B21 HST pedal linkage

/ B21 HST pedal linkage #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
2006 B21, bought used. Getting around to addressing the funkiness of the FWD/REV (aka Speed control) pedal. According the the WSM pictures, the previous owner must have removed a part (after it broke?) and added a shade tree spring setup.

It DOES work, but not "great" as it sometimes does not return to "neutral" and needs a toe tap. Which sometimes causes a lurch into reverse for a moment. Not something I like.

The "damper" (part 180 in the red square) is missing entirely. No springs at all are shown.

It's a $100 or so for the part, I guess I would go for it, but need to be sure what I'm doing. I only have what is on the machine and the WSM illustrations to go by, which don't really help give me a clear picture.

Anyone with a B21 that can take some pictures of their linkage from various angles and post them? Do you have any large springs there at all?

Attachments

• damper.png
    damper.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 135
   / B21 HST pedal linkage #2  
Seems there are very few of these b21s around or are ever broke down! I am new to my b21 and don't know my way around it very well. I bought a cheezy manual for it but, yes mine is a bit vague.

/ B21 HST pedal linkage #3  
I can take some pics tonight of that area - it's in the barn but I'll try to get the focus on the P/N 180 and the general area/mechanicals.

As you know this is under the floorboard so will get what I can. I have had mine since new, stored inside, and grease that fitting too (there is a fitting under there).

Try lubing with PB Blaster and get it working freely is the first step.

/ B21 HST pedal linkage #4  
OK Got some Pics and Pic # 7 is the PN 180 is a single gas pressure cylinder I presume to retract or center the pedal.

Attachments

• B21 Pedal 7.jpg
    B21 Pedal 7.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 88
  • B21 Pedal 6.jpg
    B21 Pedal 6.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 90
  • B21 Pedal 5.jpg
    B21 Pedal 5.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 92
  • B21 Pedal Cyl 4.jpg
    B21 Pedal Cyl 4.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 88
  • B21 Pedal 3.jpg
    B21 Pedal 3.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 88
  • B21 Pedal 2.jpg
    B21 Pedal 2.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 86
  • B21 Pedal 1.jpg
    B21 Pedal 1.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 91
   / B21 HST pedal linkage
OK Got some Pics and Pic # 7 is the PN 180 is a single gas pressure cylinder I presume to retract or center the pedal.

OK thanks. It took me a few minutes to orient my brain, such as it remains, but have a better idea now what I might be facing.

Thanks much for your efforts.

/ B21 HST pedal linkage #6  
Joe - NP - It's hard to get pics up under there -the cylinder is the centering/return as I see the mechanics of this - there is a lot of linkage (brakes) in the way and if you need some more pics of specific areas, I can try and get some in the day outside this weekend.

/ B21 HST pedal linkage
Joe - NP - It's hard to get pics up under thedfre -the cylinder is the centering/return as I see the mechanics of this - there is a lot of linkage (brakes) in the way and if you need some more pics of specific areas, I can try and get some in the day outside this weekend.

Not much room under there for sure. That should be enough to get me going.

Not sure if the damper is to slow return to neutral if one lets off the pedal abruptly to act as a resistance to sudden changes in pedal position. Both?

The price of the damper is now $134.xx which gives me pause. Given that my EA York rake came in last month and I've not even hooked it up yet, says I've reached the "too many tasks" level, so I may not get to it for a while anyway.

/ B21 HST pedal linkage #8  
Joe,

It works in both F>R to return to neutral position. As soon as I leave off on the F pedal, it returns to neutral as it should. Never really had to mess with it other than lubing the mechanism.

As far as the york rake, I had one for over a year (borrowed) to reclaim 2 acres of roots and rocks, and they work great to get up the debris, but to grade and level dirt, I found the tractor tires compact too much (vs a dozer) when creating a lawn.