ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #11  
If it's like a big truck motor it will have a return line to the tank from the fuel pump. My truck fuel tanks are vented. Your fuel tank cap may be vented but stopped up with grime. Take the cap off so it will be vented & see if u have the same problem. The fuel getting warm going thru the fuel pump then part of it returning to the fuel tank & fuel tank not vented may be why it is building pressure & possible cause of the other problems u are having

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking
Ok guys it was about what Beaudeane said above. This machine has a saddle tank design with a large line running across the bottom under the motor connecting the two sides. In the middle of that large line is a rubber line that runs to my fuel water seperator/filter. That line was all but completely stopped up, I got it cleaned out real good and it is running like it is supposed to. I am glad it wasn't anythign major. All i got in it now is new filters and some time chasing it down.

Thanks again guys

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #13  
Syphon a little fuel outta your tank now & see if it is regular color or real dark. If it's dark, u have algae growing in your tank. If so, go get some algae killer & extra fuel filters. May take a few treatments & several fuel filter changes (cause the dead algae will stop up filters) to stop it from growing in tank. Sounded goofy to me when I heard algae can grow in fuel & cause problems but after experiencing it myself I know it can cause problems also. This may or may not be what caused your issues but won't hurt to check it just in case.

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #14  
Had the exact same problem with my RC100. There's a pipe that joins both fuel tanks together with a Tee in the middle for engine supply. Over the years, debris collects in the tank and built up in the tee. Fuel gets cut off and engine dies with white smoke. Blowing it out with air in reverse direction fixed the problem. Take cap off tank before blowing out, otherwise you'll pressurize the tank and get a face full of fuel :)

Check those engine mounting bolts!! They are drilled into the crankcase. if one falls out, you'll lose your oil fast. Quick tighten with a 14mm socket. Picture below shows dirt built up from leaking oil when a bolt was loose.

0420101125b.jpg

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #15  
i just started having the same issue with a an ASV SR-80. It had been running fine when the temperatures were warmer. Now that we are seeing -10 at night i can barely get it started. Even with a good thaw from the block heater. Today i checked my vent and supply lines to the lift pump, they are clear. I repacled the fuel filter. I ran a line from a 5 gallon diesel tank to the lift pump. Still have the same issue...... i dissembled the lift pump to see if it was gummed up, it was clear. i ran it disassembled with my hand of the suction screen, seemed to be working fine. The discharge should be about 7 pounds. I still don't understand how the fuel tank becomes pressurized. When i do get it running, if i keep the the throttle at a steady 50 % i can use the machine. As soon as i start walking the throttle back and forth it will smoke white and eventually kill the engine. i hope someone in cyber space may have an answer for me. i am pulling my hair out. On a good note its to to cold to snow, so my driveway stays clear.

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #16  
Loosen or remove your fuel cap & run it.. as stated before, the cap is supposed to be vented.. it allows the tank to breathe.
Let us know how THAT works for ya.

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #17  
On my RC100,
White smoke is usually indication of water in the fuel-water separation bowl.
Black smoke is a plugged injector.
Blue smoke is a bad day.

Last edited:
   / ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #18  
Wow, thanks for the quick responses! I have ran it with the fuel cap off. I have drained the water collection numerous times. No change. I put diesel 911 which is suppose to combine with water to make methanol. I noticed the perkins fuel filter has a collection bowl attached to the bottom of the filter. My machine has a jacobson replacement filter with a twist water drain at the bottom. A little bit different than Perkins oem. (I bought it used). I wonder if this could have anything to do with it. I bought a set of gauges so I can test pressure between the lift pump and injection pump. I'm almost leaning towards a bad lift pump because the pump changed it's tune a lot when I tested it again. Anybody know what type of injection pump is on the sr-80? Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #19  
IF you haven't CHANGED the filter, do so.. DONT just keep draining it.
THEN check your pressure.
You might be skipping over the easiest & least expensive cure.

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #20  
After all the troubleshooting and lift pump replacement I found out I had water in my fuel. When the fuel/water got to the fuel filter/water separator the water froze and clogged my filter. I now run a water and slime eliminator at all times. I also hit the fuel filter after every run with a heat gun to melt the ice and drain it. I've learned that if you use a can to fill up your fuel tank you will get a lot of condensation within during the consant freezing and thawing. Another problem I have just encountered is my bucket loader arm stuck in the mid position after a couple of -10 degree day. I took a heat gun to the underside of the joystick and thawed the pilot valve within the joystick. I had just replaced all of the oil prior to the season so I was really confused. After talking with ASV I learned that the fluid on the Cntrl side stays stagnant. During a fluid change you have to drop the Cntrl pilot lines into a bucket and cap the other side on the valve manifold. You should work a gallon of oil through the joystick to be sure it is filled with clean fresh oil. This machine has a lot of niches that are not described in the service and maintenance manual. If anybody has any questions or similar problems message me. I may be able to help.