ATV Tubeless Tire Repair

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #11  
Thanks for all the good replies - I am very glad I asked. Guess I've been lucky and never had to learn much about tire repair. Now I'll get to patch a radial tire.

gg
I've even sewed gashes with wire. I would sew an ATV tire. I've used steel plates and a lot of bolts Plate was on a big Payloader tire over 4' tall. Has been holding for over 20 years now. It has forks on front and is used to stack vehicles at a junk yard. Not scrap but junk autos. We do keep that tire on the back.

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #12  
Definitely put a patch over the hole, inside the tire. What can (and will, on semi tires) happen is, as the tire flexes, the cut will keep "nibbling" on the tube until it worries a hole in it.
We used a patch that looked like a giant thumb tack. Prepare the inside of the tire with solvent, then glue. Fish the "sharp point" end of the "thumb tack" thru the hole, from the inside, then pull it thru until the underside of the thumbtack connects with the inner layer of the tire. Pull it tight, then roll the patch down from the inside. Snip off the excess stem, talc the glue area so it doesn't stick to the new tube, and your ready to install the tube.

Its going to be hard to source that ^^kind of patch, but a regular patch that's used on tubes will suffice. If the tire is a radial, you need to find a patch rated for radial.

Edit: in retrospect, if you have to take the tire off the rim anyway, just patch the tire from the inside with a appropriate patch onto the inner liner. Prep with solvent, grind or buff the area until smooth, apply glue, let dry, then apply patch and roll down. Might be easier and just as economical to have a tire shop do it.

I've done my own tires all my life, as well as hundreds or even thousands of car, truck, trailer and wagon tires, and this is how i do it.

Those thumbtacks are called patch plugs and they come in various sizes. Use them myself.

A cut that big will have to be booted.

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #13  
So that all of us learn as we go,can you elaborate as to the reason tire doesn't "slip on rim"and release inflation when run tubeless? Thanks

They do. But the valve stem is only connected to the rim, so it doesn't matter.

The friction between the rubber tube and rubber tyre is much higher than between the rubber tube and the steel rim, so when the tyre slips on the rim it is taking the tube with it. And the valve stem is connected to the tube now.

James

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #14  
They do. But the valve stem is only connected to the rim, so it doesn't matter.

The friction between the rubber tube and rubber tyre is much higher than between the rubber tube and the steel rim, so when the tyre slips on the rim it is taking the tube with it. And the valve stem is connected to the tube now.

James
Exactly.
Tubeless tire slips a little on the rim = not really an issue, valve stem is on the rim.
Tube tire slips on the rim and the tube slips with it ripping the valve stem from the tube.
It is a possibility at 4 psi.

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #15  
Just remember that you may run the tire at 4 psi but once you debead the tire you'll need more pressure to mount it again. If it's that big of a gash a patch may not be enough to keep the tube inside the tire while trying to seat it. I don't know how close they are to you but Pete's Tire Barn in Berlin carries Firestone tubes. The last time I got ATV tubes from them they were made in the US, not China like the ones sold at Tractor Supply.

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #16  
The hardest part of that task is breaking the beads down off the seats and getting the tire off the rim without destroying it. Many ATV wheels have humps in the rim that act sort of like bead locks. That is what allows you to run such low air pressures without the bead falling off the rim. I doubt that even at 4psi the tire is slipping on the rim. You would have to be putting way more than stock HP on the tire to get it to slip.

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #17  
There is a chance at only 4 psi the tire could slip on the rim and rip the valve stem from a tube. (unless you have rim locks)
No them tires have large bead area, they won't slip. I used to work at Polaris. But any ATV tires for machines like that have large beads.

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair
It's been tubed 2 months now and the inside of the tire gash patched. The bead was harder to brake than I thought it would be. Went easy though when I finely used a piece of 2X8 with a little moon cut out of one side and pushed down on it with my loader. Tire will never slip the way I ride. To me the wheeler is just another work machine that can go where other stuff can't.

gg

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #19  
Nobody has added that the way the tire bead and the bead area on the rim are shaped is actually different between tube and tubeless tires. Beads are harder to pop on tubeless type tires because they are tighter in the first place. Pushing the tire bead slightly away from the rim on a tube type tire won't do anything but introduce dirt/debris. On a tubeless it's an instant total deflation. To keep tires from debeading and grinding rims into the ground every time a tubeless tire goes low/flat, they fit more tightly to the rim in the first place.

Something like the fastest Tesla Model S can far exceed 1g of acceleration on its way to hitting 60mph in 1.9 seconds without slipping a rim. If you got a tube type tired vehicle to do that, it would probably rip the valve stems off of all 4 tubes at launch. :ROFLMAO: