B2782 Blower Reduction Gear Cover Mod.

/ B2782 Blower Reduction Gear Cover Mod. #1  

Dyer retired

Gold Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota BX1800 and 2010 B3030
This is overkill and no one else will find it necessary, but here goes. I took my new B2782 reduction gear cover off last week to oil the chain, but mostly to check the set screws, nuts, and bolts for tightness. When I first had my old BX2750 I opened the back up after a couple of uses and found just about everything loose, so I wanted to make sure those issues didn't exist on the new rig. The cover is held in place by two bolts, one easily accessible from the top gear box support frame, but the bottom bolt has to be accessed from underneath the quick attach frame, so a little crawling is needed and I can't really get a very good look up underneath, but it wouldn't matter anyway. The cover piece looks like it was punched with an awl and then the metal tapped for the bolt thread...if that makes any sense? There isn't much there and just a little too much wrench would strip the threads. I know it doesn't require much to hold the cover in place, but I don't like the bolts loosening up either, so I tend to tighten them fairly well.

The chain got oiled and and everything else was tight inside, so I was happy about that, but when I went to put the cover back in place...I spent about 35 minutes lining the bottom bolt up through the quick connect frame and trying to get that cover in the right place for the bolt to catch the threads, none of which you can see while doing it. It was way more miserable than it needed to be, but I finally got it. The top bolt was easy, because you can see the holes light up, unlike the bottom setup. Even though it would make sense that once the top bolt was inserted, the bottom would have to line up, but it sure didn't want to.

My intention is to take that cover off regularily to lubricate the chain and check that everything stays tight, so if I had to go through this frustration everytime, it was going to be a long winter! I welded a couple pieces of 1/2" wide flat stock at a 45 degree angle and attached one top and bottom to the cover piece with 1/4" bolts. I then drilled holes for the bolts to attach down through an existing hole on the quick attach frame, which allows me to see the holes line up and I can easily get a washer, lock washer, and nut on the bottom of the bolt. The top bracket uses another hole on the reduction gear box support that was not used for anything previously. I could have used the top bolt and threads on the cover, but it seemed pretty fragile and so I went with a matching bracket up top. I'm not sure if the picture will be all that great, since everything was painted black to match the cover. The cover fits tightly between the frame and the support bracket, so was having to try and fingertip the thing out of there. I just added a handle to adjust the cover to where the bolts will drop through and is now easy to put on and take off.

Another $15.00 solution to a $ .05 problem from Dyer, retired.

Attachments

• Reduction Gear Cover.jpg
    Reduction Gear Cover.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 212
   / B2782 Blower Reduction Gear Cover Mod. #2  
I've been fighting the same dilemna for my third season now.I'm getting better at it,but still struggle at times.I rest the quick hitch on a 6 x 6,start the top bolt about a turn,then down on my knees trying to twist the bolt until it catches.I've thought about using an air rachet to keep the bolt spinning,wiggling things until it catches.
You've certainly solved the problem for you-good deal.Anyone else have ideas here?

/ B2782 Blower Reduction Gear Cover Mod.
I've been fighting the same dilemna for my third season now.I'm getting better at it,but still struggle at times.I rest the quick hitch on a 6 x 6,start the top bolt about a turn,then down on my knees trying to twist the bolt until it catches.I've thought about using an air rachet to keep the bolt spinning,wiggling things until it catches.
You've certainly solved the problem for you-good deal.Anyone else have ideas here?

How often do you take your cover off? I was surprised on my old blower to find the number of allen set screws and bolts loose inside after a couple of uses and wondered if you find that on the 2782? So far, if they're tight, I'm leaving them alone, but will use some blue loctite on them as they are found loose. Also, on the old blower, I could dribble some bar oil down on the chain through one of the cover holes, but I can't really see how well it's hitting on this one, so I'm electing to take the cover off each time....about every third storm or so. Dyer, retired

/ B2782 Blower Reduction Gear Cover Mod. #4  
I remove the cover every 4-7 engine hours to lube the chain.I also back-blade some,so it's not all blower hours.The only thing ever to come loose so far was the set screw on the big gear.Blue locktite fixed that so far.I've been using Lucas oil stabilizer as chain lube.A biker friend recomended it as the best since he'd tried everything.The quart bottle will last for years-$12 or so.The O-ring chain has never been dry when cover is removed.
I place the PTO lever in rear only so the front driveshaft will rotate by hand,then rotate the fan a half turn of so,run the lube down each side of the links,repeat 5-6 times until I've gone all the way around.I'm always alone when I'm doing service work,but if a friend was available,I'd have him rotate the fan slowly and I'd apply the lube through the small left side hole where the chain is visible and leave the cover on.Since I put about I accumulate about 35 engine hours per winter,I grease the fittings mid season,although it seems that they would probably go all season just fine.Hope that wasn't too much information.Good Luck!

/ B2782 Blower Reduction Gear Cover Mod. #5  
I have the same blower on my tractor and you don't need to remove anything to lube the chain, correct. The chain can be lubed from the opening on the left side.

/ B2782 Blower Reduction Gear Cover Mod.
number two,

That was great information and helpful. I have been using chain saw bar oil for the chain and, like you, have never found the chain to be dry, but I very regular about checking it. The old blower and the loose stuff made me paranoid, but it got fixed with the blue loctite and once I'm satisfied that things are staying in place, I'll lube the chain as smfcpacfp suggested. I also have been using the back blade more in the early part of the season, so I'm not pitching rocks half a mile. The ground is freezing now and it sounds like I may be using the blower in the morning up here. Dyer, retired