ATV's Legal or not????

/ ATV's Legal or not???? #1  

chico922

Tractor
John deere 755
ATV\'s Legal or not????

I know this doesn't have much to do with tractors but I wanted to know what all of you this about this.

I live in Rockford, IL. I myself own 3 ATV's and I do agree with a lot of people in saying there isn't a lot of room to ride them around here. I own 3 acare yard so it isnt a big probelm for me.

The county now wants to outlaw ATV's in the city limits. They say that they are to nosie, wrekless, and tear up peoples yards. They want to open a ATV park on a 50 lot out by the airaport. I know that this will help for the timebeing but that isnt't big enoguh to keep them from breaking some rules. I was woundering if anyone out there has anyother ideas for us. My friend is on the head commiteet so I will bring them up to the front.

Thanks
Chico922@excite.com

/ ATV's Legal or not???? #2  
Re: ATV\'s Legal or not????

Try moving the thread to the rural livving or related topics part of the forum. You will probably get more feedback.

I imagine they would be kinda bad in city limits. How much room is there to ride in city limits, and can they get to it without riding on the streets?

There will always be the 5% rulebreakers who ruin it for the other 95%....

/ ATV's Legal or not???? #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Try moving the thread to the rural livving or related topics part of the forum. You will probably get more feedback.

I imagine they would be kinda bad in city limits. How much room is there to ride in city limits, and can they get to it without riding on the streets?

There will always be the 5% rulebreakers who ruin it for the other 95%.... )</font>

In Minnesota it is getting so you can't ride them in the country anymore. Can't go in the ditches of any road either.

/ ATV's Legal or not???? #4  

Chico, if the county is willing to open up a dedicated ATV park, then that sounds like an excellent idea to me. If it is managed and maintained properly it could be a very popular hangout and will probably even grow.

In my area, you don't have to look very far to find how ATVers have taken over vacant parcels of land along major highways and caused growing erosion problems. The riders are traffic hazards as they dart across highways and pull their trailers to the side of the road to unload. What you are experiencing with your city's rules is probably a reaction of people who are fed up with this type of activity. It may only be 5% of the owners who cause these problems, but if you live nextdoor to a place ATVers ride, it's 100% of the ones you see. You have to consider the observer's point of view and opinions.

I just think if your county wants to sponsor a park near the airport you should get onboard with the idea and work to make sure it's a safe and successful operation.

/ ATV's Legal or not???? #5  

Jinman's right on with his response. We live next to federal property that is co-managed by the state as a state park. There is a long dike that is part of the flood control project & it ends at our house. No motorized vehicles are allowed on it, but that doesn't stop a whole lot of atv'ers & snowmobilers. They go around the steel gate at the end, across our field & on two occasions this winter, up & down our driveway. Both times we were not home. It's really taking its toll on my patience. The conservation officer dropped off some no snowmobiling signs. He seems to think they have a greater understanding for that than the no tresspassing signs I put up. I remain doubtful.

/ ATV's Legal or not???? #6  

It seems that the city/county is willing to work with atv owners. Many places they would just outlaw them and that would be that. Pay a visit to the forum at http://www.atvnation.com and post your question there.

/ ATV's Legal or not???? #7  

There was a recent article in the local paper about some people who live in a semi-rural area nearby, although they are in some city limits. They have several acres and created their own motocross type track for their own bike and atv riding. Their neighbors began complaining, and I believe filed a law suit. The city got in and ordered them to shut it down. Now they are in a big legal dispute. Make sure whatever you do, you get all the proper approvals beforehand.

/ ATV's Legal or not???? #8  

Murph,

In the small town a few miles from my house they just banned snowmobiles on the city streets. From what I've heard it has very little to do with reckless driving and more to do with the fact that the newest "community members" do not like snowmobiles driving in town.

We can still ride ATVs in the ditches in Anoka county, but I know they are looking closely at adopting the same rules you have in southern MN.

The back of our property is bordered by a railroad track and the ATV's like to run in the ditch between my fence line and the tracks. There is a break in the fenceline where they could get on my property, but in nearly 6 years I have not had one ATV, motorcycle or snowmobile come on my property. If all riders were like the ones I see, we wouldn't need many of these rules. As a responsible rider, it must drive you crazy to see riding space being eliminated because of a very small minority.

Bob

/ ATV's Legal or not???? #9  

There is a pretty large RV park in the valley near where I live. It's amazing the traffic that lines up there to go in regardless of the weather. ATV's, Motocross, Jeeps, etc. The county charges a fee, folks sign a waiver and everyone seems happy.

I would work with the local Parks and Req (or similar agency) in your area to get one set up. You might get local businesses to support it. I know in our area all the large ranchers supported it....keeps the atvr's from chasing the cattle.

/ ATV's Legal or not???? #10  

I like how the ATV restrictions are getting tighter. I know most kids my age like to raise hell with the things and we used to have a huge problem on our property and our neighbors with people some kids and some adults coming right onto our property. One time I rounded up about 15 of the tresspassers with my Marlin 22 and told them to leave. And other times me and my dad had to get the police to come out to get 2 50 year old adults to leave our property. That worked and it has since died down. Them atvs really tear up the ditches and scare the horseback riders around my part of town. I'm not saying ATV's are bad but everybody who wants to ride them should ride on their own land or go to a designated spot to ride.