Aux PTO crossover valve

/ Aux PTO crossover valve #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I would like to be able to connect and disconnect the hydraulic connectors on the aux PTO on my 422 without shutting off the engine. I now do it by moving the handle up or down a little, looking for the hoses to move a little and then trying to connect/disconnect. This works most of the time. I have thought about putting a valve to tie the two connections together. This would release the pressure and allow me to proceed. I would appreciate thoughts on this. I suspect there might be some safety issues with this. Of course there might be the same issues with my present method.

Thanks in advance.

/ Aux PTO crossover valve #2  
I would like to be able to connect and disconnect the hydraulic connectors on the aux PTO on my 422 without shutting off the engine. I now do it by moving the handle up or down a little, looking for the hoses to move a little and then trying to connect/disconnect. This works most of the time. I have thought about putting a valve to tie the two connections together. This would release the pressure and allow me to proceed. I would appreciate thoughts on this. I suspect there might be some safety issues with this. Of course there might be the same issues with my present method.

Thanks in advance.

Bob. If you install the flat face couplers, you can disconnect/disconnect with some pressure. A manual shut off valves in-line might also work. You could also connect a cross feed valve between the two aux hose. With the engine running, lever in neutral, open the valve and relieve the pressure. You are probably only concerned with the pressure on the lock hose. Evidently you have enough leakage to keep everything tight. If you have the right connectors, you can connect the two lines together, and the implements hoses together.

/ Aux PTO crossover valve
Bob. If you install the flat face couplers, you can disconnect/disconnect with some pressure. A manual shut off valves in-line might also work. You could also connect a cross feed valve between the two aux hose. With the engine running, lever in neutral, open the valve and relieve the pressure. You are probably only concerned with the pressure on the lock hose. Evidently you have enough leakage to keep everything tight. If you have the right connectors, you can connect the two lines together, and the implements hoses together.

JJ, thanks for the reply. It seems like the cheapest solution is the cross feed valve (that's what I was trying to describe, but perhaps my wording was not the best). Do you see any safety issues with this?

If I always tried to lock it prior to use, then a vent valve on the locking hose, would work. This would actually be cheaper and simpler, but you would have to be very careful where is was vented to. Is there a safe vent fitting? Obviously going down would be better than up, but it might still create a hazard. Something is needed to relieve that pressure without an eye or skin hazard from the vented oil, should the control valve not be fully closed.

/ Aux PTO crossover valve #4  
Bob, On my 1445, I have a hyd case drain QD on the front for those motors that use case drains, and it does go back to tank. I don't see why you could not install one and run it back to tank or tap into a hose going back to tank. The output of the PTO valve goes back to tank, perhaps you could tap into that. You could also vent into a holding tank, and when full, dump it into the reservoir.

Good idea. A small tank with a vent would relieve pressure very nicely. It would probably take a long time to fill.

/ Aux PTO crossover valve #6  
Dear Bob,

The case drain vents back to the main hydraulic tank. I don't think that the wheel motors for the 425 have them. BUT, the downstream port of the valve bank drains back to the tank as well. Or you could just run another hose, and tee it in at the tank.

If it isn't under much pressure, I would go with the flat face couplers.

All the best,

Peter

Good idea. A small tank with a vent would relieve pressure very nicely. It would probably take a long time to fill.

/ Aux PTO crossover valve #8  
Hey Bob,
Why don't you want to shut the engine off? Just curious.

Adding valves and Ts and tanks seems like a lot of money and expense for something you already have... the key switch. :)

I always shut the engine off before I touch any hydraulic fitting.

NASD: Hydraulic Systems Safety.

Snow, after reading the above article, I have decided to shutoff the engine before switching couplings. Too much danger involved to do otherwise.

My thanks to everyone for their comments. I was not aware of all the possible safety hazards.

Hey Bob,
Why don't you want to shut the engine off? Just curious.

Adding valves and Ts and tanks seems like a lot of money and expense for something you already have... the key switch. :)

Moss, I used to have a 69 Rambler and the starter was notoriously critical. When the starter was about 5 years old, it would not spin when the engine was hot. It was also very touchy about battery condition and connection conditions. I take that old experience too seriously and don't like to shut off a running engine and then try a restart soon. I guess I need to get over that Rambler.