B2400 Rear end trouble

/ B2400 Rear end trouble #1  

Behrend II

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XG3140H
I just experienced a BIG problem. While moving snow with my back blade the rear end locked up momentarily and i heard a clunk. I then noticed hydraulic fluid pouring out rapidly. Upon inspection I notices about a 1 inch hole in the housing (near the drain plug) and ALL the fluid drained out.

The hole is from the inside out. I assume that a gear (or something) broke free and jammed against the housing and popped through. I know it's bad, but am wondering how bad. Anyone have any experience with this?

/ B2400 Rear end trouble #2  
Im assuming this is a hydro tractor and the drain plug you speak of is the one under the mid pto? There are also drain plugs on each side of the rear axel.
I recently split my B2400 for a hydro-pump repair and saw some of the inside gears. This is not good.
Do not run the tractor at all with the fluid drained out.Dont even turn it over cause you will burn up the hydro pump in a matter of seconds
I can look at my parts manual later and see what it could be. This has me wondering.:confused:

/ B2400 Rear end trouble #3  
Where you working with the diff lock?

/ B2400 Rear end trouble #4  
I had a friend in high school whose Dad would always joke that the "check engine" light never did you any good and that you should keep running it until something broke THEN you would know what was wrong.

This is not one of those times!

/ B2400 Rear end trouble #5  
Checked out my B2400 parts manual, did this occur in the center section of the rear axle housing or the right or left side where the plugs are?
For what I can see, an object from the area above the right or left axle housing came loose or broke off, say the brakes, and fell into the main drive gears attached to the wheel axles (L or R side) ,got jammed between the gear and the bottom of the axle housing, locking the rear-end, then enough forward force drove it through the housing.
Where there any parts on the ground?
Just my theory.

/ B2400 Rear end trouble
I'll have to take a closer look at it in the daylight tomorrow, but I think it's on the right side next to where the draw-bar inserts. From back to front, it's about 6 inches in front of the female draw-bar receptacle.

/ B2400 Rear end trouble
I wasn't using the diff. lock at that moment, but have used it recently. The clunk I heard prior to it happening sounded kind of like the sound of the diff. unexpectedly disengaging or engaging.

/ B2400 Rear end trouble
Sorry, yes it is a hydro and I think I mistakenly thought the bolt head from the axle housing was a drain plug.

/ B2400 Rear end trouble #9  
WOW, this sounds expensive.