automatic pet water bowl

/ automatic pet water bowl #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all i have three dogs. In the summer they only want to come in to drink a ton of water and then are back outside. (they have a fenced in area to run and play). i want to make an automatic dog waterer.
there are many different designs, most use a float valve which they will eat, i can see that being a bad thing now.
but there is one out there that uses a
pressure sensitive diaphram fill valve. After googling that i found its a valve thats also used in sump pumps. I want to add one to a bucket or gavlanized conatiner and then connect it to the house with a stainless steel hose. once again to prevent it from being chewed to pieces. (they have eaten chairs, tables umbrellas, they are just chewy dogs.
1. anyone know where to buy a pressure sensitive diaphram fill valve.
2. what size would i need to allow the attachment of a stainless steel hose.
Appreciate it. I figured some of you might have similar items for different barn animals.
Thanks,
Forgeblast

/ automatic pet water bowl #2  
I would think it'd be fairly easy to adapt a full valve from a toilet.The kind that has the float riding in the tube not on an arm.Put that inside a length of PVC pipe and screw it to the wall of the bucket.Cap the pipe and drill a small hole to vent air.

/ automatic pet water bowl #3  
   / automatic pet water bowl #5  
They make pressure sensitive valves without floats for toilets. I have bought and used them. Work just fine. Under $10 if I remember right. I have also seen farmers use them on automatic waterers for cows. I would think you could adapt it to a bowl or bucket for your dogs also.

Dan

/ automatic pet water bowl #6  
forgeblast said:
Hi all i have three dogs. In the summer they only want to come in to drink a ton of water and then are back outside. (they have a fenced in area to run and play). i want to make an automatic dog waterer.
there are many different designs, most use a float valve which they will eat, i can see that being a bad thing now.
but there is one out there that uses a
pressure sensitive diaphram fill valve. After googling that i found its a valve thats also used in sump pumps. I want to add one to a bucket or gavlanized conatiner and then connect it to the house with a stainless steel hose. once again to prevent it from being chewed to pieces. (they have eaten chairs, tables umbrellas, they are just chewy dogs.
1. anyone know where to buy a pressure sensitive diaphram fill valve.
2. what size would i need to allow the attachment of a stainless steel hose.
Appreciate it. I figured some of you might have similar items for different barn animals.
Thanks,
Forgeblast

You can probably come up with the simple design same as water level tool. Let's say, if you had two containers that are piped together ( let's say a 3/4" pipe that connect the bottoms or side of two 5 gallon buckets). Any level you maintain in one bucket then the adjoining bucket water level will be the same provided they are both vented to atmosphere. Keep your float and fill mechanism inside the garage or somewhere safe where the pooch can not get to..he'll be drinking out of bucket with water only and can not mess the sensitive mechanism next door. Just an Idea:)

/ automatic pet water bowl #7  
   / automatic pet water bowl
Thank for the quick replys! I think i may go with the Aluminum Float Valve, since i have the bucket and stainless steel hoses. The Aluminum Float Valve
looks like something they would not chew on, but i have seen them chew cans before. Thanks all for the help.
Forgeblast