B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete

/ B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete #1  

dirt ditch

Veteran Member
Tractor
Last edited:
   / B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete #2  
Re: B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete

Some of you may like a good restoration story. Later this year, Doc will be one of only two restored B-29s in flying condition. Doc's Friends had the B-29's rollout and engine start test last week.

http://www.b-29doc.com/

Gallery | B-29 Doc ? Restoring History

http://www.b-29doc.com/2015/09/15/Doc's Friends hold rollout for B-29 known as doc

https://www.flickr.com/photos/b29doc/

https://www.youtube.com/user/DocsFriends

What a beautiful war bird. I always thought the B-29 with its pressurized cabin was so much more sophisticated and graceful than the other bombers of that era.

/ B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete #3  
Re: B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete

A beautiful aircraft, most likely in better than new condition. I can't imagine the hours that went into the project. Hopefully it won't meet its fate like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4YBwjQTds

/ B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete

I saw that Nova documentary about the B-29 "Kee Bird" when it first aired in 1996. It was a sad end to that plane. "Doc" did OK with it's engine start.

https://www.youtube.com - B-29 Doc Engine Start & Testing (full video)

The sound of those radial engines is so cool. It must have really been something to hear several hundred of these planes roaring at the same time.

/ B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete #5  

Thanks for posting. I am a fan of the old WWII warbirds, and it's an emotional experience for me. I am very happy they are restoring these old birds. There are a few more left, including one gate guard here at Tinker AFB, "Tinker's Heritage". I also have an acquaintance involved in the restoration of an A-26 at the Guthrie airport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Boeing_B-29_Superfortresses

Dream of making World War II era plane fly in Oklahoma unites aviation fans | News OK

/ B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete #6  

Just went to the Andrews/joint AFB air show yesterday, the F22 was awsome along with the Thunderbirds but the best was two B25's along with a few flying P51' and a F4U. Nothing like the sound of a rolls 12 cylinder merlin at low level full throtle. A group flying 6 T28's in Navy/Marine paint were awsome also. Made me proud to be a retired airdale Navy Chief. Just disapointed the Navy wasn't represented except for one lone H60 from Norfolk. Suprised with so many budget cuts that air shows still exist?

mark

/ B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete #7  

Just went to the Andrews/joint AFB air show yesterday, the F22 was awsome along with the Thunderbirds but the best was two B25's along with a few flying P51' and a F4U.
Nothing like the sound of a rolls 12 cylinder merlin at low level full throtle.
A group flying 6 T28's in Navy/Marine paint were awsome also. Made me proud to be a retired airdale Navy Chief. Just disapointed the Navy wasn't represented except for one lone H60 from Norfolk. Suprised with so many budget cuts that air shows still exist?

mark

Amen! We used to have a P-51 one come over the house occasionally on a nice Sunday afternoon; there's nothing like that Merlin and it's authoritative growl! Whenever I heard it, I was out the door to see if I could spot it. I was at a car show in Guthrie one year, and heard that sound. I looked around, and sure enough, it was a P-51 coming in at the local airport. Gives me chills! Would love to take a ride in one.

/ B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete #8  

Amen! We used to have a P-51 one come over the house occasionally on a nice Sunday afternoon; there's nothing like that Merlin and it's authoritative growl! Whenever I heard it, I was out the door to see if I could spot it. I was at a car show in Guthrie one year, and heard that sound. I looked around, and sure enough, it was a P-51 coming in at the local airport. Gives me chills! Would love to take a ride in one.

P-51 - prettiest plane of the war! And it was a dog until the engine change and bubble canopy.,

Harry K

/ B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete #9  

About 20 years ago, for the 50 year VJ over Japan, we flew about 12 WW2 aircraft off the USS Carl Vinson after taking them from then NAS Alameda to Hawaii. To be able to make the trip and fly off the flight deck (no catapults), deck launch only, they had to gain flight off a painted flight deck on the NAS Alameda runway. Very cool to watch them deck launch, almost slow motion, then we catapulted two F/A-18. From talking to the owners/pilots flying those old war birds, the biggest problem is keeping them flying with only 100 octane avgas. The engines were designed to burn 130 octane which isn't aviable anymore. I was really surprised the US Navy took them aboard with full tanks of avgas. A diaster had their been a fire aboard the carrier. Yes, we craned the aircraft aboard.

mark

/ B-29 Superfortress "Doc" 15 year restoration to flying condition almost complete #10  

Oh, man, I will always remember the sound of a P51 idling on the runway, and then the run up and take off as he climbed into the sky, It just made your insides shake. Really a memorable moment. Can you imagine being a young pilot assigned to one of those "back in the day"? Yes quite a machine...:thumbsup: