AT&T and cell phone signal boosters.

/ AT&T and cell phone signal boosters. #11  
We had 1 bar service on our mounside home, wife complained to ATT, and received the cell booster at no charge.
A complete turnaround, no issues at all now. I would complain to ATT in person, and I feel sure you will get what you need.

/ AT&T and cell phone signal boosters. #12  
And just clarify, you do not need AT&T internet, I have Comast and my AT&T M-cell boosts my signal to 5 bars, 0-2 without it, I also got mine free, and a second when the first died after 4 years.

/ AT&T and cell phone signal boosters.
We had 1 bar service on our mounside home, wife complained to ATT, and received the cell booster at no charge.
A complete turnaround, no issues at all now. I would complain to ATT in person, and I feel sure you will get what you need.
That's what I am saying, some people get one for free while others are told no? The local AT&T stores say that they do not deal with low signal issues, call AT&T.

They did call me back twice but I was mowing or something where I do not carry my phone. Each time they left a message saying that they are trying to contact me. The second caller did not speak very clearly. I had to listen to the message several times to understand the caller. It would be my luck to call back and get someone like that.

Anyway, great feedback, thanks everyone. I have had a lot of other issues to deal with lately before we move into the new house so I have kind of put the cell issue aside for a few days.

/ AT&T and cell phone signal boosters. #14  
We had a Verizon Samsung cell phone extender that went through our internet. It died a couple weeks after our last wind and hail storm and we lost power. Free or not, these things are not a panacea. Let's see if we can count the ways:

- Works through the internet, duh. Which means if your internet is down and/or spotty, so is your cell phone service.

- If you have internet data limits, cell phone service will suffer. When we hit the data limits with that God awful Excede satellite service, we would get the "Wa, Wa, Wa" sound effects on our cell phones. They could hear us, but all we got were the adult sounds in a Peanuts show.

- If you lose power, you lose GPS lock. Don't know if it's policy or fed law, but these extenders won't work without a GPS signal for 911 calls, at least ours didn't. We live in a metal roofed house, so every time we lost power, I had to take the extender outside to get a GPS signal, then bring it inside and hook it up to the network router and power. What a PIA. If you can install it near a window or don't have a metal roof, this might work better for you.

We're now in the process of getting a Wilson/weBoost cell phone booster. Assuming we have a good enough signal to boost, then then the only downside is a power loss.

/ AT&T and cell phone signal boosters. #15  
We had a Verizon Samsung cell phone extender that went through our internet. It died a couple weeks after our last wind and hail storm and we lost power. Free or not, these things are not a panacea. Let's see if we can count the ways:

- Works through the internet, duh. Which means if your internet is down and/or spotty, so is your cell phone service.

- If you have internet data limits, cell phone service will suffer. When we hit the data limits with that God awful Excede satellite service, we would get the "Wa, Wa, Wa" sound effects on our cell phones. They could hear us, but all we got were the adult sounds in a Peanuts show.

- If you lose power, you lose GPS lock. Don't know if it's policy or fed law, but these extenders won't work without a GPS signal for 911 calls, at least ours didn't. We live in a metal roofed house, so every time we lost power, I had to take the extender outside to get a GPS signal, then bring it inside and hook it up to the network router and power. What a PIA. If you can install it near a window or don't have a metal roof, this might work better for you.

We're now in the process of getting a Wilson/weBoost cell phone booster. Assuming we have a good enough signal to boost, then then the only downside is a power loss.

All valid points, but if you have no signal without it...
I've had my M-cell for 5 years, it's been out twice, once in a thunderstorm that knocked out power, once when Comcast was down, but I can usually get 1-2 bars in one end of the house.

/ AT&T and cell phone signal boosters. #16  
Did a signal survey this morning around my house's exterior. The highest number I got was around -80dBm, most were in the -85- -95 dBm range. In other words, very poor.

