B2400 Rebuild Advice?

/ B2400 Rebuild Advice? #1  

Behrend II

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XG3140H
Hi,

I'm thinking of going starting to go through my B2400 a little at a time. I have a parts manual and also have a service manual ordered.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but will definitely need some guidance. I'm looking for resources on things like instructions on performing a compression test, testing the head gasket, etc.

If any of you can point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

/ B2400 Rebuild Advice? #2  
Why not also tell us what's wrong with your tractor.
To perform a compression test,a diesel compression tester will be required.
S & G Tool Aid has one and two different Kubota adapters are available.
The adapters go in after the glow plugs are removed.
The S&G unit is one of the more reasonably priced ones.
Good Luck!

/ B2400 Rebuild Advice? #3  
Are we talking a high hours machine in need of overhaul or are you simply wanting to thoroughly give your tractor a good inspection. As number two asks...are there specific problems that need to be addressed? If not......I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".....A good place to start is acquiring the WSM you have on order.

/ B2400 Rebuild Advice?
Are we talking a high hours machine in need of overhaul or are you simply wanting to thoroughly give your tractor a good inspection. As number two asks...are there specific problems that need to be addressed? If not......I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".....A good place to start is acquiring the WSM you have on order.

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure, it send to have a few issues. It overheats really easily when mowing heavy grass with the belly mower. I've replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator several times. It inevitably overheats (very suddenly) and behind to boil and steam. I stop it, let it cool, and then replace the coolant and stray the process over again.

I always keep the screen and air filter blown out. It never comes close to overheating in the winter...regardless of how hard I'm pushing it. It is a very hard starter in the winter though and once it starts it idles up and down for quite a while. I often have to start it several times before it will idle consistently. After it's finally idling well it still loses power for (same pattern as when it idles up and down). Eventually it warms up and runs fine (during the winter).

I'm wondering about the head gasket, glow plugs and engine compression? Like I said...I'm by no means a mechanic, but can usually figure things out after I waste a lot of time and money ;)

Thoughts?

/ B2400 Rebuild Advice?
One more thing...about 800 hours (although a hard 800).

/ B2400 Rebuild Advice? #6  
Did you flush the outside of the radiator?

/ B2400 Rebuild Advice?
I've sprayed it off with a hose, but nothing more.

/ B2400 Rebuild Advice?
Why not also tell us what's wrong with your tractor.
To perform a compression test,a diesel compression tester will be required.
S & G Tool Aid has one and two different Kubota adapters are available.
The adapters go in after the glow plugs are removed.
The S&G unit is one of the more reasonably priced ones.
Good Luck!
I took a look at the S & G website...I don't see ordering info or pricing anywhere?

/ B2400 Rebuild Advice? #9  
S & G products can be ordered through any decent auto parts store,or even a mobile tool dealer like Mac or Snap-on.
There are many other tester brands available that appear similar;I chose to mention S&G as I know
they offer the Kubota adapters.
S&G 34700 gets you the basic guage with no adapters.#35500 is the M8 x 1.00 glow plug adapter.#35550 is the M10 x 1.25 adapter.
I'm not sure which thread your glow plugs are.
Should you choose to shop online,I see toolsource.com lists the above items and all could be had for less than $100.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!

/ B2400 Rebuild Advice? #10  
Are you sure the heating issue isn't caused by the water pump or cooling fan?