At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,511  
Obed, Please rethink cleaning your gutters yourself, your house, like mine is very high and a fall would result in very serious injury and maybe death....around here for $40.00 I can get all my gutters cleaned...

I am sure it would not cost you more than that and even if it was $50 whole dollars...isn't that worth it vs. the risk you are taking...one slip and it is over...you do not work on roofs for a living...other do...and you hire them...

OK ~ That's all I have to say about that....LOL
Bob,
Yeah, if I died, I would probably have to end this thread.

I may ask around to see what the going prices are. It took me 3 or 4 hours to clean all our gutters. We have over 200 ft of gutters surrounding our house. If I can find someone with insurance who will clean them for $50, I'll do it.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #4,512  
Bob,
It took me 3 or 4 hours to clean all our gutters. We have over 200 ft of gutters surrounding our house. If I could find someone with insurance who would clean them for $50, I would do it in a heartbeat. I may ask around to see what the going prices are.
Obed

Obed,
I found my gutter cleaner on Craig's list...there were a few of them...he was a young wiry guy and it took him about 1 hour to do ours and we have about the same amount of gutters as you do...he knew what he was doing and was all over the roof...I watched him and watched the leaves and pine needles come down...He did a great job...I don't know that he was insured...I have home owner's liability and an umbrella policy so I am not to worried about that...If you are real insistent on that it may stop you from finding someone reasonable..this is one of the basic labor jobs unskilled folks have to make money...the ones with insurance , which may be valid or not, I mean just because they show you an insurance card means nothing...you would need a policy to read and be sure his activity for you would be covered and then you would have to verify with the company that his premiums were paid up and it is still a gamble....So I just insure against any event...Umbrella policy...Obed, I am saying no matter the cost ...it is not worth the risk...one slip...think about it.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,513  
You should also consider gutter covers, so you won't have to worry about it AT ALL!

/ At Home In The Woods #4,514  
Bob,

I may ask around to see what the going prices are. It took me 3 or 4 hours to clean all our gutters. We have over 200 ft of gutters surrounding our house. If I can find someone with insurance who will clean them for $50, I'll do it.

Obed
Insurance is the key. Most will not have it and will sue you for everything and then some.

I just use a leaf blower to take care of my gutters. Works good. I have a small electric one that I prefer but I also have a gas unit. I made a extension that is about 7' long out of some stepped down PVC pipe and 45deg angle end and never get near the edge of the roof. Blow them out on the ground then mow over them to mulch them up.

I have lots of trees near my home and barn, both with gutters. There is 140' on the barn and about 200' on the house and I can do them all in about 20 minutes. That includes moving around the ladder.

Chris

/ At Home In The Woods #4,515  
You should also consider gutter covers, so you won't have to worry about it AT ALL!

Previous owner of our place had already installed these, well screens, we have big oaks all around our house. Those screens work great. LUTT

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,516  
Now that I have my ladder set up, the only part of cleaning the gutters that really made me nervous was cleaning the gutters on the sides of the large dormer in the back of the house. I had to climb down the step 8/12 pitch roof to get to the gutter. I suppose I could put gutter gards on the gutters on that dormer so I would not have to get up on the steep roof.

IMG_1498.JPG

I'm not excited in general about gutter guards. I've seen a lot that just don't work well. I heard lots of gutter guard owners complain about the oak tree fuzzies and other trash that still get into the gutters. The last thing I want to do is to have to remove a gutter covers on a 24' high roofline in order to clean the junk out of the gutter.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,517  
Bob,

Obed

No Obed, If you die by falling off the roof cleaning your gutters...we will keep your thread alive talking about you...and how you should have done this or that...so it will not end...It will serve as a reminder to do what you can safely do and pay for what you can't :)

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,518  
Insurance is the key. Most will not have it and will sue you for everything and then some.

I just use a leaf blower to take care of my gutters. Works good. I have a small electric one that I prefer but I also have a gas unit. I made a extension that is about 7' long out of some stepped down PVC pipe and 45deg angle end and never get near the edge of the roof. Blow them out on the ground then mow over them to mulch them up.

I have lots of trees near my home and barn, both with gutters. There is 140' on the barn and about 200' on the house and I can do them all in about 20 minutes. That includes moving around the ladder.

Chris
Chris,
I can definitely see how a small lightweight leaf blower could certainly speed up the process. Your blower modification sounds like the ticket.

I'm assuming some of your roofs are flat enough that you can walk on them.

From my ladder, I can reach about 12' of gutters (6' on each side) using my broom handle. So to access 200' of gutters, I have to move my ladder over 20 times considering all the house corners. Moving the ladder and climbing up and down it 20 times plus cleaning the junk out of the gutters just isn't going to happen in 20 minutes at my house or anywhere close to it, even with a leaf blower.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,519  
No Obed, If you die by falling off the roof cleaning your gutters...we will keep your thread alive talking about you...and how you should have done this or that...so it will not end...It will serve as a reminder to do what you can safely do and pay for what you can't :)
Maybe I could win a Darwin award?

/ At Home In The Woods #4,520  
Obed,

I used to own a landscaping company and while I didn't do a lot of gutter cleaning when I did I took a backpack blower onto the roof. I could stay 4 or 5 feet back from the edge and get all the leaves out.