B2400, any good?

/ B2400, any good? #1  

njc110381

Tractor
Kubota B4200
Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a Kubota B2400HST for general mowing work, front end loader stuff and some light log hauling in the woods. I'd probably like to also run a small chipper and log splitter, as well as a saw bench.

Have we got many owners of this tractor here? I'd really appreciate your feedback please. I want to make sure I get the right machine. I used to have a B4200 but it was too small really. Good for light mowing but not long grass, also not so good for running the saw bench. At 12hp I guess that's no surprise?! I was always impressed at how well it could pull a trailer though. I'm thinking at double the weight and power, the 2400 should be a good step up?

/ B2400, any good? #2  
The B2400 should be great for what you describe. If you can find one in good shape and reasonable price. I have some B2150s (also 24hp but 4 cyl instead of 3.) I'd go with the 60" MMM unless you have tight space circumstances. May want to think about whether all the attachments of interest to you can be run off the PTO or do you need an hydraulic remote to manipulate some of them? There are several Kubota models in the 24hp range weighing 1500 to 2000 lbs , 800 to 900 Kg. I'd think most any of those models would be good for you so "good condition and reasonable price" are the deciding factors.

/ B2400, any good? #3  
I have a B1700D (gear drive)...it is an awesome machine...about the only difference I can tell between a 2400 and a 1700 is the amount of fuel they use...
FWIW...The B1700, B2100, and the B2400 are all covered in one operator and maintenance manual...

The one single thing that these three tractors lack is overall weight...bare bones they barely weight 1500#'s...a loader will bump it up to just over a ton...I have the big (fat) industrial rears that hold about 30 gallons of ballast each so that really helps a lot...

These are not huge machines but they will do what you ask if you're willing to take your time...buy properly sized attachments for your machine..

Good Luck...

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / B2400, any good? #4  
Plenty of capability for what you want. I've my eye on a B2300 for when to replace the JD 2025R. The 18.5 hp 4010 was plenty for me doing what you want to do.

/ B2400, any good? #5  
Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a Kubota B2400HST for general mowing work, front end loader stuff and some light log hauling in the woods. I'd probably like to also run a small chipper and log splitter, as well as a saw bench.

Have we got many owners of this tractor here? I'd really appreciate your feedback please. I want to make sure I get the right machine. I used to have a B4200 but it was too small really. Good for light mowing but not long grass, also not so good for running the saw bench. At 12hp I guess that's no surprise?! I was always impressed at how well it could pull a trailer though. I'm thinking at double the weight and power, the 2400 should be a good step up?
My son owns a B2410 Bi-Speed with FEL and BB. Great little tractor. Very nimble and stronger than one would expect. Mowing with the belly mower is a workout though but it will get the job done. I think it would run a small chipper just fine but remember - it's only 24hp.

He sadly loaned it out to a 'friend' that promptly blew the motor up. Lesson Learned: Don't loan out your tractor!

He has since had the entire motor rebuilt as well as a total restoration other than new paint. That project took about a year and $5K. Meantime he added a B2650 to his stable and will be selling the B2410 sometime in the future although he's in no rush.

In his opinion, what's better than a B-series tractor? Two B-series tractors :)

/ B2400, any good? #6  
That B2650 is an outstanding tractor from what I have seen. Do not own one, but if I were in the market that is where I'd go. I always viewed the Bi-speed (Bi-speed turn?) as extra unjustified complexity and trouble going somewhere to happen yet I've not heard a lot of complaints about them. They were only sold for a few years.

The B2410 is a 3cyl & does not have quite the oomph those older 4 cyl models seem to have. The chipper, properly sized, should work just fine.

Last edited:
   / B2400, any good?
Some reassuring info there, thanks guys.

I've been watching a few videos on Youtube and it looks like it'll probably cope with all I want to do with it. I may get a little Igland 2001 log winch to go on it, and a log grab for the front. There are a couple of guys doing similar stuff to what I plan to do with the smaller BX machines. They look useful but the ground clearance doesn't look so good.

Running the chipper may be a push, but I've seen a few 5" roller fed trailer models here in the UK that have 20hp Honda engines. I won't be doing anything big - much over 4" is good for firewood. I do wonder how it will get on with a hydraulic log splitter? I can do basic fabrication so I did wonder if making up a mount to fit a bigger pump to the belly mower pto could work?

The great thing about buying an older used machine is that if it doesn't work out I'll get most of my money back. If the older machine works out and pays well then it will earn the money for an upgrade. I prefer to pay with money I have in the bank, I don't like finance.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / B2400, any good?
I have some B2150s (also 24hp but 4 cyl instead of 3.)
Also worthy of note is the flow rate of the hydraulics. B2150 - 28lpm, B2400 - 22lpm. That may be the difference between the expense and hassle of a PTO pump or being able to run a small hydraulic log splitter from the tractor system.

/ B2400, any good? #9  
For the most part log splitters require pressure, not a heck of a lot of flow. That's why a little Briggs and Stratton runs a good sized log splitter.
;

/ B2400, any good?
For the most part log splitters require pressure, not a heck of a lot of flow. That's why a little Briggs and Stratton runs a good sized log splitter.
;
That is true. But if I can decrease the cycle rate of the ram that's no bad thing. A lot of the small engined splitters use a two stage pump - they deliver high volume at low pressure until that pressure needs to increase to do the work, then they deliver low volume at high pressure. There's nothing worse than a slow cycle rate.

The volume needed between the wedge hitting the log and the log breaking is tiny. The flow needed to complete the stroke and return it ready for the next log is equally important unless you have all day to get not a lot done. The splitter I have here shouldn't take a lot, it's only a ten ton ram. What the bore and stroke is I couldn't tell you, not without looking it up.