Mowing B21 Mower?

/ B21 Mower? #1  

MarkV

Tractor
1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39
I have a B21 TLB and need to get a rotary mower. For those of you that are unfamiliar with the B21 it is Kubota's smallest heavy-duty tractor/loader/backhoe seen more in commercial applications. It is 21 hp with a heavier front axle, stronger hydraulics and a massive sub-frame to accommodate the stronger loader and backhoe than other models in this horse power range. The trade off is that the loader does not remove and the PTO hp is only 13.5 hp.

We are at a new property and I need a rotary mower for field grass mostly. A 48" mower is the likely choice but it does not cover the width of the rear tires. Do you think I can go with a 54" mower that will almost cover the rear foot print? I understand that it will not do heavy clearing well.

MarkV

/ B21 Mower? #2  
GO with the larger mower. Will it cut more, you have the flexibility to raise it to nearly any height to mow on the three point hitch.

/ B21 Mower? #3  
Mark

I run a 48" woods on my TC18 (14.5 PTO HP). My dealer recommended a 42" model. I've used it on grass & light (1 - 1.5" brush). The brush mowing makes more noise, but the grass mowing takes more HP (engine lugs etc.). Going up the hills while cutting, I was using ever last bit of my 18 HP. I set the cruise control on max speed in low range (3-4 mph). The engine would lug 200-300 rpms going up the hills.

Based on my experience, I'd recommend the 4 footer. You can't trim real well with a rotary cutter anyway - the blades are inset a few inches from the sides of the deck as a safety feature (so you can't stick your foot under & get your toes removed)

Check out this thread for some pics Field mow'n in maine

/ B21 Mower?
Art, your experience is always valued. You don't see a whole lot of B21's being used for mowing. Have you had any clients using a wider mower successfully?

Hazmat, thanks for the information on your combination. I was looking for those that had lower PTO horsepower machines to see what their performance was like. You make a good point that a 48" mower does not cut 48". For the most part my mowing will be lighter than the fields you were cutting but I don't want to over work my tractor with a wider mower for as little as I have to cut.

MarkV

/ B21 Mower? #5  
<font color="blue">You make a good point that a 48" mower does not cut 48" </font>

Actually some do & some don't. I think the woods actually cuts 48, but is wider. The landpride is 48" wide, but actually cuts 44 etc. When you are shopping, look closely at the specs for "overall width" and "cutting width".

/ B21 Mower? #6  
I am suprised at the low PTO hp number. My B8200 is like a little brother to the B21. At 19hp engine, I have 16hp on the PTO