B21 fuel injection pump leaking, see pic, how to fix?

/ B21 fuel injection pump leaking, see pic, how to fix? #1  

LazyBoy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I have a slow drip and it looks like a leak where the Green arrow is pointing, best fix for this is? Thanks in advance.

Kubota Leak.jpg

/ B21 fuel injection pump leaking, see pic, how to fix? #2  
I have a slow drip and it looks like a leak where the Green arrow is pointing, best fix for this is? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 748003

Is it leaking oil or fuel?

The easiest is to check that the mounting bolts are torqued to the proper setting. If they are and it is still leaking then you may have to remove the pump and clean or possibly replace the shims. You have to get the same ones exactly or it will change the timing of the pump. Depending on how bad it is leaking it might be best to not remove unless you really have to.

/ B21 fuel injection pump leaking, see pic, how to fix? #3  
Is not real common for it to leak there.. normally they leak FUEL under the barrel flanges..(star headed bolt)
If it is oil, simply tighten the hold down screws..
Hope it works out for you..

/ B21 fuel injection pump leaking, see pic, how to fix?
Is it leaking oil or fuel?

The easiest is to check that the mounting bolts are torqued to the proper setting. If they are and it is still leaking then you may have to remove the pump and clean or possibly replace the shims. You have to get the same ones exactly or it will change the timing of the pump. Depending on how bad it is leaking it might be best to not remove unless you really have to.
It's leaking fuel, about 1 drop every 5-10 sec.
I'm still using the tractor, I just want to know how to fix it when I get time.
So the shims serve as gaskets too?

Is not real common for it to leak there.. normally they leak FUEL under the barrel flanges..(star headed bolt)
If it is oil, simply tighten the hold down screws..
Hope it works out for you..
I've cleaned and watched it start leaking twice, and I see no fuel above the injector body. So I just assume it's leaking at the shim gasket area. Guess I need to check how tight the screws are first.

/ B21 fuel injection pump leaking, see pic, how to fix? #6  
I've cleaned and watched it start leaking twice, and I see no fuel above the injector body. So I just assume it's leaking at the shim gasket area. Guess I need to check how tight the screws are first.

If it is leaking fuel then the issues is likely higher up. Very unlikely to have fuel leaking from the shim area because that is lubricated with oil. Like thepumpguy said it is probably coming from under the barrel flanges. There are O rings in there that could be leaking. Or the high pressure lines exiting the pump that go to the injectors. I would first off make sure that everything is tight.

/ B21 fuel injection pump leaking, see pic, how to fix? #7  
Dry it good w brake cleaner and compressed air.. then sprinkle the area w baby/talcum powder..
Now start the engine.. the trail will be left in the powder.. easy peezy..

Dry it good w brake cleaner and compressed air.. then sprinkle the area w baby/talcum powder..
Now start the engine.. the trail will be left in the powder.. easy peezy..

Thanks, I' give that a try.

Thanks, I' give that a try.
It's started leaking a LOT more now, I didn't have any powder so I tossed some baking soda on it and saw this. I checked the fittings with a wrench and they are tight.
kubota leak 2.jpg

/ B21 fuel injection pump leaking, see pic, how to fix? #10  
U can take the line off BUT.. use the 2 wrench method..
Hold the pump “nut” and loosen the line..
Then u can sandpaper the end of the line..
Blow it off real good and reinstall.