B 6000 4X4 attachements

/ B 6000 4X4 attachements
The steering gearbox does not share fluid with the transmission, and it's actually not even bolted to the transmission. The large metal piece under the steering gearbox is mostly just an empty metal box other than the input shaft passing through the middle of it, and the 4wd driveshaft dropping down out of it. It is basically the frame in that area of the tractor, but has no fluid in it and is actually open to the air on the bottom if you were to get under and look up at it.
Now that it's warmed up a bit. I had the opprtunity to remove the steering wheel, and cobble a locking means to stop the wheel from spinning on the shaft under the centre nut. There is no spline on this shaft, but under the hub there are some flutes. I ended up cutting a piece of 11/2 " pipe and welding it to the backside of the steering wheel flange. I cut some natching grooves into the piece of pipe. Now steering wheel is solidly anchored and cannot turn. Now I have a more secure means of turning with the steeeing wheel. Dunno what means it had before.

/ B 6000 4X4 attachements #12  
I did not have these pictures last time, but i just swapped the steering gearboxes between two tractors and have pics. This is what the stuff is supposed to look like.
F894276D-3F01-42D1-A7BE-BCE807482FA0.jpeg

8B7E81E6-737D-456F-8D99-B3BCE9C3CDD2.jpeg

I had already covered the splines in anti-seize there, but they are still visible.

Based on your description i wonder if you didn't accidentally rip the steering wheel off its hub instead of separating the actual hub from the shaft? There are definitely splines there.

I did not have these pictures last time, but i just swapped the steering gearboxes between two tractors and have pics. This is what the stuff is supposed to look like.
View attachment 738402
View attachment 738403
I had already covered the splines in anti-seize there, but they are still visible.

Based on your description i wonder if you didn't accidentally rip the steering wheel off its hub instead of separating the actual hub from the shaft? There are definitely splines there.
I hear ya there. Well on mine there doesn't seem to be any splines (unless the morons before me did something), I'll take a pick and try n send it ans what I did to fabricate a locking mechanism.Maybe my steering wheel isn't even the one for it, but it works gooder now.

I hear ya there. Well on mine there doesn't seem to be any splines (unless the morons before me did something), I'll take a pick and try n send it ans what I did to fabricate a locking mechanism.Maybe my steering wheel isn't even the one for it, but it works gooder now.

I hear ya there. Well on mine there doesn't seem to be any splines (unless the morons before me did something), I'll take a pick and try n send it ans what I did to fabricate a locking mechanism.Maybe my steering wheel isn't even the one for it, but it works gooder now. Geez it's so frustrating tryin to get pics from my phone to the computer.

what's your email it might be a bit easier to send pics that way.
Argh!!!

I hear ya there. Well on mine there doesn't seem to be any splines (unless the morons before me did something), I'll take a pick and try n send it ans what I did to fabricate a locking mechanism.Maybe my steering wheel isn't even the one for it, but it works gooder now. I see yours has that sort of washer below the splines if i can get my pics to you you'll see the same thing below this weird hub that's on mine. Maybe somebody put a type of hub over the original splines to adapt a different steering wheel. But I see in mypics that sort of washer/bushing below the splines on yours.

View attachment 738402
View attachment 738403

No, i didn't do anything rough that would have broken anything but the previous owner/s probably did n then attempted to cobble it to work but not very well.