ATV pricing

/ ATV pricing #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
I think I am going to buy an ATV soon. I'd like to know what kind of pricing I can expect. I am real confident about being able to get a decent deal on a tractor, especially a Kubota, due to all of the information posted on TBN and Will's excellent page containing the pricing calculator. An ATV is another story.
What type of discount can I expect off MSRP? This will be a cash deal, no trade. no finance, just "out the door." Can I expect the "set up" fee to "go away?"Would 10-15% off list
be reasonable?
I am torn between the Honda Foreman S and the Yamaha Kodiak 450. Any thoughts about these two machines?
As always, thanks in advance,
Will

/ ATV pricing #2  
Will,

We have two Honda Foreman 450's, they are not the electric shift ES models which I feel are not worth the extra complexity and cost. One of ours is a 2000 model and the second is a 2001, we have had no problems with either except for having to replace the batteries twice. The only thing I do not like about our machines is the full time 4WD. Newer models have a selectable 2wd/4wd. As for pricing you can take 10 percent off MSRP as standard and with a little dickering you can do better. The dealer will likely give you a price which includes any current factory rebates that can range from another $200 to $400 off. Good luck !!

/ ATV pricing #3  
I wouldn't expect to get much off of an ATV and personally I wouldn't even try on that one as there is hardly any profit for the guys selling them. ATV's have such a low markup that there is hardly any profit in them. I have a couple friends that own ATV shops and they only make about 10% of the sale. I asked why in the heck they even bother. They said they make the money off of the accessories, repairs, and parts.

/ ATV pricing #4  
I agree with cowboydoc......not that much markup on ATV's. But this is a great time of year to buy. When I bought my little Polaris it was the last 2000 model on the floor and they wanted to move it.....It was about 800 less than the same model as a 2001. I have been seeing some good deals advertised on Honda's lately. Let us know what you settle on.

/ ATV pricing
I was asking this question because I have seen the machines advertised on the internet for roughly $1000-1200 lower than MSRP. I don't expect the local dealers in our rural area to match these prices, but I do expect them to come down from MSRP. I guess I'll have to go out and beat the bushes and get some quotes. Thanks,
Will

/ ATV pricing #6  
Don't forget about the used market on ATVs. If you look, you can very likely stumble across some good deals. Sure there are some ragged out ATVs on the used market, but there are also some machines in good condition too. My '97 Suzuki LT-250 4WD sold for over $5K brand new. I bought it for $2400 this past March with 400 miles on it and after less than $100 in parts, the only difference between it and a new one is a bent front rack and a few miles.
Jeff

Attachments

• 355250-image0003.jpg
    355250-image0003.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 374
   / ATV pricing #7  
I have a 2000 foreman s and can say it is a awesome utility machine. it has 3400 miles on and i have put all on it. i ride with alot of other atv's and IMO there is no better.
i know i paid like $5300 in 99.
i think you can get one now for around 5700 and wouldnt hesitate for a second on paying that much for one.
the only things i have done is replace the left rear bearing and a cv joint boot and ball joint ( the last two were my fault for replacing) .

i also have a kawasaki 300 4x4 bayou 92 model. this one has unknown miles (alot) and has needed 100 times the maint. as the honda.

honda is by far the superior machine.

/ ATV pricing #8  
I bought an 03 Honda Foreman ES exactly one year ago. I paid $5499. I don't remember what the MSRP was, but I know it was higher than that. The dealer I bought from gave me the same price on an S model or an ES. I went with the electric shift for convenience.

Lawrence

/ ATV pricing #9  
I don't know if the prices being posted include tax but my '01 Foreman S set me back just under $5000 plus the six percent sales tax. MSRP was about $5500. I think the ES model was another $100-$150 at the time I bought mine.

/ ATV pricing
Thanks for all the help! I bought a 04 Foreman S today. I went to several dealers and ended up at the one closest to my house. The best quote I had was $5350 for the machine, and I bought it for $5416 from the local dealer whom I liked better. Retail was $5799, so I saved enough that $5800 covered everything (tax,tags,etc.)
The simplicity of the Foreman S won me over. I'm not a speed freak, so I did not need a "go-fast" machine, and, as far as work goes, what can the ATV do that the Kubota won't do better ?/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Again, thanks for the help, the ol' TBN brain trust comes through again!!
Will