Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed

/ Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed #11  
I figured you were kidding, with the smiley but history is full of folks that have done such things.

Here is a guy that wound up loosing 80 of his 120 acres trying to pay bills after he booby trapped an old building on his land.

Katko v. Briney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed #12  
You know, ever since I was a little kid, lo these many years ago, that has always pissed me off, why, if you're up to no good, whatever happens to you intentional or not is a problem for someone else. If you're poaching, trespassing, burglarizing, etc. if something happens it's your TS!

/ Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed #13  
You know, ever since I was a little kid, lo these many years ago, that has always pissed me off, why, if you're up to no good, whatever happens to you intentional or not is a problem for someone else. If you're poaching, trespassing, burglarizing, etc. if something happens it's your TS!

Setting of spring guns or booby traps without notice is an inhumane act, and the owner is liable if injury ensues according to old English Common Law. I guess the colonists brought that law over here when they came.

The public policy behind that law is the owner's erroneous presumption that anyone entering the premises is doing so illegally. If, for just one example, the police are entering under authority of a search warrant, they are there legally.

/ Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed
The auto gate openers normally just have a hairpin clip to hold the shaft to the gate mount. If someone has the gall to remove your chain, you will need to make the opener a lot more secure than the way it is manufactured.

Everything seems cheap that way. Spot welded pins, and improved features in the construction is what I plan on. Nothing is 100% secure, but one can make it a hassle to mess with. For now we pad lock the gate, so it's a hassle for us on a daily basis.

Oh, thanks for the lead on the mighty mule... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed #15  
A good HEAVY built pipe gate with a well protected lock and plenty of no tresspassing signs. Back those up with both obvious and well hidden game cams. Make sure the obvious 1s are cheap enough you wouldn't be too mad about them being destroyed.
If you really want to get cute, you can install 'dummy' cameras that are easy to spot and your nemesis will think they got you... the real camera all along catching them vandalizing as well as trespassing!

/ Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed #16  
I have been using MM/GTO Pro openers for 15 years along with No Trespassing signs and Attack Dog signs. Also driveway alarms. Works like a champ...

/ Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed #17  
A bio hazard sign or something similar along with a couple of empty 55 gallon drums might keep unwanted trespassers out. Who wouldn't be scared of the possibility of an extra appendage? Although it might be difficult to explain if have a bunch of trespassing hippies.

Steve

/ Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed #18  
Setting of spring guns or booby traps without notice is an inhumane act..

To bad we can't post signs saying the place is booby trapped and then set traps.
Just as well, I would forget about the traps and get "caught" in them myself.

Last year I had my place broken into twice.
The first time they took the gates off the hinges and stole a dozen transmissions and radiators and the second time, after I reinforced the hinges, they drove a truck over the gate and only got two $3 test lights.

They barley missed getting caught. I was on the back of the property working on my backhoe and had left for a couple hours. They drove over the gate and found the backhoe and stole the test lights.

/ Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed #19  
I had an Elite model by Chamberlain/Liftmaster put in this past spring. Complete solar setup with keypad in & out of the gate and 3 clickers in the car. Rated for 1 million+ actuations and still going strong at the company headquarters. Here's a couple of pics...

ForumRunner_20130825_135054.png

ForumRunner_20130825_135110.png

/ Automatic Gate; Recommendations needed #20  
We have had a mighty mule for 5 years now, overall works but some parts feel flimsy or don't work well? Overall rather cheaply made.
Example, the keypad crapped out after 2 years, I would gladly pay for heavy duty keypad with metal buttons but they only offer plastic ones.
Also, the wired sensor to open the gate as you approach from the inside (added 6 months ago) does not respondin the morning or in the rain, but works during the day.
I have added a deep cycle boat battery, the included motorcycle battery does not last long.

If I would do it again, I would search for another brand of gate opener and only use MM if othing else is available!

Re. The spring clip to attach the arm to the gate bracket, you can get a padlock from MM for $15 that will take carw of it.
Also, once you have a gate and someone actually pries it open, in most states that constitutes an escalation over simply driven into a driveway or loweering a chain.
We feel theclosed gate adds a great deal of visial deterance!