Attaching implement with hydraulic top link

/ Attaching implement with hydraulic top link #1  

borisvonf

Tractor
Jd 5500 mfwd. Kawasaki mule sx 4x4 JD5103 with 521 loader
Just got a new land plane and love how it dresses my long gravel driveway (Have read about them here for years and finally bit the bullet). I am considering getting a hydraulic top link but didn’t know how you hook it up to the implement.
Thanks to TBN I have pats easy change hooks and love how I can set width for different implements. Normally, I back up and let vertical part of pats square up implement before raising lift arms to connect, then jump off and hook up mechanical top link. I’ve read with hydraulic top link, the order is:
extend it
connect it to implement top
use it to pull implement to lift arms.

Or do you put it in float and then manually push pull to get alignment after lift arms are connected?

Sorry for stupid question. I just don’t want to buy a new hydraulic top link and later find out it is more trouble than a it’s worth.

Also, since we are here, I have a joystick controller on my jd 5500. Will I be able to feather it or do I need flow restrictors to smooth it out? I only use hydraulics on lift wheels of offset plow so not a finesse game there.

I read some of debate on using float vs having pilot control valves. I have lots of hills so thinking no pilot valves and use float.

Well, thanks in advance for the advice. I have gotten lots of great tips here - flail mover (stored on furniture dollies), pat easy hooks, lpgs, the locking tip for grease gun, bungy on top link to support pto shaft when connecting, 3pt post hole digger storage and most of all safety tips. Be safe out there.

/ Attaching implement with hydraulic top link #2  
It’s no different to hook up than a regular top link. If the lift arms are not exactly square to the implement, (box blade for example), sometimes one pats link will latch and the other one won’t. In that case, you can drop the hitch slightly and pull the implement towards the hitch and pick it up and it will latch. It works great. Don’t worry, get one. It won’t take 5 minutes and you will figure it out. You may have to bump the joystick to lengthen or to shorten it to put the implement pin in. I don’t have float on my top link and there is no problem.

/ Attaching implement with hydraulic top link #3  
I have no answers ................. only the same questions ............ Looking for the Wisdom of TBN ......... Namaste!

/ Attaching implement with hydraulic top link #4  
The hydro top link really shines when using a quick hitch and the quick hitch really works best with the hydro top link. The cylinder is heavy enough that it's aggravating to hold it up while bumping the valve to shorten or lengthen the shaft. Otherwise a strap or wire to hold it higher that the implement helps.

/ Attaching implement with hydraulic top link #5  
My top link is not too heavy to hold up, and I can reach the rear remote levers while standing behind the tractor. So I unhook the top link from the holder, adjust the link length and push the pin in. It's much easier and faster than using a turnbuckle top link.

/ Attaching implement with hydraulic top link
My top link is not too heavy to hold up, and I can reach the rear remote levers while standing behind the tractor. So I unhook the top link from the holder, adjust the link length and push the pin in. It's much easier and faster than using a turnbuckle top link.
Eric,
how are you adjusting hydro top link length? Are you using float and push/pull easily? I know kind of dumb question, but I see bloody knuckles in my future if I struggle. I always say if your gonna be dumb u gotta be tough. Unfortunately my dumb exceeds my tough often.

/ Attaching implement with hydraulic top link #7  
Using the rear remote hydraulic levers, just like I would when operating the tractor from the seat. They're between the seat and the fender but I can just reach them when standing behind the tractor. I say levers because I have a tilt cylinder too and use the other lever to operate that when hooking up.

I had no idea when I ordered the tractor but being able to adjust the top and tilt from behind the tractor makes hooking up a lot easier. Some tractors have rear mounted auxiliary levers for this reason. If I couldn't reach mine I'd fab my own aux levers.

/ Attaching implement with hydraulic top link #8  
I use a Quick Hitch... with TnT I only have to get off the tractor to hook up PTO, hydraulics or mess with a kickstand. I can open the back window & lean out to unlatch the QH.

A hydraulic toplink is a lot heavier than a threaded one, but not unmanageable. Instead of threading or unthreading the screw you'll have to bump pthe hydraulics a bit.

/ Attaching implement with hydraulic top link #9  
There is a hook to hold the TL when not hooked up. I hook my hydraulic TL on it, extend the arm, unhook and place on top of the implement pin then gently use hydraulics to retract it to the proper length.

Never had an issue bigger than having to adjust a couple to times to get it right and never thought of floating it.

I'll give the "float" method a try and see if it makes things easier.

BTW, adding T&T may be one of the best things I've done. Got mine from Brian at Fit Right. He is a great guy.

/ Attaching implement with hydraulic top link #10  
The best part of having hydraulic top link is discovering all the things that its useful for.