B21 Instrument Panel...

/ B21 Instrument Panel... #1  

USSZulu

Tractor
Kabota B21 BLT
Hey everyone!

I am in the process of restoring a 1998 B21 Kabota tractor. One of the things that I need to do is remove the instrument panel to correct an issue with the oil pressure warning light. I was able to remove the tach. cable, however the two electrical connectors attached to the instument panel will not release from the panel. There is a clip on either side of the connector that I was able to disengage (or at least I think is in an disengage position). There does not appear to be any rust or anything that should be freezing the connectors onto the board. I am afraid that if I apply any more force on the connectors I may break the instrument board itself. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

/ B21 Instrument Panel... #2  
I have a B21, but must confess that I have not gotten behind the instrument panel. I have taken apart many electrical connections though and my guess is that if you have released the clips, it's possible that the terminals are "frozen" to the jack. If you're reasonably confident that the clips are not holding the jack in place, I would try to carefully wiggle the jack to see if I could loosen it up and pull it off... I have used a screwdriver to pry with but I would try to wiggle it first, be careful though...

/ B21 Instrument Panel...
Thanks for the reply!

This B21 needs some work. It apparently sat outside for some time, and when several of the start interlocks failed, the previous owner decided to bypass the starting circuit all together and start the tractor by shorting the starter to the solenoid! So I have to replace the starting relay (which was still full of water when I pulled it!) and the interlock switch for the clutch (among other mechanical and electrical things).

Anyways despite all of the rust, the connections on the panel look very clean. I attempted to wiggle the connector without success. I also attempted to lightly pry on the connector with a screw driver, but was unable to free it and in fact was starting to warp the board on the instrument panel!

I guess I am asking if I am actually trying to release these connectors right and I am not missing anything, because I cant believe that these things are supposed to be this difficult to remove.

I have a B21, but must confess that I have not gotten behind the instrument panel. I have taken apart many electrical connections though and my guess is that if you have released the clips, it's possible that the terminals are "frozen" to the jack. If you're reasonably confident that the clips are not holding the jack in place, I would try to carefully wiggle the jack to see if I could loosen it up and pull it off... I have used a screwdriver to pry with but I would try to wiggle it first, be careful though...

/ B21 Instrument Panel... #4  
Sorry that I'm not more helpful. My gut feeling is that if you've released the tabs holding the connectors in place, then the jack is being held in place by "time". One way to think of it is this; when the machine was built it was put together one piece at a time, so there has to be a way to take it apart... You just have to figure out the way to do it.

/ B21 Instrument Panel... #5  
I guess I am asking if I am actually trying to release these connectors right and I am not missing anything, because I cant believe that these things are supposed to be this difficult to remove.

I do not think the latches are being completely released. These connectors
ARE easy to detach from the circuit board if the latches are fully retracted.
Don't break it! I had no trouble with mine. I looked through my library of
photos and I do not have any of the back of the panel.

Thank you for at least trying! I agree it should be removable, but I maybe am not doing it properly. See below reply.

Sorry that I'm not more helpful. My gut feeling is that if you've released the tabs holding the connectors in place, then the jack is being held in place by "time". One way to think of it is this; when the machine was built it was put together one piece at a time, so there has to be a way to take it apart... You just have to figure out the way to do it.

Well I have pushed them down to their full downward travel. So I am not entirely sure what else I can do with them to get them to release. I am going to try to get some pictures of them and maybe that will help. And I also will try removing them again. Expect further information later! Thank you!

I do not think the latches are being completely released. These connectors
ARE easy to detach from the circuit board if the latches are fully retracted.
Don't break it! I had no trouble with mine. I looked through my library of
photos and I do not have any of the back of the panel.

EDIT: Here is a picture of one of the connectors. As you can see, what I believe to be the latching devices on both the left and right side of the connector are in a down position. Also, I cannot see any rust anywhere on the board or on the connector itself. Should this be what it looks like?

B21PanelConnector.jpg

Last edited:
   / B21 Instrument Panel... #7  
Here is a picture of one of the connectors. As you can see, what I believe to be the latching devices on both the left and right side of the connector are in a down position. Also, I cannot see any rust anywhere on the board or on the connector itself. Should this be what it looks like?

Honestly, I do not remember exactly what it looked like. I DO remember
that I had no trouble completely disassembling my panel. I even bought
a new clear lens for it....it was almost reasonably priced. It would have
been much more memorable if I had experienced any trouble. Sorry I can
not be of more help. (You do not want to have to buy the whole panel
new, as it is hundreds of $.)

My unit sat outside partially disassembled for a few months before I
bought it that way. That was enough to dampen my starter relay, too.

Well at least I know the connectors are supposed to come off. I just dont know how lol. Thanks for the reply tho! :) And the starter relay I had on this thing was FULL of water lol. It was upside down. *shrugs* lol

Anyone else?

Honestly, I do not remember exactly what it looked like. I DO remember
that I had no trouble completely disassembling my panel. I even bought
a new clear lens for it....it was almost reasonably priced. It would have
been much more memorable if I had experienced any trouble. Sorry I can
not be of more help. (You do not want to have to buy the whole panel
new, as it is hundreds of $.)

My unit sat outside partially disassembled for a few months before I
bought it that way. That was enough to dampen my starter relay, too.

/ B21 Instrument Panel... #9  
This is Pitbull 1, and I have a Kubota B20 that sat outside for at least 5 years and the dash instruments are shot. Can anyone tell me as to the replacement cost for the panel instruments?