lift the tabs to apply it if partially covered. Also do it with any other head you see anywhere. You should have your nails all fall completly under the tabs on the above rows.

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #10  
Eddie is right the drip edge on the top should of been on top of the shingle.

WHAT?!?!? Perhaps I am not reading you right, but the term shingle in the building world means to make sure the water that runs off of one thing goes OVER the next thing and not behind it. Drip edge over the roof shingle means the water will run behind it. Bad hoodoo. And I don't believe that is what Eddie said either.