Attaching field fence to back of t post

/ Attaching field fence to back of t post #11  
Pull and redo the posts, or just put the fencing up on the other side. If you pull them get a t post puller, that makes it easy.
I can see where this could turn ugly very quickly. Since it's only 100 yards, I'd put in my own T posts facing the correct way and be done with it. Sure, you'd have a double fence, but it also avoids several "issues" down the road.

/ Attaching field fence to back of t post #12  
I am thankful I live where such issues are not issues.

In any case, what are the chances of a land owner who hardly ever visits his property will care? He will want to keep you on his side anyway so you can keep an eye on his property.

Do what is easiest. Worst case you redo the fence if he complains and you find out he is a jerk.

/ Attaching field fence to back of t post #13  
I think it would be best to put your fence beside the neighbors. Two fences are better than one, especially when the absent owner doesn't know the whole story of the new fence.

/ Attaching field fence to back of t post #14  
Property line maintenance, including fence installation and maintenance, allows for travel across the property line in most states. Odds are the other property owner could not care less as long as the fence is functional and durable. Go to the Tax Assessor's office site for the county. It will give you a starting place as to how to locate the current owner.

/ Attaching field fence to back of t post #15  
I agree with others about putting in your own fence the right way and not using the existing T posts. When the owner or next renter sees that you have used them, you may be faced with doing your own fence anyway if they want to remove the existing fence that you have hung your fencing on. You can still look at the county property tax records and see if there is an address for the owner. Country people are usually very flexible but like anyone don't like surprises. Just an opinion from a horse person, I like the fencing on the side of the T-post facing the horse pasture (they can be very pushy on a fence, so electric strand is a good thing). Also, there are plastic protectors for the tops of the T posts, as a horse can impale itself on a T-post. No barb wire for horse pasture.

/ Attaching field fence to back of t post
I am thankful I live where such issues are not issues.

In any case, what are the chances of a land owner who hardly ever visits his property will care? He will want to keep you on his side anyway so you can keep an eye on his property.

Do what is easiest. Worst case you redo the fence if he complains and you find out he is a jerk.

This is what we decided to do... the original owner of our property replaced the barb wire along this 100 yard section with smooth wire... again, this is an assumption, however, all the other fencing around the neighbors property is barbed and the smooth wire there now is part of a continuous run along our property line...

If the neighbor does complain, or if there is an issue in the future with new owners we'll replace the t posts on our side and redo the field fence.

We weren't able to use any prefab clips due to issues raised earlier in this thread (V shaped clip installed "backwards" requiring tedious reforming of the clip)... we used 6" sections of the "waste" portion of the field fence and bent it to fit... a little more work to cut the pieces out but, what can I say, I'm frugal...

Living in Montana has it's perks... one of which is: We've yet to encounter any issues with our neighbors (or the local government) where they tell us, "Hey, you can't do that here!" Of course, we've contacted our neighbors before making any "permanent" changes to our property and we try to be considerate neighbors.

Thanks for all the replies here... many items which were brought up, well, I really hadn't thought them through...

/ Attaching field fence to back of t post #17  
We’re in the process of installing field fence around the perimeter of our 20 acres.

The previous owner kept horses so there’s currently a smooth wire fence.

All was going well until I hit a 100 yard stretch where (and this is an assumption) the neighbor had installed his fence prior to our property being fenced… the t posts face his property. It’s a rental property which has been vacant for almost a year now and I don’t have a way of contacting him to get permission to get onto his land to place our field fence on that side.

so… any “easy” way to attach our fence to the “back” of the t post? I’ve tried using clips (Fence Fork)… they don’t work…

My ideas are down to using bailing wire and lineman pliers… just not sure how securely I will be able to install the fence that way…

Any other ideas?
In Montana you are allowed to maintain the fence without any permission. I would just do what you have to do and call it good.

/ Attaching field fence to back of t post #18  
This is what we decided to do... the original owner of our property replaced the barb wire along this 100 yard section with smooth wire... again, this is an assumption, however, all the other fencing around the neighbors property is barbed and the smooth wire there now is part of a continuous run along our property line...

If the neighbor does complain, or if there is an issue in the future with new owners we'll replace the t posts on our side and redo the field fence.

We weren't able to use any prefab clips due to issues raised earlier in this thread (V shaped clip installed "backwards" requiring tedious reforming of the clip)... we used 6" sections of the "waste" portion of the field fence and bent it to fit... a little more work to cut the pieces out but, what can I say, I'm frugal...

Living in Montana has it's perks... one of which is: We've yet to encounter any issues with our neighbors (or the local government) where they tell us, "Hey, you can't do that here!" Of course, we've contacted our neighbors before making any "permanent" changes to our property and we try to be considerate neighbors.

Thanks for all the replies here... many items which were brought up, well, I really hadn't thought them through...
Good to know you are moving forward. I would have done the same thing - get it done as efficiently as possible when it seems like a matter of common sense.

BTW, if you have more fencing to do, you can space out those t-posts to 15 feet or even 20. I like to use 15 with mine. The logic is that with field fence, grazing animals never stick their heads through to eat on the other side, thus there is never physical pressure against the fence to make it lean. But add a barbed wire (4 point is best) an inch or so above the field fence to keep animals from pushing the field fence down as they reach over the fence. I have witnessed this with horses on two separate properties. I also run barbed on the ground to keep noses from trying to squirm underneath, especially in feral hog and deer territory.

/ Attaching field fence to back of t post #19  
I'm not picky about how it's fastened. I take some thick steel wire, cut off sections mybe 6" long, fold them over and around the fence and post. Then stick both ends in my battery drill and give it a whirl. Nice and tight. Maybe 3 loops top to bottom.

/ Attaching field fence to back of t post #20  
I've used the "normal" barbed wire ties, heavy gage smooth wire and even used some Copperweld. It's the nubs on the flat side the keep the barbed wire from sliding up/down. Regardless of which side of the T-post the barbed wire is on - as long as ties are tight - the barbed wire will remain tight and up in place.