Auger with "hiccups" while spinning...

/ Auger with "hiccups" while spinning... #1  

agapito

Tractor
Branson
Hello,
My post hole digger is acting weird when I connect the auger. It wasn't doing that a few months ago when I dug a few holes around my property, but now it seems like every time I connect the auger it starts to have some sort of very short pauses while rotating. If I remove the auger the post hole digger shaft seems to be doing just fine, spinning with no hiccups. I was bush hogging last week and the pto seems to be working fine.
Any idea of what could be going on there? Attached some videos to show what I'm talking about.
Thanks in advance,

/ Auger with "hiccups" while spinning... #2  
From the videos, that might be caused by an angle too sharp on the PTO shaft. I would take the auger out, like on the third video, lower the attachment about half way and try again. The reason you might not notice much on the third video, the one without the auger is because you don't have the auger making all the noise and creating more mass to be rotated.

Another possibility, is that the PTO shaft is not phased correctly but I don't think that's it as most shaft will only slide on the other half in one position.

/ Auger with "hiccups" while spinning... #3  
It kinda sounds like the gearbox may be skipping; does it actually dig ok, or can you feel any roughness when you turn it by hand?

/ Auger with "hiccups" while spinning...
It kinda sounds like the gearbox may be skipping; does it actually dig ok, or can you feel any roughness when you turn it by hand?
When I turn it by hands it turns smoothly, I forgot to mention that.

/ Auger with "hiccups" while spinning... #5  
Video number one screams at me to get the ujoint some relief. Video three seems to confirm it as the ujoint is not in as tight of angle.

Video number one screams at me to get the ujoint some relief. Video three seems to confirm it as the ujoint is not in as tight of angle.
So you think the problem resides in the ujoint? The last time I used it, it was working fine. How can I fix it? maybe unlocking the ujoint and readjusting it? I'm not a good mechanic, as you probably noticed already :(

/ Auger with "hiccups" while spinning... #7  
Man IDK but I have never seen one angled that tight that didnt act like that. Thats whether they had a load on them or not. My opinion is something changed if you used it before with no driveline noise.

/ Auger with "hiccups" while spinning... #8  
When you connect the 2 halves of the PTO shaft are the U-joints on both ends in phase. That is when one X is horizontal the other must match it. If not, they will be out of phase and traveling at slightly different rotation speeds.

Man IDK but I have never seen one angled that tight that didnt act like that. Thats whether they had a load on them or not. My opinion is something changed if you used it before with no driveline noise.
Thank you, really appreciate the help. I posted it in another forum and they seems to agree with you and they recommended open the head/gear box to look for broken pieces

/ Auger with "hiccups" while spinning... #10  
When you connect the 2 halves of the PTO shaft are the U-joints on both ends in phase. That is when one X is horizontal the other must match it. If not, they will be out of phase and traveling at slightly different rotation speeds.
shows all the common U joint issues I could never understand people explaining to me in text.