B29 Overheard

/ B29 Overheard
We drove over to Toledo yesterday to ride bike trails, and had F16's flying over us all morning. Later in the afternoon while sitting outside at home, we heard a distinct engine sound flying overhead so I checked flight radar. B-25J directly over us. Pretty cool day to see and hear both of those.
Yeah, that would be a good day! (y)

/ B29 Overheard
My wife and I took our kids on vacation to the east coast quite a while back. We were in Virginia Beach one day and kept getting flights of F-14s roaring over us. They'd fly in, buzz the field, crank the engines, circle around and land. Over and over for a couple hours. Turns out that was the day they were offloading from a carrier off-shore, and this was most likely their last flights, as they were decommissioning the F-14s forever. Sad day, looking back on it. 😢

/ B29 Overheard #53  
   / B29 Overheard #55  
As I recall, the only radial engine planes I've actually flown in are Beech 18's.
Hmm. You started me thinking. My Dad took me for a ride in an old biplane when I was 5 or 6 years old (What a treat!). I have flown in the old Trans Texas Airlines DC3's a couple of times (interesting experience, fun if you liked stopping in every cow pasture between Albuquerque and Odessa). Have flown a few times in a twin engine commuter plane. First jet ride was in a 707 back in the 60's.

/ B29 Overheard #56  
My most exotic were seaplanes.

I had a boss who loved taking off and landing from the many lakes in central Florida.

We’d start in Tampa and go to Orlando landing and taking off from every lake in between.

Something a tad disconcerting going in for a landing on a lake!

MoKelly

/ B29 Overheard #57  
As I recall, the only radial engine planes I've actually flown in are Beech 18's.
An old USN saying: "Having SNB time (Beach 18) in your logbook is like having VD in your health record".
I do not have either!

Last edited:
   / B29 Overheard #59  
When I was in college in El Paso in the 60’s, we lived about 4 miles straight off the end of the runway of Biggs Field. At that time B-52’s were stationed there. A couple of times a year they would scramble. The tankers took off first followed by four 52’s. For about 5 minutes there was the most ungodly roar. We were close enough that you could hear them power up on the runway and when they passed over the house at 1000’ or so the whole house shook.

With summer temps above 100* and 3500 MSL they were straining to get airborne. Glad none of those 4 nukes onboard stopped at my house :eek:

The sound of freedom!

/ B29 Overheard #60  
9FD4B2FB-31D9-4910-B5E8-A9B4A7F39B7F.jpeg
ED8905B9-8D53-49A0-93FB-F225BA0AF9B6.jpeg

top pic is of my Dad’s B-29 crew on Tinian 1945
bottom pic is the photos from his service I had matted and framed for him.