These measurements were all taken at ground level, i.e. about 5' off the ground. they *should* improve if the exterior reciever antenna is installed about 15-17' above ground.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Wilson Pro 70 model: Wilson Pro 7 Cell Phone Signal Booster | 465134

/ AT&T and cell phone signal boosters. #17  
All valid points, but if you have no signal without it...
I've had my M-cell for 5 years, it's been out twice, once in a thunderstorm that knocked out power, once when Comcast was down, but I can usually get 1-2 bars in one end of the house.

Funny you should mention that: I went and did another cell phone signal survey around my house with my Motorola Droid Maxx. This time instead of just showing the "1x" signal, it also showed the "4G" signal strength. Which by the by, was in the -103 - -114 dBm range. In other words somewhere between Slim and none and it looked like Slim was leaving town.

Talked to two Wilson vendor tech reps. The first recommended not getting any booster (Pro 70 or not). The 2nd recommended getting one, but doing a "soft" install, if it works, great; if not, box it up and return it, about a $20 risk (i.e. return shipping). He also said that if a booster would work, the Pro 70 would be the one to get (which is what I was planning anyway). I went with this plan and tech rep because he had a much better understanding of the survey I did plus he was able to answer most of my tech questions without having to get someone else (the only question he had to ask was my power pole question). Ordered it and it should be shipping out today.

Having a good cell service is now no longer an option for us: I just had a loop heart monitor implanted yesterday and the base unit requires cell service to talk to the hospital/heart center. Apparently, they stopped making the landline version years ago.

/ AT&T and cell phone signal boosters. #18  
I have Verizon. Its fine in town but nothing at my cabin. We tried to get them to do something many times and they will not. So AT&T might be bad but don't think Verizon will be any better. We do not have internet access there. We bought a Wilson amplifier and it has worked wonders even though initial outside signal strength is low. It has to be installed just right in order to work and they are crazy expensive but I am thrilled with mine. They will take them in return if your signal is not sufficient to amplify.

Also, your readings look good to me. Aren't lower numbers better? I think 80 is great. We get about 110 and I can still download videos on my phone and do internet on my laptop via personal hotspot on phone. Not speedy by any stretch but still usable.

We got the amplifier that is suppose to be for over 1000 sq ft. It works great anywhere in the great room of our little 1000 sq ft cabin but not in the bedrooms. You have to be in sight of the booster in our case. No big deal for us but if you need use in multiple rooms get one with sufficient power.

/ AT&T and cell phone signal boosters. #19  
I have Verizon. Its fine in town but nothing at my cabin. We tried to get them to do something many times and they will not. So AT&T might be bad but don't think Verizon will be any better. We do not have internet access there. We bought a Wilson amplifier and it has worked wonders even though initial outside signal strength is low. It has to be installed just right in order to work and they are crazy expensive but I am thrilled with mine. They will take them in return if your signal is not sufficient to amplify.

Also, your readings look good to me. Aren't lower numbers better? I think 80 is great. We get about 110 and I can still download videos on my phone and do internet on my laptop via personal hotspot on phone. Not speedy by any stretch but still usable.

We got the amplifier that is suppose to be for over 1000 sq ft. It works great anywhere in the great room of our little 1000 sq ft cabin but not in the bedrooms. You have to be in sight of the booster in our case. No big deal for us but if you need use in multiple rooms get one with sufficient power.

Good to know that they'll accedpt the return if the booster won't work.

Yes, lower numbers are better.

However, the ~-80 numbers I posted earlier are labeled "1X" by my phone signal strength app. 1X isn't even voice much less data. I think data starts at 3G and 4G is better. The 4G numbers I'm measuring are in the -105 to -114, which is extremely marginal for a booster application. However, as the 2nd tech told me (and I agree): One test is worth a thousand theories. So, I should get it early next week, I'll do a "soft" install and see if it works, then go to the permanent installation.

/ AT&T and cell phone signal boosters. #20  
I'm interested to see how it works, seems like a better fix if it works, than internet based booster like I have.