ATV dump trailer.

/ ATV dump trailer. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
We have a Polaris Ranger 800 Crew.

The wife has asked "Why can't we get a dump trailer for wood chips and gravel etc." I have no good answer other than "What a great idea".

If anyone has recommendations, they would be appreciated.

I've found a company called ATI that has what looks to be a very nice trailer: Amazing ATV Dump Trailer - Workman XL by ABI

Anyone familiar with them?

I tried a search but didn't get much info so thought I'd ask directly.

/ ATV dump trailer. #3  
The gold standard in all-terrain, dumping trailers for ATVs is the MUTS. Mine is five years old and used hard. Absolutely bullet proof. I would buy the MUTS brand again in a heartbeat.

MUTS - Multi-Use Trailer System for your ATV, Quad and 4 Wheeler

Much cheaper but only partially dumping, are the molded Polar ATV trailers available from Lowe's and Home Depot web sites. (Read the reviews, some complaints on durability of running gear.)

POLAR LINK: Google

All-terrain trailers carry the load low, between the wheels, not above the wheels, like the ABI.

Attachments

• DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 834
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,536
  • 712nrL4mB4L._SX522_.jpg
    712nrL4mB4L._SX522_.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 377
  • DSC00107.jpg
    DSC00107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,866
Last edited:
   / ATV dump trailer. #4  
Your Workman XL-WXL trailer does look interesting and you should do a review of it in the ATV/UTV. Seems that it costs less than our CMI trailer did....... The CMI has a higher load capacity but like I said in its review, the manufacturer was kidding..

The Polar trailers are quite light. Would you care to buy used one we have :)??

The gold standard in all-terrain, dumping trailers for ATVs is the MUTS. Mine is five years old and used hard. Absolutely bullet proof. I would buy the MUTS brand again in a heartbeat.

MUTS - Multi-Use Trailer System for your ATV, Quad and 4 Wheeler

Much cheaper but only partially dumping, are the molded Polar ATV trailers available from Lowe's and Home Depot web sites. (Read the reviews, some complaints on durability of running gear.)

POLAR LINK: Google

All-terrain trailers carry the load low, between the wheels, not above the wheels, like the ABI.

/ ATV dump trailer. #5  
I have a MUTS that I love. I managed to get the mesh side extensions with mine...the best decision I could have made! I move more manure/bedding mix than anything else (so far) and it is easy to overload my trailer, but it hasn't suffered from it yet. It tows really nicely behind my RTV 1100.

Additional options you might look into are the DR Versa or T-Rex...there are likely others that I don't know about.

MUTS 003s.jpg

/ ATV dump trailer.
The MUTS trailer looks nice. Only problem I'm having is trying to find out what they cost. Guess I'll have to break-down and call them.

When prices are not listed on websites, I get ready for "sticker shock".

/ ATV dump trailer. #7  
I guess a great deal of an ATV dump Trailer's perception is based on what will be haled and how much you why to spend.

I wanted good sized capacity it I didn't want unstable or expensive. I looked at numerous 4 wheeled dump trailers and compared them with my needs and found them not to my liking. I ended up getting the 2 wheel 1500 LG capacity Polar Industries product.

Some might say it is light in weight. . . Yet the tires and axle/frame handle 1500 pounds if needed and the unit has handled everything I've thrown at it including water, concrete, rock, wood and landscaping blocks and bricks. I have no rust or dents or cracks. In the purchase I got the upper optional extensnsions which is great for hauling quantity of brush, leaves, or grass. And because of pricing/sales I could have gotten the 4 wheel version for 650.00 plus tax or the 2 wheel for 345.00 plus tax.

Alot of capacity and flexibility for 350 bucks Imo with include the extensions too and I put it together myself with a couple small modifications and adjustments o make it more durable as well.

Nice thing is I can pull it with my riding mower or sub compact tractor or an atv. It's wide enough to handle sidehill or uneven terrain and tires are quality and don't bother when it's on lawn.

Light yet strong. . . Big capacity yet inexpensive. Pretty great combination for my varied needs. . . And it's so easy to clean out because nothing sticks to it. . . Just let the rain do I for you.

/ ATV dump trailer.
So, I went with the ABI. My reasoning was:

1 - Wanted to be able to dump while driving (Think of spreading gravel).
2 - Offered a wireless remote dump option - Though it would be handy. That's the least attractive aspect - will explain more later.

Purchase was simple. Delivery was within about a week.

Noticed some minor damage when it was delivered. Thought about refusing delivery. Called ABI and they, strongly, recommended I accept delivery. Said they had great customer service and, unless there was major damage, accepting was best opiton.

I accepted delivery.

Paint damage was minor but the powder coating on one side was substandard. Had a lot of grains (sand?) in it.

Assembly was straightforward, manual was well done except for the photos (why can't they be more clear?) Construction seems somewhat light but, after all, it is a UTV trailer. Shipping weight was about 500 lbs. Towing capacity of my Polaris is 1,000 lbs. I guess the more robust the trailer is constructed, the less payload I could tow. Yes, I know it will pull more than 1K. I'm just speaking to specifications.

Wiring took me a while because I don't do it often and wanted to be careful to get it right the first time. Instructions were well done. Supplied quick connectors were substandard (didn't allow sufficient room for wire to positively make connection) so I used some I had that let the wire go past connector a little bit (ensures connection).

One wiring issue, NOT ABI's fault, I have a Polaris 800 Crew. The wiring harness was not long enough to reach the battery. I added wire so the fix was easy.

Wireless Remote - Thank goodness I went with this option. Knowing that the wiring harness was not long enough to reach the battery, guess what, the toggle switch wouldn't reach the dash board. With a wireless fob attached to the key, no need for the toggle switch. I folded the wiring up, taped off the connector and secured it on the Polaris frame. If I need it later, I'll figure out how/where to mount it.

As to their Customer Service, they offered to credit my credit card $100 for the damage. I told them I thought they should credit me 10% (about $200). They refused.

Knowing what I now know, I wish I had refused the first one and forced them to send another. That would have cost them a lot more than $100. Guess they know they have you over the barrel when you've accepted delivery.

I'll post more once I use it.

/ ATV dump trailer. #9  
I have a JD 21,, it is low, great for hand loading,, (yes, it dumps)

spring%20cleaning4_zpswtue9v6y.jpg

The bed is 4 feet X 4 feet,,, I believe heaped, it will hold 21 cubic feet of material

I would not be afraid to haul 1,000 pounds with it.

spring%20cleaning2_zpshkjg0agv.jpg

/ ATV dump trailer. #10  
Hello Buford Boone, What is your soil type? I have found under certain conditions clay will stick to the wheels and build up to the point you are dragged to a halt. If you can place your fist width ways between the tandem wheels there is enough clearance.
I think you will want a headboard. I definately did, it was much easier to cart hay bales without a load strap and was a help carting wood to.
I look forward to your review.