Avalanche

/ Avalanche #1  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
This morning the sun is hitting the very tops of our Ponderosa pines around here. The 4" or so of snow, on the upper limbs, will cascade down and gather greater and greater amounts as it finally hits the ground.

My fuzzy brown Cocker Spaniel was checking out the yard when a very close pine let go. He jumped straight up about two feet and was a brown streak. Right up on the porch, beside me. I was laughing as he was giving me the evil eye. He did go back out and check it all out. So he wasn't really overly scared.

It's quite a scene - watching the pines shed all their snow.

Last edited:
   / Avalanche #2  
We usually get 2-4 inches on the fir trees, but this last week's snow (Total about 8-10 inches) didn't do it. There was not much more than 1/2 inch on the trees. No avalanches. Probably a combination of temperature and high wind.

Bruce

/ Avalanche #3  
Our trees and entire hillsides do that here oosik. Do keep Brownie protected from all those scary things. :laughing:

/ Avalanche
Good Morning, Arlyn. We just have the "tree avalanches" here. Too flat for the real thing right here. It was pretty cold this morning... +8F ... but the temps are now up to +30F and increasing. It looks like we will be loosing our snow again. Ha, ha - you plow and we sweat. Have a great day.

/ Avalanche #5  
Learned why Yankee put hood up on coat de day I had same experience as pup.
Didn't jump or run tho.
Had a few things to say about avalanche and people laughin at (removed). None fit in dis post.

Whole lot of fun gettin snow from under shirt too.

/ Avalanche #6  
We have 50+ tall pines along our driveway and when the snow clumps start to fall gets one attention real quick :eek: more so when plowing with tractor or pickup.

/ Avalanche
My mile long driveway is lined with pines on both sides. Usually, this time of year or later we can get wet, heavy snows. There is nothing quite so chilling as a tall pine dumping its full load on you as you blade bye. One of the main reason I finally got a canopy.

/ Avalanche #8  
Not an avalanche, but I was clearing the neighbor's drive last week. I backed into his pine tree and was immediatley covered in snow. Luckily is was dark and they didn't catch it on camera. I just laughed and kept plowing.

Doug in SW IA

/ Avalanche
I've had that same thing happen so MANY times - dougtrr2. Not backing into a tree - just motoring down the driveway - plowing snow. Soooo ....... I went from a standard jacket and baseball cap to a down filled jacket with hood to a canopy on the tractor.

I NEVER ONCE laughed when a ton of wet snow went down the inside back of my jacket. Sure was quick to pull my shirt loose and dump a load though. Still makes me shiver - the thought of ice water running down the crack of my a**.

/ Avalanche #10  
I've always liked working in those conditions, especially doing boundary maintenance through snow covered fir thickets. Every time that you hit a tree a fresh cavalcade of snow comes down on you. That's when I would pack 5 pair of gloves in plastic bags. When I got my first and only set of gortex rain gear I thought I was in heaven; no more working wet! My delusions were smashed before I was 10 minutes from the truck, I may as well have been wearing a cotton sweat suit. By lunchtime I was so wet and cold that I snowshoed back to the truck to warm up and get into dry wool clothing.